PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Carrier

niksmathew24
19th Aug 2011, 07:29
Hey fellas,

Got a kid asking me what is a LEGACY carrier? Something that was known for being a legend was my answer. Another question is which all are the legacy carriers and is Air India a legacy carrier?:confused: Is it or was it??
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 09:55
Yeh I hear this "legacy carrier" crap a lot too, and when I heard "legacy airlines"
I thought it was referring to that mob whose 737 was involved in a midair a
while ago.

I think it might have emanated from those nasty low cost bogan-carrying
outfits to differentiate between them and the real airlines. So I think "legacy
airline" = real airline.

Oktas8
19th Aug 2011, 11:26
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_carrier), a definition which I think fits many countries' airlines, although it's focussed on US airlines.

A legacy carrier, in the United States, is an airline that had established interstate routes by the time of the route liberalization which was permitted by the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 and was thus directly affected by that act. It is distinct from a low-cost carrier, (a term fostered as a form of disparagement against post deregulation start-up air carriers, and the traditional airlines once heavily unionized work groups) which in the United States are generally new airlines that were started to compete in the newly deregulated industry.
Typical characteristics of legacy carriers are that they provide a higher level of services than a low-cost carrier; for example, a legacy carrier typically offers first class and/or business class, a frequent-flyer program, airport lounges, and is a member of an airline alliance through which it has partners that agree to provide these services to its passengers as well. Also, there is a higher level of services in the cabin, such as meal service and in-flight entertainment.

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 12:30
JB buttons I don't appear to have - :(

REPEAT - Publish a link and then write out that link's contents,
either in part or in full.

REHASH - Answer the original poster saying virtually what the
poster above said, but using many more words.

radeng
19th Aug 2011, 17:11
I like Oktas quotation. It shows just how wrong Wiki can be. Level of service? In the case of most US airlines, it's 'What service?'

Capetonian
19th Aug 2011, 17:23
I would prefer the use of the term 'network' carrier in this context, meaning a carrier where there are agreements for onward transportation either with the same carrier (online connections) or others (interline), code shares, use of lounges, and so on, rather than the point-to-point no-frills offerings (deliberately avoiding the word 'services') of the erroneously named 'low cost' carriers.

niksmathew24
19th Aug 2011, 19:08
capetonian

I would prefer the use of the term 'network' carrier in this context

But there are so many new sprouts all over the world providing uninterrupted connections and offering big networks. So honestly I don't think they can be classified as Legacies. So in short which all companies can be classified as Legacies?

Capetonian
19th Aug 2011, 19:11
I think both terms are misused.

In the context of currency, the old European currencies which were replaced by the failing and probably doomed Euro, are referred to as 'legacy' currencies. one wonders if 'legacy' carriers are destined to be replaced by something equally as unsuccessful.

So in short which all companies can be classified as Legacies?
Good question. And that of course means I don't know the answer! Does anyone?

cavortingcheetah
19th Aug 2011, 19:13
I always thought airlines such as British Airways were called legacy carriers because it cost an inheritance to fly with them.

Um... lifting...
19th Aug 2011, 23:14
'Legacy' is also used as a term for those who entered posh universities and/or fraternities/sororities not on their own merits, but because a parent or other elder relative did at some time in the past.

Just sayin'

B Fraser
20th Aug 2011, 10:44
It's a bit like when a variation of a product or a service is rebranded a "Classic". It probably means you should expect something out of the ark that runs on a wind-up mechanism.