PDA

View Full Version : CPL on a multi??

The_green_penguin
19th Aug 2011, 12:08
Hi there

I'd like to get an idea of people's opinions on whether it is worth investing the extra £££ to do the whole CPL on a multi engine, as opposed to doing the majority of it in a PA28, and then the bare minimum 5 hours on a complex single.

From research I have done, I notice some training organisations in the UK structure their CPL training that way as, from what I've read, apparently doing it all on the multi engine takes some of the pressure off the student when it comes to the MEIR (as they are already familiar with the aircraft, therefore, able to focus on the many other tasks at hand). Is this purely marketing hype, or is there some logic to it....?

Obviously, it comes at a far greater cost.... Is it worth the extra few grand at this stage of the training for 20 more multi engine hours, or is it better to save that money to use towards an Instructor rating later on (or, Type rating, worst case scenario...)?

I'm grateful for any advice.

hobbit1983
19th Aug 2011, 12:16
Did mine on a Seneca 2 in 2009. A few quick thoughts;

-you'll need more capacity, and will work harder due to higher cruise speed, 2 engines to learn etc.

-it's very very expensive if you partial or fail your test and need retraining and retest.

-it will take the pressure off you during your ME/IR, but that's not very important when compared to the two points above.

-it is more fun :D

Having said all that, given the choice again I still would do it on a multi.

XXPLOD
19th Aug 2011, 13:51
Worth bearing in mind that if you do say 15 hours in a SEP, then 10 in a complex SEP, then the MEP you are flying 3 planes, thus 3 sets of numbers to learn and possibly a little time having to be spent acclimatising. If you're moving straight on to the IR, I think the benefits to the continuity in the MEP will be realised, albeit it will almost certainly cost a few more £££.

PPRuNeUser0173
20th Aug 2011, 14:50
Why not do the IR first! You will need to do the MEP course first then go straight into the FNPT2 to learn the IR stuff on that then onto the a/c. Do the IR test then brush up your GH and Nav skills in a single before returning to the multi for your CPL skills test. You will be exempt some of the instrument section and PFL. I know several people who have done it this way.