PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket supermeat?

blue up
20th Aug 2011, 06:48
Went to Morrisons Supermarket and bought, amongst other things, some sliced ham. Now, it isn't that 'reformed' stuff made from balls, ears and eyeballs yet it carried a label that surprised me.

"Made with 128g of pork per 100g"

Obviously a typo so I mentioned it to the butcher at the counter. Turns out that the label has been confirmed as correct with their butchery management and all labels in the meat display say similar things. So, WTF is going on there?:uhoh:

mixture
20th Aug 2011, 07:04
I would suggest 128g is the raw weight and 100g is the finished product rate.

Hence you've probably got water loss during the cooking process etc.

radeng
20th Aug 2011, 12:32
More likely 100 g is the finished weight after the water has been injected to bring the weight up from whatever the 128 g came down to after curing.

Curing a ham produces a weight loss of, from memory, 20% or so, although the exact amount will depend on the cure.

mixture
20th Aug 2011, 13:06
radeng,

You appear to be contradicting yourself.

100 g ... bring the weight up from whatever the 128 g came down to after curing

and then you say

Curing a ham produces a weight loss of, from memory, 20% or so, although the exact amount will depend on the cure.

Hence starting with 128g, removing "20% or so" gives you 100g ? So I'm not sure what you're getting at with your original statement ?

Having now Googled it a bit more, it seems this labelling process is known as QUID (or Quantitive Ingredient Declaration). And if you look at page 30 of the exciting Meat Guidance document from the Food Standards Agency here (http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/meatguidance.pdf) they give a short example for Corned Beef :

11. What if the QUID declaration is more than 100%?

Regulation 19(4) of the FLR provides for situations where, because a food has lost moisture as a result of treatment, the quantity of an ingoing ingredient is greater than the weight of the finished product (i.e., where a QUID declaration would be greater than 100%). In such cases, the QUID declaration must indicate the weight of ingredient used to prepare 100g of finished product.

One example of such a product is the food covered by the reserved description for corned beef, which is produced by pre-cooking beef (which loses fat and moisture) then sterilising the product. This in effect produces a concentrated meat product.

The reserved description requires that corned meat has a meat content of 120%. Therefore an example of a suitable QUID declaration for corned beef would be as follows:

Corned beef: - Made with 120g of beef per 100g of finished product

Also of interest, page 18 of said document :

Regulation 5 requires that where certain meat products contain added water and/or other added ingredients, these ingredients must be declared in the name of the food.

Where added water is declared in the name of the food, it is not necessary to declare the quantity of the added water in the name of the food. Nor is it necessary to provide a QUID declaration for added water in the list of ingredients. However, it will be necessary to provide a QUID declaration in respect of the meat ingredients in the product except that QUID declarations are not required for the meat content of cured products containing less than 5% added water.

Tankertrashnav
20th Aug 2011, 21:06
Slightly off thread, but Mrs TTN is a genius for hanging round supermarket deli counters till they put out "knuckles" of ham from which they reckon they've got as many slices as they're going to get. On a good day you can count on 8 - 10oz of luscious ham on the bone for about 60p - enough for several doorstep sarnies, and a bone for the dog to boot :ok:

Rollingthunder
20th Aug 2011, 22:44
Find a good butchers.

Uncle Harold was a butcher after being an instructing parachuting sargeant in the RAF. No conection between the two occupations

G-CPTN
20th Aug 2011, 23:12
a bone for the dog to bootWhatever turns it on . . .

BTW, I never could understand how they managed to get a glass and a half of milk into a bar of chocolate?

"The equivalent of 426ml of fresh liquid milk in every 227g of milk chocolate".
Because EU regulations state that by 2010 all weights and measures on packs must be in metric,
From:- BBC News - Cadbury drops 'glass and a half' phrase from wrappers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11427357)