PDA

View Full Version : Experianced Flight instructor,,,Convert to FAA Equivalent.

nomorecatering
22nd Aug 2011, 02:43
A question was posed to me.

How would someone who is an Experiaced Flight Instructor (4000 TT and 3400 Dual given) convert an Australian Flight Instructor Rating Grade 1 (equivalent to Gold seal CFI) with ME and IFR training approvals.

How could the interested party get the US equivalent CFI, CFII -ME. Does one have to do the whole instructor rating course?

Tinstaafl
22nd Aug 2011, 15:47
I'm gradually getting FAA instructor ratings, as & when I feel like it, after holding Oz Gr1/multi + aerobatic training endorsement. Did multi instructor first earlier this year and will probably do instrument instructor next.

There are three, independent instructor ratings** in the FAA system, within fixed wing & rotary aircraft categories. You can hold any or all of them, in any combination. They are:

Certified Flight Instructor (CFI)
Multi-Engine Instructor (MEI)
CFI-Instrument (CFII)

CFI allows you to give ground & flight instruction in singles but not multis, and no instrument rating stuff.

MEI is similar to CFI, but in multis but not singles, and no instrument rating stuff.

CFII is for instrument rating stuff. Can be used in singles or multis *on its own* ie CFI or MEI isn't required as long as the student is already licenced to fly the aircraft as PIC.

Prerequisites:

FAA CPL or ATPL valid for the class & category of aircraft in which you'll be tested ie single/multi engine, land or sea.
FAA Instrument rating.

Pass the relevent theory exams ('knowledge tests' officially but usually called 'the writtens'). All content is straight out of the FAA's various handbooks, available to download for free from the FAA, or buy at any pilot shop.

Prior to any of the three instructor ratings - Principles of Instructing exam.

Prior to CFI or MEI (whichever of these two you do first): Flight instructor exam.

Prior to CFII: Instrument Instructor exam.

You'll also need to be endorsed as competent to recover from spins. Any Oz equivalent doesn't count. The rule of thumb for any required FAA sign-off is that it must be done by an appropriately qualified FAA licenced instructor.

Do a minimum of 3 hours with an FAA qualified instructor for the flight test recommendation. You'll also need an instructor's recommendation to do the initial two theory exams. Once you hold the 1st instructor rating I'm fairly sure no sign-off is required for the remaining exam needed to complete the trio.

You should also consider doing the Ground Instructor Certificates at the same time. The only requirement is to pass the theory exams - the content of which are damn near the same as the equivalent flight instructor exams so if you can pass the flight instructor exams then do the ground instructor stuff immediately. Don't worry about doing Basic Ground Instructor. Do at least the Advanced Ground Instructor and, if you wish, the Instrument Ground Instructor. There's some advantage in what you can teach (AGI gives *any* FAA airman's certificate's theory, except Instrument Rating), can be relevant for becoming a Gold Seal Instructor later and holding the AGI or IGI can smooth one or two things in the flight instructor flight test. The only cost is the exam. No other testing: Do theory go straight to 'apply for certificate'.

There's more in the details but that's the overview. Don't forget TSA insecurity crap if you don't already hold an FAA licence.

**Unlike Oz, an FAA instructor rating stands alone. They don't have a graduated level of privilege like Oz' Gr.3 --> Gr.2 --> Gr.1. Also there is no requirement to instruct under the auspices of a licenced flying school. The day you get your instructor rating (a temp. certificate issued by the testing officer until the permanent one arrives in the mail) you can hang out your shingle and start instructing. All you need is access to a plane & maintenance.

MarkerInbound
23rd Aug 2011, 21:17
That was the long answer, the short answer is there is no conversion, you'll have to do three writtens and three check rides.