PDA

View Full Version : UK UFO files / Pilot sightings

chimichanga
18th Aug 2011, 12:08
Hi,

I am reading through the recently released UFO files which were released by the British government.

I am not a UFO fanatic or anything of the sort; however I found the files quite an interesting read, especially the airline pilot reports.

One of the files I am reading dates from Jan. 06 in 1995. The report was filed by the Captain and First Officer of a B737 with an operator called CAT.

The position was listed as N5318 W0200 - 8NM SE of Manchester airport.

Does anybody know of this crew?

I am probably guessing that many sightings go unreported for fear of appearing unprofessional to fellow colleagues within the airline hierarchy and having to hear the constant jokes of "little green men" in the crew break room?

Lon More
18th Aug 2011, 15:25
are the files available on line? I can't tell you which ones I'm interested in otherwise the black helicopters will be back.

Storminnorm
18th Aug 2011, 15:37
There are simply NO such things I'm afraid.

That's all there is to say on the subject. There may well be some forms of terrestrial flying machinery of a secret nature sculling around.
But NO forms of Extraterrestrial machinery. Because they simply
DON'T exist.

Lon More
18th Aug 2011, 15:43
Norm you don't really believe Ace's Connies were terrestrial do you? Nothing that size could lose so much oil.

green granite
18th Aug 2011, 15:55
But NO forms of Extraterrestrial machinery. Because they simply
DON'T exist.

Would you care to prove that statement Mr Norman? :E:E

con-pilot
18th Aug 2011, 16:02
There are simply NO such things I'm afraid.

No, there are such things as UFOs.

But that doesn't mean that they are all flying saucers with little green men in them. :p

Okay, or gray little men or women for that matter.

682al
18th Aug 2011, 18:18
Because they simply DON'T exist.

Thanks for clearing that one up norm, I've wondered about them for years.

I think this is the case the OP is interested in. I don't think the accompanying sketch is connected with the incident.

UFO 'had near miss with Boeing 737 - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/ufo/7254652/UFO-had-near-miss-with-Boeing-737.html)

Sir George Cayley
18th Aug 2011, 22:09
Capt Wills and his F/O Mark Stuart are credible witnesses. But to an unidentified flying object. Never once did they intimate any extra terestrial connection.

They were still visibly shaken upon landing because of the near miss they'd just had. If anything has wizzed passed you and made you flinch then you may have an appreciation of what happened. Suddenly something was there in front of them, they both ducked instinctively then saw a shape pass down the side of their a/c. Both initially thought it an airprox but the sub centre said there was nothing on the screen.

Separately, they both sketched a similar object and no it wasn't the flying saucer in the newspaper article. I never saw their sketches but I was led to believe they drew a delta shaped object.

These guys were straight forward people with no desire for the limelight. Both were affected by what happened but neither wanted to be on late night UFO programmes. They reacted to an immediate near miss instinctively,it was only after they realised the nature of what had happened.

I guess it was some sort of 'black' project maybe out of Warton, but it really doesn't matter as the day aliens arrive we'll all know about it.

SGC

ZOOKER
18th Aug 2011, 23:40
Chimichanga,
I believe CAT refers to Civilian Air Transport. The airline involved is still flying in and out of Manchester. I believe the incident occurred as the B737 was on a left-hand base-leg for what was then R/W 24.

corsair
19th Aug 2011, 01:01
I fly a lot, in my boredom, I often wish that a UFO flies by. Sadly no. It's hard enough to see another boring terrestial aircraft, never mind some machine from the other side of the galaxy. I get excited when I see another aircraft at the correct separation.

They're not out there, they're not here and they will never be here. As a child of the space age it pains me to say it. There is no one out there. Not even us as it turns out.

:{

Captain Dart
19th Aug 2011, 03:30
Alas Corsair, I have to agree. As a long haul pilot, sometimes 'I want to believe'. Some other points:

First they would have to detect our tiny speck of a planet; popular theory has it by the expanding (and thankfully weakening) bubble of 'I Love Lucy' TV shows emanating from Earth. Or maybe 'Mr Ed' (the talking horse) or 'My Mother the Car' might get their attention.

Then from that they would presumably consider our planet worth visiting.

Then they would have to accelerate, then decelerate which could take eons (and what would be here when they finally arrived?), or use immense amounts of energy and technology to create a 'wormhole'.

It's funny how people (usually from California) claim that aliens have gone to all the above trouble just to insert a probe up their derriere...

And if any aliens are out there, it would be madness to just assume that that they would be friendly. Maybe smart civilisations do not advertise their existence.

