PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian doubts over QF sponsored alliance.

hotnhigh
23rd Aug 2011, 02:36
Interesting read.
MAS mulls delaying alliance, A380s as losses mount - The Malaysian Insider (http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/mas-mulls-delaying-alliance-a380s-as-losses-mount)

DrPepz
23rd Aug 2011, 03:15
HAHAHAHAHAA. Didn't I say ad naseaum on this forum that the Malaysians are not going to just let QF waltz into KL and start their lovely single-aisle-premium-carrier-that's-better-than-the-A380-product airline?

“MAS is going to be a premium airline and if Qantas goes ahead with its plans, there will be competition. An alliance might not work then, apart from the costs of meeting the alliance’s standards,” the source said.

Who just got slapped? It took my company and I about 2 weeks of working in Malaysia to figure out how things worked there, and to either do things on their terms, or walk off. Is QF seriously that dumb?

But what's dumber though? Putting that premium airline in SIN to compete head on with SQ?

The thing about this Alan Joyce is why does he go to the media and disclose all his stupid plans? Months in advance he would say "I am thinking of starting Rome or Athens with a SIN base". or "I think I want a premium A320 with lie flat seats". or "I think I want to form an airline with MAS" - all motherhood statements with no basis or consultation with his stakeholders whatsoever.

SQ is forming their new LCC - probably because QF said months in advance that they want to fly A330s to Southern Europe. So in anticipation of potentially losing those rights, SQ forms their LCC to bid for the limited slots available and get them first. The old SQ management just sat by idly as their marketshare was eroded in their homebase by the likes of Jetstar. The new SQ management won't sit by idly and let that happen.

Does SQ's CEO go to every media outlet on earth giving interviews as to which airport this new LCC will fly to? No - he hasn't even given this airline a NAME.

Even TG is looking clever next to this bunch of amateurs in QF.

DutchRoll
23rd Aug 2011, 03:27
Is QF seriously that dumb?

Do you seriously need to ask that question?

Jabawocky
23rd Aug 2011, 03:29
............complaining they can't make a buck :rolleyes:........with lower wages of all sorts of staff.

So pilot and CC T's& C's can't be such a big cost driver after all. :ugh:

V-Jet
23rd Aug 2011, 03:59
DrPepz. Nice post, but where do you live?
Months in advance he would say "I am thinking of starting Rome or Athens with a SIN base". or "I think I want a premium A320 with lie flat seats". or "I think I want to form an airline with MAS" - all motherhood statements with no basis or consultation with his stakeholders whatsoever.

Qf's Malaysian solution is simply mirroring the Australian Government's Malaysian/Timor/Indonesian/PNG (insert crisis of your choice) solution.

In line with clear worlds best practice, why would anyone _possibly_ consult with stakeholders _before_ making an announcement?

DrPepz
23rd Aug 2011, 04:36
V Jet, I am Singaporean but have lived in Australia before. Anyway QF is not entirely alone in this - lots of Singaporean companies get burned doing business in Asia cos our way of doing things is more straightforward, like in the West. But as with any country, a good understanding of the political process is always helpful. For example, SGX messed up their whole political lobbying process for the acquisition of ASX. They didn't even put anyone in Canberra to lobby for it, for example.

I have relatives in Malaysia and many friends there too. We speak and sound like each other. We enjoy the same food and talk about the same things. 300,000 of them work in Singapore, and even I find it difficult to tell a Singaporean from a Malaysian (regardless of ethnicity)

However Malaysia operates entirely differently from Singapore. They have exciting politics, different races have their power bases, and all deals have to placate these various power bases. It is not straightforward, and it takes a lot of patience to understand how things are done there. We may sound like each other and love satay and chilli crab, but that's about where the similarities end!

V-Jet
23rd Aug 2011, 04:53
I was being facetious, you are of course correct. I see my airlines lunatic governance being as bad as my country's governance.

Malaysian solution in both cases will be a disaster!

Ejector
23rd Aug 2011, 07:07
The swap enabled AirAsia bosses Tan Sri Tony Fernandes and his partner Datuk Seri Kamaruddin Meranun to sit on the MAS board