PDA

View Full Version : 11 Years of Ppruning

LowNSlow
22nd Aug 2011, 04:02
I've just realised that this months marks 11 years of Ppruning for me and what an enjoyable boredom reliever it has been. I do miss the old Pprune chat though, that was a hoot most of the time.

Thanks Danny, you've helped me while away unproductive time (even when it was supposed to be productive) in some of the more dismal parts of the world! :ok: :ok:

ehwatezedoing
22nd Aug 2011, 04:07
I'll second that!

:p

Howard Hughes
22nd Aug 2011, 06:22
I'll third that!

Well next month...:ok:

stumpey
22nd Aug 2011, 06:40
Here's hoping your around for at least another eleven years LowNslow......Cheers:ok:

Buster Hyman
22nd Aug 2011, 07:32
You young-uns are all the same....:*

hailstone
22nd Aug 2011, 08:49
I'd say - am not as active though

Flap 5
22nd Aug 2011, 12:40
11 years? Pah! That's nothing ... :)

Checkboard
22nd Aug 2011, 12:47
Indeed! You're ALL too young to know what REAL PPRuNing is .. why when I first signed on ... ;)

Capetonian
22nd Aug 2011, 13:15
Time flies ........ only 6 months to go and I make 11 years. When I was in fulltime employment I had lots of time to waste. Since I stopped working full time, now that my time is my own I spend less time on Pprune!

Slasher
22nd Aug 2011, 13:20
Fruit is less tasty when its no longer forbidden Cape.

ShyTorque
22nd Aug 2011, 23:44
11 years?

May 1995.... that makes it just over 16 years now. I need help..... :p

fernytickles
23rd Aug 2011, 02:36
So who has "Ppruning" on the hobbies or interests section of their cv/resume?

Buster Hyman
23rd Aug 2011, 03:05
It comes under 'Priors' on my rap sheet....

Crepello
23rd Aug 2011, 03:35
Amen to all the above - and nice to see us Old Timers sticking together. I likewise miss chat, but admit it was dangerously addictive. I miss Marge too, but let's not go there. :E :O

Slasher
23rd Aug 2011, 04:38
I miss

Marge
Feeton
Chemical Man
The Guvnor
Snailtrails
Tricky Woo
Seaman Staines

the most. :(

The Guv would be celebrating...what 17 years wouldn't he?

jet_noseover
23rd Aug 2011, 04:48
The Guv would be celebrating...what 17 years wouldn't he?

He will be shortly...in jail.

:)

Slasher
23rd Aug 2011, 04:49
Yeh I meant if he wasn't in the slammer.

jet_noseover
23rd Aug 2011, 04:56
yeah, it's been 11 years for me as well. Had to "re-register" after the meltdown..

I have not talked to Tricky Woo for 3 years now..He popps on and off these days Happy with his green house on the hill, I guess. Good chap!

sirwa69
23rd Aug 2011, 05:35
11 years for me too in a couple of weeks :}

criticalmass
23rd Aug 2011, 08:03
Just a bit over 11 years now...my how the time flies!

I also miss the old days of Pprune chat with Foxfire and co. Hilarious stuff in the late evenings. Don't think I can even get into the chatroom now. :rolleyes:

Octopussy2
23rd Aug 2011, 12:56
I joined either in 1999 or 2000 (under another name) so I'm at the 11/12 year point. Dread to think how much of my employers' time I've wasted since then!

Still miss Agony Aunt and the wit and wisdom of various pprooners no longer, or seldom, with us.

Still have a vivid memory of sitting in my office in London, during the afternoon of 9/11, following events via Pprune Chat, as all the news sites has crashed, including one chap who was a few blocks away in NYC describing what he could see. Absolutely surreal.

truckie
23rd Aug 2011, 15:57
,97 for me.original nom lost in the meltdown. Not many users then, and the system sent a selection of threads by e-mail weekly, so ya didn't miss anything!

pigboat
23rd Aug 2011, 16:55
criticalmass how ya doing? I still play that cd you sent. :ok:

Anyone remember the tale of the DC-3 on the pole in PNG, where the Captain feathers the left engine and sends the co-pilot out the cargo door to retrieve the gear pins? I think that's how it went. How about the runaway seat procedure for the airbus? I used to have both those threads on a cd somewhere, but can't find 'em.

parabellum
23rd Aug 2011, 23:30
So what happened just about eleven years ago that brought so many of you to PPRuNe, must have been something significant, No? (9/11 perhaps?).