The biggest threat to our existence from space is asteroid or comet impact; ironically, given enough political will, a catastrophe that could possibly be detected and averted. But humanity is too preoccupied with religious nonsense and economics to face this threat.

hellsbrink
19th Aug 2011, 04:16
But humanity is too preoccupied with religious nonsense and economics to face this threat.

Yup, and that's why the ESA is sending a probe with a heavy lump that will be fired into a known "near earth" asteroid to see if they can actually change it's course and why the Murricans are investigating ways to actually land on an asteroid.

:rolleyes:

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 04:21
popular theory has it by the expanding (and thankfully weakening) bubble of 'I Love Lucy' TV shows emanating from Earth. Or maybe 'Mr Ed' (the talking horse) or 'My Mother the Car' might get their attention.

There's a theory of some note that after 4 years, all VHF/UHF
transmissions become nothing but undecipherable mush - at
least the Klingon High Command will be spared viewing the
above programs and Howdy Doody too.

To answer the UFO thing, I think aliens would've looked at the
energy expense in getting here and decided the bill was just
too high for any intragalactic travel of shorter useful duration.

rh200
19th Aug 2011, 04:34
There are simply NO such things I'm afraid.Glad your so well informened:hmm:

Unless they have been here, or someone has some other evidence, nobody can say for sure they don't exist. I'm afraid the statistics of the number of stars and number of galaxy's is firmly on the side of aliens most likely exist in some form elsewhere.

Now whether they are advanced enough to come here for a visit is another question altogether. Presently if our current pathetic understanding of physics is roughly correct, then it would most likely not be possible for anyone to visit.

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 05:02
Presently if our current pathetic understanding of physics is
roughly correct, then it would most likely not be possible for
anyone to visit.

True rh200 - but even if they are well advanced enough to
overcome the prohibitively prodigious energy requirements
there are other considerations -

1. They may not be territorial nor exploratory - Unlike those
needs of survival that evolutionised here on Earth, on an alien
world may either not've occurred or evolved out of it, giving a
attitude of "We're all ok so who gives a shit what's out there"
mental process.

2. Why visit? - In other words why go and expend all that time
and energy anyway just to skulk around the place just to scare
everybody? (admittedly even if there was a requirement of
secrecy for a consciencous mission objective, why do they make
screwups like buzzing planes? It isn't logical).

3. Age of the alien home stars - For any civilisation to go from
a stone age to intergalactic travel capability requires a bloody
long time. As such, the only sun that can last that long is one
like ours (blue and red stars burn out too quickly to sustain a
natural evolution of a planet). So you'd have to ask how many
yellow suns are out there, and have they lasted long enough
for a civilisation to advance to that level of space travel AND
go from there to here and home again on a regular basis?

Rule3
19th Aug 2011, 07:01
Gents, I may be wrong but I think STORMIN was taking the Piss, and is now having a chuckle to himself.;)

rh200
19th Aug 2011, 07:10
Gents, I may be wrong but I think STORMIN was taking the Piss, and is now having a chuckle to himself

If he is, good on him, its always good to get people a little stirrred, sit back and enjoy the show.

tony draper
19th Aug 2011, 07:12
Well if say they are a thousand years ahead of us what's left of them have probably returned to living in caves and chipping arrow heads out of flint.
:rolleyes:

B Fraser
19th Aug 2011, 07:30
A very good chum was flying South across Northern France late one evening. He was overtaken by a large rapid fiery object travelling at a great height. Upon landing, he was told it was a manned rocket launched in China.

He told me the story some time later and was at first a bit sceptical until we found the launch details on the interweb. One globe and one bit of string for a great circle route proved the theory correct i.e. it would have travelled close to The Channel on a heading of 150 degrees or thereabouts.

Given the reliable gullibility of the general public, I am very tempted to rig up a few balloons and lights and launch the thing at night close to a large town. I'll then sit back, open a beer and watch the local news with eyewitness accounts. ;)

Flyt3est
19th Aug 2011, 07:31
Either that or they turned up and thought "Christ, what a sh1tehole" and fecked off home again.. assuming their ship didn't get hijacked, nicked or looted. :O

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Aug 2011, 07:50
Mr Fraser

A friend launched a fire balloon one evening at a coastal town and was surprised to hear reports of alien activity on the radio the next morning and his twittering and excitable neighbour being interviewed. He told me he just kept quiet and had a good internal chuckle as the story grew.

The real question is why would an advanced civilisation capable of long distance space travel cross millions of light years to stick things up the bottoms of shytkickers and the mentally challenged?

B Fraser
19th Aug 2011, 10:01
I reckon an inflatable angel that lights up and tootles along at 500 feet will have the switchboard of the local copshop in an advanced state of meltdown.

any takers ??????

