PDA

View Full Version : UK JAA instructor refresher seminar

Delta75
19th Aug 2011, 04:02
I have a UK issued JAA instructor rating which I need to renew before September 2012, so that when I renew my JAA licence, the rating is carried over onto the EASA licence.

Are there any companies other than On Track Aviation or Helicentre Leicester who offer helicopter instructor refresher seminars?

I am currently based in the Middle East and have very little flexibility over when I get time off.

A search of CAA website and Pprune has not shown anywhere else.

Thanks
Delta

fluffy5
19th Aug 2011, 05:47
slightly off topic w/v 160 10kts 7000m nsc. you shoud be flying by now delta.

Fluffy

Delta75
19th Aug 2011, 06:34
They're not making us work weekends.....YET !!:hmm:

hands_on123
19th Aug 2011, 08:14
It doesnt matter if you let it expire as it will be still be easy to renew when you get an EASA licence.

See EASA FAQs here

Licensing and Training Standards | EASA | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?gid=2061)

Delta75
19th Aug 2011, 09:22
My understanding was that, when you renew your licence, only current ratings will be carried forward to the new EASA licence. They say that expired ratings will be noted somewhere, for future reference, but I can not find anywhere that states what the system will be under EASA for renewal of expired ratings.
My situation is compicated a little further, in that, for the last 2 years I have been flying / instructing outside the UK on an ICAO licence. As a result all of my UK JAA type ratings have expired. Under the current system, I would have been able to renew my licence merely by getting a current class 1 medical, as I am currently flying a type, on my ICAO licence that I have on my JAA licence.
I am awaiting some clarification from CAA......but they appear to be taking some time coming back to me....:ugh:

hands_on123
19th Aug 2011, 10:00
They certainly dont make it easy to understand!

What happens to the ratings that I have on my licence?

If you have a JAA / JAR licence (fully compliant with JAR-FCL), which becomes an EASA Part-FCL licence on 8th April 2012, the aircraft ratings will remain in force with the expiry dates unchanged. When your licence reaches calendar expiry (or before that date if you choose) you must apply for it to be replaced with a non-expiring EASA Part-FCL licence. JAR-FCL aircraft ratings (that also appear in Part-FCL) will be included in the new Part-FCL licence. If you have valid non-JAR ratings, a national licence may be issued to include these. When any Part-FCL rating approaches or reaches expiry it may be revalidated or renewed in accordance with Part-FCL requirements. When any national rating approaches or reaches expiry it may be revalidated or renewed on the JAR licence provided that the licence has not reached its calendar expiry. When the licence reaches its calendar expiry application must be made for it to be replaced with an EASA Part-FCL. If there are valid national aircraft ratings on the licence at that time it will be necessary to issue a UK licence to carry those ratings.

If you have a non-JAR (UK licence), the aircraft ratings will remain in force with the expiry dates unchanged on 8th April 2012. If you decide to obtain an EASA Part-FCL licence, the aircraft ratings that are Part-FCL ratings and are valid on the day then licence is issued will be included on the Part-FCL licence with the expiry dates unchanged. If there are national ratings that are valid on the day of conversion, a new national licence will be issued to include those ratings.

Important note - JAR-FCL has always specified that whenever a licence is re-printed (due to amendment or expiry) the replacement licence will show only the ratings that are valid on the day the new licence is issued. Expired ratings should be removed. If the licence holder subsequently renews a rating that is no longer on the licence the licence would have to be re-issued again to show the renewed rating. In the UK the CAA chose to administer this in a different way. UK-issued JAR licences always showed all ratings that had been entered in the licence. This enabled pilots to have the ratings renewed by examiners signing the authorisation page, without having to send the licence to the CAA to have the rating reinstated. This UK practice will have to cease from April 2012. This is because Part-FCL contains the same requirement as JAR-FCL, but Part-FCL is legally binding and the CAA must comply with it. This means that, after 8th April 2012, if a licence is amended and re- printed by the CAA, the new/amended version will have only the current ratings included in the ratings section. We plan to provide evidence elsewhere of the ratings previously held so that examiners will have the evidence of previous qualification in order to perform a renewal; but it will then be necessary to apply to the CAA to have the rating included in the licence again before it can be used.

22. I have an instructor rating, how will the changes affect me?

If you have instructor ratings on a JAR licence for EASA aircraft (e.g. FI, CRI, SFI, or TRI for an EASA type), the ratings will remain current through 8th April 2012, subject to the existing renewal/revalidation rules for the ratings. Subsequently, the ratings may be revalidated/renewed in accordance with Part-FCL. Any instructor ratings specific to non- EASA aircraft (e.g. microlight instructor, or TRI for a non-EASA type) will also remain valid, but cannot remain on the licence when it is physically replaced by an EASA licence. You will need to have a UK national licence with the specific non-EASA rating(s) at that time.

If you have a non-JAR UK licence with instructor ratings that include privileges to instruct for JAR licences or ratings, these will still be usable along with the national licence until 2014 or 2015; see the FAQs - “I have a UK ATPL / CPL (pre-JAA), how will the changes affect me?” and “I have a UK PPL (pre-JAA), how will the changes affect me?”

If you choose to fly non-EASA aircraft only in the future, and so do not obtain an EASA licence, your instructor ratings can continue as before, except that Part-FCL rules will apply for revalidation/renewal. If/when you apply for an EASA Part-FCL licence based on your UK licence, the instructor ratings that apply to instruction for JAR/Part-FCL qualifications will be carried over onto your EASA licence, provided that you comply with the experience requirements for the instructor rating that are specified in Part-FCL.

(Note: There has been some confusion over whether current UK FI ratings will be convertible to equivalent EASA ratings because Part-FCL requires CPL theoretical knowledge examination for the FI, and this was not required for the existing ratings. The position is that CPL theoretical knowledge is required to obtain a new FI on an EASA licence; but it is not required if the FI is granted under the conversion rules to a pilot who already holds a valid FI under national rules who complies with the Part-FCL experience requirements.