PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Type Rating onto JAA ATPL

The_Broon
23rd Aug 2011, 05:17
This might not be the right place to post this, and I can move it if someone thinks a better area would provide better answers.

I have a Qatari ATPL with an A330 P2 Type Rating. I have over 700 hours on type and would now like to transfer this onto my JAA ATPL.

Any ideas about how to do this?

BillieBob
23rd Aug 2011, 09:07
Depends on your JAA state of licence issue. The UK, for example, does not issue P2 type ratings and so you would have to qualify for issue of an unrestricted PIC rating. This involves completing type rating training at the discretion of the Head of Traning of a TRTO and passing the approved theoretical knowledge examination and skill test. Other JAA member states that do issue P2 type ratings may have different requirements.

The_Broon
23rd Aug 2011, 14:33
Thanks Billie Bob,

I have a UK issued license. Although I have the rating on my Qatari ATLP, I actually did the type rating through Oxford Aviation in Stockholm (including theory). The only issue is that the LST was completed by a Qatari examiner under QCAA legislation. Therefore I didn't do the actual LST under a JAA TRTO - only the training portion. Oxford has advised that they will give me any paperwork needed if it will help with the UK CAA. Our company sims in Doha are also JAA Approved (why, I have no idea). If I submitted the training paperwork from Oxford, and completed my next LPC/OPC with a JAA Approved instructor/examiner here in Doha, would that suffice?

I've been trying to get my head around LASORS F9.1 and F9.2 but not getting very far. And the UK CAA has been little help so far.

BillieBob
23rd Aug 2011, 15:47
Impossible to say what the CAA would do. In the run-up to EU Regulation they seem to have thrown LASORS away and are making things up as they go along. However, I doubt that they would accept your next LPC/OPC as it would, by definition, be for revalidation of a P2 rating. Even if they do accept the OAA training, I would expect them to insist on an LST as PIC, conducted by a JAA TRE.

The only way you can get a definitive answer is to contact the policy geeks at Gatwick, if you've got a day or two to spare - their service standards seem to have been thrown out with everything else. Their e-mail is [email protected]

The_Broon
25th Aug 2011, 10:36
Really appreciate the advice,
Cheers.