PDA

View Full Version : Singapore: New CAAS MCPL and much much more

PNY
20th Aug 2011, 12:11
In case you have not heard yet, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore:

1. Will issue the first 6 MCPL to the first batch of STAA MCPL Beta trial graduates with the next few days. All have completed the ATPL written's, MCPL training, inclusive of their 3 touch & go's in the A320 at Senai Airport for Tiger Airways and will proceed for their IOE

2. Major significant changes and stream lining coming with the phase out of the CAA examinations being replaced with JAA type examinations by November 2011

3. Similar to the FAA Computerized Testing Center's, as early as November 2011, 2 days a week you will be able to proceed to the Singapore Aviation Academy, pay for and take any CAAS Pilot Knowledge exam on a computer and return the next day to collect your certified examination results

4. Proposed elimination of the 700 hours requirement for conversion by December 2011. However, you will still need to be employed by a Singapore Air Operator or Flying Club to be able to convert your license

5. Establishment of a new CAAS approved log book for all Singapore licensed Pilot's

Stallone
20th Aug 2011, 14:55
hmmm..

changing for the better?? :cool:

bloodsucker
20th Aug 2011, 15:37
Oho! They are scraping the 700 hr thing? That time during the jetstar roadshow the jetstar people talked about it! Cos those with foreign CPLs are unable to qualify for the ATP.

Blomqvist
20th Aug 2011, 15:58
yup. but, nevertheless, these guys still hold a foreign licence? and Jetstar have to hire them b4 they can convert? Does this mean they still need to pay for their own conversion or something? Cos CTC still wants a CAAS licence.. Guess the removal of 700h rule will open up chances to Singaporeans who are holding foreign licences..

dl_88
20th Aug 2011, 16:26
this sounds good! :ok: i mean for the 700hr requirements removal.
but not too sure how will the MPL goes.

PNY
21st Aug 2011, 11:05
Suggest those with Foreign Licenses, try getting a job with one of the Flying Clubs at Seletar so that the license conversion to CAAS can be facilitated before trying for the airlines.

Build up a little experience, and have a Singapore license in hand, so now the price of the A320 type rating goes down for you too...

I last heard Discovery Flying Club at Seletar Airport will be hiring part-time Flight Instructors soon, send me a PM and I will give you their email address... good luck!

Blomqvist
21st Aug 2011, 12:59
hmm does it mean those holding foreign licenses will be seen on par with the CAAS holders? or there is still a little advantage by holding a CAAS license?

PNY
21st Aug 2011, 14:46
Well, I believe there is little bit of advantage having the CAAS license, especially if you are low hours without jet time, and you will save money since the airline you may go to would not have to convert you...

PNY
22nd Aug 2011, 05:10
Trurfaith,

Of course, the MCPL is another way to make money, yet there are those that still want to be airline pilot's and make money too, no less.

I think the CAAS approach is different than others, in Singapore the MCPL is designed so that the Pilot will upgrade to a full fleged Commercial and then ATPL. The idea is for them someday to be full fledged capable Captain's, no less.

I realize that the jury is still out on the effectiveness of the MCPL, I certanly have my concerns too... having been in flying for some 30 years now, with a son who is looking for a future too, I thought you would be appreciative of learning of the new opportunities.

At the very least, those of you in Singapore, at least market yourself with a CAAS license and cut down on the money spent (for most of you it would be Dad's money anyway) no matter which route you take, MCPL or the traditional route.

Regardless, I wish you well young man, good luck!

mynameisjon
22nd Aug 2011, 05:19
hmmm perhaps i should go and renew my instrument currency then...

For FAA airmen's knowledge test, you can go down the any certified grading centre on any day as long as it's open and get your results as soon as you finish...

If CAAS is really speeding things up, I think we will hear a lot more about New Aviation Pte Ltd in the coming months.

onieangeles
22nd Aug 2011, 10:41
sounds good but you need to offer a higher salary good compensation compare to seair, we are the best you have a long way to go