Joined April 1997 as Charley Brown, about six different names since then.

pigboat
23rd Aug 2011, 23:53
So what happened just about eleven years ago that brought so many of you to PPRuNe...
An Afghani Airlines 727 was hijacked to Luton? Stanstead? someplace. I was looking for info and stumbled across this board. The rest, as they say...

Crepello
24th Aug 2011, 05:09
Ah, eleven years ago... as a relatively late vocation, I'd reached the final assessment centre of a major's Ab Initio scheme. Which I fluffed, and was then too old to reapply. :{ But I enjoyed the company here so stuck around. Just wish I had transcripts of some of those evenings on chat!

Infrequent visitor nowadays, what with wife and kids to feed/clothe/obey. And while the wheat:chaff ratio has deteriorated over the years, I kinda miss some characters of yesteryear. Anyone remember the eccentric regular whose multiple 'noms de pprune' were betrayed by overstated pride in her eternally forthcoming "University Degree"? :E

jet_noseover
24th Aug 2011, 05:28
So what happened just about eleven years ago that brought so many of you to PPRuNe...

Towerdog and his evil ways, Hot Dog and his gentle ways..

If TowerDog reads this..Takeoff my friend, is moi. Where is Per?

Slasher
24th Aug 2011, 06:21
Anyone know what happened to the Raptor brothers? Namely Boss and Unwell?

tony draper
24th Aug 2011, 07:33
I remember someone set up a joke prune website that took the piss out of us all,one suspects those rough chaps in the Mil forum.:E

ShyTorque
24th Aug 2011, 08:29
I remember someone set up a joke prune website that took the piss out of us all,one suspects those rough chaps in the Mil forum.

That's this one, isn't it? He's called Danny.... ;)

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2011, 08:43
The great Jet Blast invasion of R&N was a highlight for me.... I'll never forget Danny whipping out his big stick & waving it at us....happy days....:}

Flypuppy
24th Aug 2011, 14:15
I remember someone set up a joke prune website that took the piss out of us all,one suspects those rough chaps in the Mil forum.
Tony, it wasn't anyone from the military forum...

I have been here from the start, receiving Danny's email lists before the bulletin board was invented I think. I can still remember the dialing tone of the 14.4k modem in the mid-90's.

Crap, looks like I got old :bored:

tony draper
24th Aug 2011, 14:41
Mid-90s ?,I still hear that every time I log on.
You wont catch me forking our for one of these new fangled 56k jobs.:uhoh:

stewmath
24th Aug 2011, 17:26
back in 1997 Flypuppy (http://www.pprune.org/members/13013-flypuppy) when you joined i was 13 years old and hadnt even got a pc then. lol. I was an I.T. geek without a computer, how funny is that. Used to spend my lunch hours at school in the computer room until finally got my own computer back in 2000. I should of joined back then, lol

redsnail
24th Aug 2011, 19:02
I think I got an email or two but soon after the BB was built. :ok:

Checkboard
24th Aug 2011, 20:27

Year 2000 - the dot.com boom hit it's high, bringing computers to the attention of the masses, ADSL rollout became common, allowing quite a few to access without a dial up (in Aus at least) - and the Aussie invasion to PPRuNe sparked Jetblast and Dunnunder .... even with dial-up, Australia had a fixed local call fee (not timed) so once access was granted you could spend all day on line ...

The SSK
24th Aug 2011, 20:49
Must have been that long since I stumbled in here, seeking sanity after rec.travel.air (which by now is the aviation bulletin board equivalent of Somalia).

I note that of the posters so far, Basil has the best member number ... :E

Flypuppy
24th Aug 2011, 22:09
back in 1997 Flypuppy when you joined i was 13 years old and hadnt even got a pc then. lol. I was an I.T. geek without a computer, how funny is that. Used to spend my lunch hours at school in the computer room until finally got my own computer back in 2000. I should of joined back then, lol

Thanks for making me feel even older! My join date is the one allocated to me after one of the legendary server crashes (I think there were 3 major ones where everyone had to re-register). I first started getting Danny's digests when I had a compuserve email address, a very very slow modem and a 384 processor pc. Stuff that you couldn't give away today cost thousands back then.

bluddyhell, I sound like a grumpy old duffer :eek:

Welcome to the Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork (http://web.archive.org/web/20000606195738/http://pprune.org/)

con-pilot
25th Aug 2011, 01:49
My first join date was in late 1998 under a different name, ozone ranger if I remember correctly. I changed it because everybody thought I was from Australia and didn't want them to be insulted having someone like me representing them. :p

I was looking to hire some pilots and was looking to a pilot's employment site and found this in the process.

