PDA

View Full Version : Another Stall/Spin fatal crash...

M14_P
22nd Aug 2011, 05:54
Yet another classic case of overconfident and too laid back in the cockpit while doing aerobatic flying at low altitude.
He goes to a 45 line, then into a fairly normal lomcovak, it sadly goes into an inverted flat spin. His subsequent actions do not demonstrate his 15 years aerobatic flying thats for sure.
When teaching inverted spins (including flat and accelerated) the most important thing Idrill into my students, is NEUTRALISE everything if you don't complete a maneuvre as you expected to or if things get the least bit confusing while inverted. All you have to do then, is roll wings to level and ease out of the dive.
This pilot had plenty of time to fix the botched lomcovak and yet he committed a beginner's mistake by trying to fly a fully stalled plane.

Sorry for the rant, but I just cannot believe the sheer number of highly experienced fellow aerobatic pilots paying the ultimate price for painfully simple errors.
That aside, the aircraft too, known as "the beast", a highly modified one off Pitts Model 12 is now no more.
I read there was a fatal accident involving a Red Arrows crash recently, and that along with the air to air at Duxford weeks ago.....You don't see low time aerobatic pilots generally involved in these accidents, it tends to be the seasoned professionals getting a bit too complacent perhaps, that are committing such silly and avoidable mistakes.
I would have said that he was too low in this case, but frankly for someone of his experience, it should have been a straight forward recovery, landing and change of underwear and the crowd wouldn't have known a thing.

Pilot Bryan Jensen crashes his plane on a dangerous stunt at Kansas City air show - YouTube