PDA

View Full Version : Partial Pass CPL & IR

ChiCotje
21st Aug 2011, 11:30
I partialled both my IR & CPL for one subject. Some schoolmates tell me that I can now forget it to get a job in Europe.. Especially at the Majors (BA, KLM, Air France etc).

Is this true? What is the experience from you guys about people who partialled an exam?

mad_jock
21st Aug 2011, 11:45
For myself it didn't really effect me as I had intended to go the FI TP route anyway.

But unfortunately for the large legacy carriers they are telling you the truth.

Smaller operators and regionals it will depend on the supply and if the CP has partialled one as well :ok:

The African Dude
23rd Aug 2011, 12:03
It depends on the selection of the particular airline. I know some of my previous instructors partialled their flight tests. I also partialled my CPL but it hasn't affected me as an Airbus FO. Application forms rarely ask for such details, and even more so than your secondary school exams, once you get some experience then that is all that will matter on your CV. We all make mistakes sometimes. Good luck.

bountyhunter
24th Aug 2011, 10:08
I partialled my CPL but it didn't affect me at all. I now work for a large European airline and it's never been an issue. If anyone asks at interview, talk about it openly and mention how it was a learning experience.

Mikehotel152
24th Aug 2011, 14:42
As bountyhunter said.

You can use your experience to show that you have reflected carefully on what you did wrong and learned from it. This has made you a better pilot. After all, as other have said, even FIs have partialled CPL and IR tests. It's very easy to do.

I partialled both the CPL and IR by making silly, uncharacteristic mistakes after doing all the hard bits of the test well. It's frustrating but to be honest, luck does play a part in all tests, so you have to show your real character and move on. I still got a a job with a major airline and I've now got an interview with BA, so it hasn't held me back.

G'luck.

ChiCotje
24th Aug 2011, 18:54
Thx for the responds guys. I also think that it won't be a big issue later on when I have interviews with airliners. Otherwise a lot of ab-initios would stay jobless.

McNulty
24th Aug 2011, 21:08
Partialled IR - flying 737 now.

avrodamo
24th Aug 2011, 22:55
Don't sweat it, I failed my IR! 6 years on I fly B777 long haul. It really is not a problem. Your mates are not giving you the correct info

CruiseControl_007
25th Aug 2011, 16:33
Don't worry about it mate.

I partialled my CPL and failed my IR outright.
I also then went onto partialling my IR retake passing on the third attempt!
Up to then i had a first class flying record! It seemed that exam nerves and a decision to fly in bad wx is what screwed me up.

When I went for the interview for my first job I turned my failures into positives and explained the lessons learnt.

I now fly a B737. All is not lost. A partial doesn't matter to the majority of airlines. Once you get your first flying job nobody will even batter an eyelid at it. Best of luck!

stiknruddr
3rd Sep 2011, 08:06
hi all,

Unlike the rest if u on this thread, Im in Canada but the rules are similar here and I too partialed a Flight test today.

Was feeling very low and started thinking the worst ( i should not be flying at all, this is not the right career for me etc etc)

I know everyone says that a partial or failed flight test does not decide the course of ur career and its a really small bump in the long road ahead. I still cant help being disappointed with my performance.

However, I do feel better after reading the replies here.

thanks guys and all the best to us Chicotje

gap
3rd Sep 2011, 14:18
Some great posts,

Out of interest, does it matter if you go over your course hours. I have 31 and still need more before the CPL test??

I feel this will hinder my chances of a job further down the line especially if it happens with the IR also.

Dora6
3rd Sep 2011, 14:32
Going over your hours by hundreds or failing or getting partials, does that mean you'll be at a disadvantage with the major airlines? Does it :mad:
I know of loads of cases where the above have happened and theyre now flying the airways for majors..

Everyone tries to look after number one, so anything to put you down and give them the advantage, makes them feel good!

Ignore the muppets that try to put you down!