The rest, as they say, is history. :\

Pinky the pilot
25th Aug 2011, 03:05
Con-Pilot; This particular Aussie would never be insulted if others thought you were one of us lot.:ok:

As for me; I joined up under a different handle several months prior to my current name purely because someone told me of the site's existence and that there were a few ex PNG types with their own thread running in the Aussie section.

Had a Mod cancel the original handle and reregistered in April 2002.

Flypuppy
25th Aug 2011, 08:46
Hmmmm, the irony.
Mods, if you are going to go to the trouble of editing and deleting posts why not let people know? :ugh:

sea oxen
25th Aug 2011, 09:08
Checkboard

There was an article in the Bulletin, I think, by Max Walsh which mentioned PPrune and said he was a fan.

The synapse holding the exact year died, but circumstantial evidence points to late 1999 or early 2000. Google is no help. I am too lazy to go through my correspondence to pin it down.

SO

BombayDuck
25th Aug 2011, 10:40
So at this moment, redsnail is winning this thread unless I have missed a user or two! :ok:

Flypuppy, Slasher and Checkboard get honourable mentions!

BombayDuck
25th Aug 2011, 10:55
That said, what's the lowest and highest for start year minus birth year? Mine comes out to 20. I'm sure there are a lot of newbies in the wannabe sections who started younger.

But I'm in JB and I'm still around! :p

vulcanised
25th Aug 2011, 12:52
It was 1855 when I first registered.

Straight after my tea.

ShyTorque
25th Aug 2011, 13:00
So at this moment, redsnail is winning this thread unless I have missed a user or two!
Flypuppy, Slasher and Checkboard get honourable mentions!

Nah, Reddo's a mere newcomer :E . I remember her flying a red Twin Otter and riding a Ducati Junior in Oz back then (and she fell off the bike).

I was member number around #72, IIRC, back in mid 1995 (on my 14.4K modem) and was certainly the first rotary pilot on the BBS. I was seen as having a very different outlook to the airline types due to my SAR helicopter background. Danny used to fly turbo-props, was doing his exams. He began by sending out email updates every night, IIRC, but then he began working more nights away downroute and it slipped to every week. As more members joined it became unmanageable and the format had to change to be more in line with what we see today.

I was registered under the username "Sarboy" back then. There have been three total crashes, I think. During one outage I relocated 6,000 miles and found I had lost the username when someone else grabbed it before I got back online, very disappointing at the time. I notice the "new" Sarboy hasn't posted since 2002 but never mind.

tony draper
25th Aug 2011, 13:08
Early ppruner.:rolleyes:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/EtchaSketch.jpg

redsnail
25th Aug 2011, 13:11
I remember "Sarboy" :D

It wasn't a red Twotter, it was a red islander. The blue twotter was later.
redsnail is an anagram of islander. :ok:

ShyTorque
25th Aug 2011, 19:37
Thanks, Reddo for correcting me there; it was a very long time ago. :O

You were often to be found around these parts as a double act with that other young gel, Jazzi back then. How is she these days? Settled down like you?

redsnail
25th Aug 2011, 19:58
jazzi was kicked off this site during the sale transition... :( She's alive and well. Divorced etc. Her son's going through some dramas but otherwise, all's good.

Checkboard
25th Aug 2011, 20:14
Is it frightening that, if you are around long enough, you end up marrying the other long-termers? :eek:

ShyTorque
25th Aug 2011, 20:34
My wife would object.... ;)

Davaar
25th Aug 2011, 20:35
Early ppruner

With sandals? At all? but with socks too? Would the Pink Mod, or any lady mod, allow that to pass?

Captain Airclues
26th Aug 2011, 01:17
I joined when PPRuNe was in its e-mail phase (my join date was reset during the meltdown). It was an exciting time and I made many new friends. I will always remember the ashbash in May 2000 (especially Flypuppy playing the bagpipes in the Stansted Hilton).
It's been great knowing you all and PPRuNe keeps me in touch with the aviation world now that I'm retired.
I'll revert to my shortened name tomorrow.

Dave

vulcanised
26th Aug 2011, 13:13
when PPRuNe was in its e-mail phase

Sheer looxury !

Some had to make do with chucking stone tablets across the room.

Nopax,thanx
26th Aug 2011, 15:39
Yep, just before the meltdown for me too (Nopaxthanx), then re-registered. Spent wayyyyy too much time on it during my "working" day, how I didn't get red carded I'll never know. Only got banned by the mods once too, and that was a mistake!

Anyone remember Dingducky and Hugmonster???

Slasher
26th Aug 2011, 17:56
Sheer looxury !

Some had to make do with chucking stone tablets across the room.

