PDA

View Full Version : someone please tell QANTAS

lynn789
22nd Aug 2011, 21:19
QANTAS is still advising passangers re flights from US airports to be there at least 90 minuts before departure.
it should be 180 minutes due to extra security required by latest bomb attempt

qantas uses a 24 hour clock in their timetables, very confusing for US passengers as their VCRs use a 12 hour clock for programming with am and pm, so a 24 hour clock confuses them, perhaps am and pm should be added to the times

Di_Vosh
22nd Aug 2011, 22:55
Lynn,

Why don't YOU tell Qantas? It takes less than one minute to start at the qantas website

Qantas flights | Flight deals | Holidays | Hotels | Car hire (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/home/au/en)

to get to the customer help/feedback page.

Help - Feedback (http://qantas.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/qantas.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?p_cats=3&cat_lvl1=1)

I suggest, though, that you make an attempt to make your complaint a bit more readable than your post here.

Chuchinchow
23rd Aug 2011, 06:09
qantas uses a 24 hour clock in their timetables, very confusing for US passengers as their VCRs use a 12 hour clock for programming with am and pm, so a 24 hour clock confuses them, perhaps am and pm should be added to the times

It does not seem to be confusing for people from other countries.

If one uses the 24-hour clock one will be spared the embarrassment - and the possible extra expense - of showing up at an airport either twelve hours too early, or a similar period too late.

As my grandson told me once, "Get over it!"

Ancient Observer
23rd Aug 2011, 12:47
No-one can tell a legacy carrier such as qantas, anything.

As is all too evident from staff postings on pprune, they already know everything that there is to know.

PAXboy
23rd Aug 2011, 14:25
Indeed ALL corporations know everything. Last week, the delivery driver for one of the UK main supermakets were talking about the process he had to follow and the equipment provided. I jokingly said, "So why don't you tell your boss that?" He replied, "What's the point, they already know everything ..."

Same the world over.

WHBM
23rd Aug 2011, 19:13
Going back to the original post, it does NOT take 3 hours to screen international passengers. In fact at just about every US airport I have used, domestic and international depart from a mixed use set of gates (arrivals are different due to the need for customs etc). Nor have there been any changes to Minimum Connecting Times for domestic to International flights. I don't know where this comes from.

Reminds me of a travel agent in the UK who told me that a flight at 0700 from London Cityto Paris required an absolute minimum check in of 2 hours "because it is international". I pointed out that the London City terminal building was not even unlocked until 0515 in the morning.

Regarding the 24-hour clock (known in the US as "Military Time"), I believe that all international carriers from the US use this and have done for many years. In fact I have just had a quick look at all the Pan Am(of all carriers) flight timetables in my historic collection from the 1950s-60s, and they all have times in the 24 hour clock as well. So I don't know where that one comes from either.

Atlas Shrugged
25th Aug 2011, 04:09

That's the second funniest thing I have ever read on pPrune!

FFS! :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

WillDAQ
25th Aug 2011, 10:43

It's deliberate, it reduces the amount of self loading stupid that the airline has to carry.

Three Thousand Rule
25th Aug 2011, 14:12
Don't be cruel, you can count on your fingers to 10 and then use your ears for the other 2 hours.

Counting to 24 is very difficult and I am surprised that anyone is being so beastly to Americans for having trouble with working the time out on the military clock.

radeng
25th Aug 2011, 14:18
Long before the military were using the 24 hour clock, railways over most of Europe were doing so. It's not that long ago that the navy told the time by bells.....

PilotsAnonymous
25th Aug 2011, 23:46
I hate to say it, but most Americans are so-called blinkers*...

* A blinker is someone who does not understand any electronic equipment, how userfriendly it may be. All his/her electronics still blink 00:00.