PDA

View Full Version : Politicians and the Chairman's lounge

ejectx3
18th Aug 2011, 13:06
I'm interested in investigating the legality of those we pay to represent us and the interests of this country getting gifted membership to the chairman's lounge.

It seems it's not a secret anymore that those charged with keeping Qantas from violating the sale act are being wined and dined on a regular basis by Qantas.

To me it's a disgrace. Who would I contact about this if all of them have their snouts in the trough?

What are your thoughts?

Tuner 2
18th Aug 2011, 13:11
For what it's worth, I understand that all federal politicians (senators and members of house of reps), as well as state level ministers and shadow ministers, are offered CL memberships. I am also told that Olivia Wirth is listed on the passenger manifest as a chairman's lounge member.

ejectx3
18th Aug 2011, 13:19
"Job losses are always regrettable, but the Government acknowledges that this is a commercial decision taken by Qantas," Mr Albanese said....

Surely at the very least having the transport minister 'on the take' from Qantas is a conflict of interest?

DirectAnywhere
18th Aug 2011, 13:26
Membership of the chairman's lounge should be listed here:

House of Representatives Standing Committee of Privileges: Members' Interests statements (http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/pmi/declarations.htm)

Check out Albanese's handwriting - looks like my three year old filled out his register.

I especially like the bit where he describes his wife as the Deputy Premier of NSW. Not anymore old son! Hope that's been updated...

Tuner 2
18th Aug 2011, 13:36
From Minister Albanese's register; "I was given an upgrade by Qantas on my flights to and from Singapore on 5-8 June 2011." What a surprise... :suspect:

ejectx3
18th Aug 2011, 13:44
What the hell is Qantas giving the transport minister an IPAD apart from out and out currying favour? What are the rules? Are politicians pwemitted to accept anything as long as it is declared? That is useless as they still get the bribe!

TAFDamo
18th Aug 2011, 13:44
...and an iPad... [beat me to it, Ejectx3]

To be fair though, he did also get an upgrade for an Emirates flight to Europe also...

Likes his football too!

wpax
18th Aug 2011, 13:59
"To me it's a disgrace. Who would I contact about this if all of them have their snouts in the trough?"

Nick Xenophon! He's freely admitted that he flies cheapest fare on the day, including Tiger, so I doubt his snout is in the trough as much as the others, if at all.

ACT Crusader
18th Aug 2011, 14:28
Maybe QF gave the IPad to Albanese to show the whizzbang technology of the new aircraft maintenance processes......

ejectx3
18th Aug 2011, 15:00
So we live in a country where big business buys the government, buys the journo's and squashes the worker......:ugh:

my oleo is extended
18th Aug 2011, 22:18
I object to the title 'honorable' in front of a Politicians name.
That is the biggest slap in the face, maybe it makes them feel warm, fuzzy and upright inside but the reality is that the title of 'honorable' should be earned, and certainly 98% of pollies are nothing short of lying crooked turds, and should have that title removed.
As for 'snouts in the trough', well one should add to that 'snouts up corporate Australia's as#holes'.

mince
18th Aug 2011, 22:52
What are you guys on about?

Do you really think politicians shouldn't take advantage of the chairman's lounge and/or upgrades?

That would be the same as an airline employee forgoing staff travel benefits and paying full fare everywhere.
Let's not be too hypocritical.

And as much as it saddens me about what is happening to Qantas, it's not the government's job to tell a company how to run their business. Look at other industries in recent years like car manufacturing for example. How many jobs have been lost there? Did the government step in? No because they have no say in how Ford or Mitsubishi do business, nor should they.

chockchucker
18th Aug 2011, 23:15
Mince,

Ford and Mitsubishi were not formerly owned government enterprises with infrastucture paid for by the tax payer only to have the "smartest guys in the room" come along and take credit for 90 years of excellence whilst simultaneously ripping the company apart in order to promote and cross subsidize a low cost offshoot and try and break a few unions in the process.

And all because the Board chairman has his knickers in a twist over work choices being repealed.

Pity this chairman, CEO and Boston Bruce can't see past their ideology and work with their employees instead of against them.

gordonfvckingramsay
18th Aug 2011, 23:18
Missing the point there Mince. Conflict of interest is quite different to looking after your own employees.

King William III
18th Aug 2011, 23:38
So we live in a country where big business buys the government, buys the journo's and squashes the worker......

I thought that's what "Western Democracy" meant ……….:confused:

'holic
19th Aug 2011, 00:00
I'll see your

it's not the government's job to tell a company how to run their businessand raise you one Qantas Sale Act

ejectx3
19th Aug 2011, 00:55
Mince pollies don't work for Qantas. So your staff travel analogy is false.
They certainly get more than enough perks from their own employer, namely us.

My point is those that should be policing the sale act are being bought off by Joyce with freebies.