YOU had stone tablets? Danny must've thought the sun shone
out of your arse lad - WE had to rely on notes sent on pigeons
all the way from the UK, and posts sent the same way back!

Tricky Woo
29th Sep 2011, 14:22
Had to post this to see how long it's been since I registered. But I can't read the date until I've clicked on submit, so one shall pretend to look to the left and say "gosh, so long?"

Tis a funny thing, addiction. During my active years I'd get into a right old sweat if I hadn't hit the post button for a day or two. After I became less... active, I became even less active, round and round until I kind of fell out of the habit. One still pops in now and again for a quick butchers hook, but yes the itch has passed, and now I tend to buggah off quietly, and my energy goes into other stuff. Not another forum, as PPRUNE (really Jet Blast, the forum within a forum) remains my first and only love.

Thems wot accuse me of slinking off in a lather of jealousy due to the unwarranted success of Herr D's Totally Pointless Snippets thread are incorrect. One does not seethe much. One seethes a very very lot. Nevertheless, that Snippets thread represents a forum within a forum within a forum, so in a way's the bastard grandchild of PPRUNE.

Gosh, so long?

TW

er340790
29th Sep 2011, 14:34
Eeeh... when I were a lad, all this were virtual fields....

tony draper
29th Sep 2011, 15:30
Ayeee!!!,the Woo person is at large.:uhoh::rolleyes:

MagnusP
29th Sep 2011, 15:36
Mr Woo? With the funny eye that flickers?

Storminnorm
29th Sep 2011, 15:37
Good to hear from you Tricky Woo.

mixture
29th Sep 2011, 15:41
Had to post this to see how long it's been since I registered. But I can't read the date until I've clicked on submit, so one shall pretend to look to the left and say "gosh, so long?"

Just because you've only logged 110 posts, doesn't mean you can post a vanity one to pad up the numbers..... :E

See at the top right of the screen where your username is shown when logged in ? Thus.....

Welcome, mixture.

Click on your username, and look on the right hand side in "mini statistics"

12th Aug 2002

Loose rivets
29th Sep 2011, 15:44
Oh, okay then.

crumbs! Thought I was a newcomer.:suspect: Darn post count. I demand to have my full post count. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Wait to see what happens.

mixture
29th Sep 2011, 15:45
But nonetheless, I suddenly feel old..... not quite the 11 years of the masters, but 9 years is bad enough !

Still, three cheers and long live PPRuNe .... I only wish they would fix the forum software !

Lon More
29th Sep 2011, 15:56
Says 1999 when i log in but I'm sure I was here earlier.
Danny was based on Fraggle Rock IIRC

Storminnorm
29th Sep 2011, 17:09
Only been here a couple of years. It just seems longer.

visibility3miles
29th Sep 2011, 22:23
Flypuppy playing the bagpipes

What's the YouTube link? :):)

11Fan
29th Sep 2011, 22:43
quT767Kkv9c

Cacophonix
29th Sep 2011, 23:11
11 Fan

Like my mom I am an Anglo snob. As those fans spool up I hope they are Rolls Royces...

Caco

galaxy flyer
30th Sep 2011, 02:01
Coming up on 9 years for me, time flies when one is having fun. Good boredom relief, lots of great people (even, maybe especially those I've disagreed with, after all, if we all agreed, some of us would redundant) and fun. Also, learned a lot on technical aspects of aviation. But, not here on JB. :}

GF

Wholigan
30th Sep 2011, 09:57
Lon

Says 1999 when i log in but I'm sure I was here earlier.

I'm sure I remember correctly and I think there was a major server glitch in 99 and all records of join dates were wiped. I think what happened then was that all current members were given a join date around the time of the pooter being fixed.

redsnail
30th Sep 2011, 10:32
Flypuppy with the bagpipes was pretty funny.
WWW cartwheeling down the lobby was hilarious. The poor FAs didn't know what to make of it.

Actually, the hotel manager trying to take Flypuppy's bagpipes away was a definite highlight. Admittedly, it was past midnight..

There was an incident with a table and some glasses too.. :E

Keef
30th Sep 2011, 11:13
Mine's lost in the mists of time and the meltdown - I disappeared for a while around then. I was "moderating" another mailing-list type aviation site back in the 14k4 days, and one chap on that was furiously writing stuff for PPRuNe.

Goodness me - is that really the time?

Mac the Knife
30th Sep 2011, 11:47
Still the same nick as when I started all those years ago.

Don't know how I found PPRuNe or why I joined or why I keep coming back.

Just habit, like an old whore I guess.

I miss some of the wilder ding-dong arguments we used to have - ye olde Tartan Gannet was a doughty adversary.

