PDA

View Full Version : Avro RJ - Additional Fuel Tanks

Cseries
23rd Aug 2011, 03:00
Hi all,

Is it possible to permanently install additional fuel tanks (in cargo hold) on Avro RJ's in order to boost the aircrafts range?

Many thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Aug 2011, 07:17
I don't know the RJ series, but know a 146-300 with cargo hold extended range tanks.

Not a brilliant system because of the way the fuel feed works - if the system is down to minima it can take over an hour to refuel, but we get 5hrs+ out of the bird. It is a bit of a one-off aeroplane however and I'm not sure how well the mods would map to a true passenger aeroplane.

G

Boss Raptor
23rd Aug 2011, 07:51
There has long been available a 'pannier/shoulder tank' available for the RJ from BAe (not the 146) this fits behind the wing, it is available as I understand it for all RJ's but I am not sure of exact advantages although it is an extra 1 hour+ on range - contact BAe

Cseries
23rd Aug 2011, 08:38
Thanks very much

Teddy Robinson
23rd Aug 2011, 14:03
probably, is it certifiable? probably not as it means pumping fuel uphill through the cabin area to the center tank, is it affordable ? see is it certifiable.
is it worthwhile ? going a long way slowly .. I think the best thing about the design is the fuel load limitation, which narrowly beats the comfort limit of about 3 hours max !