So it goes.

Selah!

Mac

timmcat
30th Sep 2011, 13:18
Someone mentioned Aunt Mary. It'll end in tears.

Celebrated my own 10th anniversary earlier this month. I think I'd been lurking for about a year prior to that then eventually plucked up the courage to 'contribute' and had to register.

I've made so many friends around the world as a consequence it's pretty incredible. Some coincidences too - like finding out that one of the tecchy brains behind the site was a school pal, and that when talking on chat one night to a regular many years ago, it turned out that not only did she live quite locally to me (I had no idea) in her job as a midwife she had looked after one of my babies in hospital when born, and that I had a picture of her 'handing over' the child outside the hospital. :)

AA SLF
1st Oct 2011, 19:58
Ah Yes, a full decade and then some. This thread has brought up so many "names" of yore. Memories, fer sure. Here is a few more names for yaz: Trinflight (prolly his most familiar moniker amongst others): Northern Chicque (riding her EMS van); Pilots Pal - yummy! Capt. Veg (world reknown arms merchant, wud cut ya a deal on box-new AK-47s): Trained Monkey (TM - aka) (last known to be workin for the CIA) Sick Squid - still flying?? Col. StbdD, good moderator, and sum woman living in the basement in Lunnan Town before she were saved by a good Man . . . . . :ok:

JB sagas ya ask? Jazzi's Lament: The Pink War Machine: Down line with the Captain (oh my - made me blush to read that one) and of course - Broken Pilot. Folks, they dunna make 'em like those anymore, sad to say.

PpRuNe chat - McD, JudyTT, FireFox, Velvet. Those were the days I tells ya ! ! Why is it I remember the ladies names more so than the fellers ?? . . . . :E

Memories - so fondly remembered . . . . .

BenThere
1st Oct 2011, 20:33
I've BenHere a while and am so grateful for the discussions, heated debates, friends I've made, thoughts the site made me conceive, and all the rest.

I cherish the experience of Ppruning.

Maybe I'm getting old, or the site isn't the world-wide nexus of aviation-oriented thinkers it once was, but regardless, I've throttled back somewhat.

I felt that some of my kindred spirits were capriciously sent packing, and it took some fire from my own belly.

I continue, though, to enjoy Pprune, and it has been one of the highlights of my pathetic existence.

Cheers to all, friend and foe.

Sailor Vee
2nd Oct 2011, 12:25
Have to admit this is my 3rd moniker, first hit PpRuNe in 1995, whilst being a North Sea Bus Driver, times have changed since then!

international hog driver
2nd Oct 2011, 23:31
For me it was November 1996, my chief pilot at the time introduced me to it:ok:

Danny was still pushing the Gemstone Budgie to and from Fraggle Rock, there were two forums, R&N & JB..... and it was just a BBS.

My hero will remain Capt I.F.Snailtrails.... he just had a way of getting his story across.

Remember the PPrune Wings.... silver or gold! I found mine not long ago.

FBH! almost 15 years of wasted bandwidth! what an achievement!

Bluebaron
7th Oct 2011, 02:59
Good website, shame that its become corrupted by airline management.

Do not rely on your information being secure.

From past experience PPRune will inform airline managment of your identity on request.

TowerDog
7th Oct 2011, 04:56
If TowerDog reads this..Takeoff my friend, is moi. Where is Per?

Aye, TowerDog is still around, but not so active on PPRuNe anymore.
Popping in now and then to make sure the masses behave....:=

Not sure when I joined, probably 1998, before the big crash, lost some seniority there.

Who'd thunk Tricky Woo retire?
Guvnor in jail, or just banned from this play ground..?

Time flies, maybe I'll back later, maybe not.:sad:

parabellum
7th Oct 2011, 06:08
From past experience PPRuNe will inform airline managment of your identity on request.

Care to tell us more Bluebaron? I think it is highly unlikely they would pass it on simply in response to 'a request', possibly as a result of a court order (and then they would tell you what had happened). To get a court order in the first place something pretty serious, like gross defamation or serious libel would have had to have taken place, I'm pretty sure of that.

silverhawk
7th Oct 2011, 06:26
If you take into account any time in the sin bin, I think I make 11 years too.

Not all of it wasted time, some good info.

timmcat
7th Oct 2011, 15:04
Guvnor in jail.?

He was... not sure if he still is...

Cheerio
7th Oct 2011, 16:58
Seems he was on the 27th May.....

http://www.sps.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.aspx?lID=1242&sID=973

Email a Prisoner - the hassle free way to keep in touch. (http://www.emailaprisoner.com) :}