:E

Lon More
19th Aug 2011, 10:36
Inflateable angel

http://www.getinflatables.com/uploadfile/cartoons/GCar-28.jpg
Just got to work oout the burner instead of a blower. Would probably lead to the demise of a few Dorises.

Off Thread,They were still visibly shaken upon landing because of the near miss they'd just had. If anything has wizzed passed you and made you flinch then you may have an appreciation of what happened.
Descending on the ILS once at EHBK, solid IMC, I heard and felt, an F104 pass. crapped myself waiting for his mate. He swore to the Tower that he was VMC, FL050 on top inbound Pampa range. Lying German barsteward :mad:

Checkboard
19th Aug 2011, 11:43
I am very tempted to rig up a few balloons and lights and launch the thing at night close to a large town. I'll then sit back, open a beer and watch the local news with eyewitness accounts.

Please don't. I've passed two of these, in the mid-twenty thousand foot area, one crossing the southern coast of England, and one crossing the coast of Holland. There's no time to dodge 'em and they only miss aircraft through the chances inherent in a big sky. :uhoh:

To answer the UFO thing, I think aliens would've looked at the
energy expense in getting here and decided the bill was just
too high for any intragalactic travel of shorter useful duration.

Once you invest the energy, you want a return on that investment - and are unlikely to take a polite "No" for an answer :eek: If they DO turn up, it'll be like Cortés and the Aztec Empire (us being the Aztec Empire!)

beaufort1
19th Aug 2011, 11:48
Likewise in regard to false Lifeboat callouts, the general public report seeing these things and Chinese lanterns mistaking them for red distress flares. It currently costs in excess of £500 an hour to run a Severn Class lifeboat.

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 11:50
Checks if an alien race only 1,000 years more advanced than
us came here, we'd be totally and utterly dominated.

Compare the once mighty Spanish Armada compared to the
present US Sixth Fleet, a span of only what.....just over 500
years? No contest.

Flyt3est
19th Aug 2011, 12:29
You are all just speculating, the reality is Aliens have already landed and interbred with humans.. how else could you explain Lembit Opik??

rotornut
19th Aug 2011, 12:36
When I was training for my ppl back in the sixties, the instructors regularly reported UFOs in the vicinity of Toronto.
In July of 1979 my friend and I were camping in a fairly remote part of Georgian Bay -part of Lake Huron. Around 7:30 p.m. we saw a very bright light that did strange things. It accelerated at what appeared to be incredible speeds and then stopped dead in mid-air. Then it changed direction and did the same thing. It did this a number of times before it disappeared. What impressed me was its ability to stop so quickly and then accelerate so fast. At the time I thought it might be a helicopter but since I subsequently acquired a commercial rotary wing license I realise no chopper could do what this thing did.

Lon More
19th Aug 2011, 12:43
Or Jedwood Don't forget the Mekon.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/mekon_hague.jpg

favete linguis
19th Aug 2011, 12:58
Very funny Lon More.

Almost plausible especially when looking at the 2 faces behind; they both appear to be stifling a grin... :D

chimichanga
19th Aug 2011, 13:33
I appreciate the reply that provided a link to the story.

Sadly, the pilots in question will most likely never fully disclose what happened that day for fear of ridicule and possibly having their medical certificate reviewed based on mental capability. Personally, I think it took guts for the pilots to report as much as they did.

I find it also interesting that the person in charge of the military wing who dealt with UFO cases in the 1990s, recently came out last week and explained how credible UFO reports by credible people were spun in such a way to make the story a joke which eventually culminated in discrediting the UFO incident. In his words, this was done for the sole reason of safety. He mentioned that if the public realized that there were things that were unexplainable and the air traffic system was not under constant control, then panic would ensue.

The link to the documents is found here. It is rather large.
UFO files | Newly released files from The National Archives (http://ufos.nationalarchives.gov.uk/)

Again, I appreciate the responses. However, the fact of the matter is that not all the incidents can be explained. :confused:

rotornut
19th Aug 2011, 14:02
Explain this:
JAL Flight 1628 UFO Incident Over Alaska New Re-creation 2010 - YouTube

B Fraser
19th Aug 2011, 15:20
the reality is Aliens have already landed and interbred with humans.. how else could you explain Lembit Opik??

Now there's a guy who regularly "punches above his weight".

(Strangely, I wandered down Opik Street in Tartu a few days back. It's a small world.)

http://www.blogcdn.com/celebrity.aol.co.uk/media/2010/11/lembit-opik-merily-mcgivern-430a-112910.jpg

Checkerboard, agreed mate. I have seen a dirty mark on the windscreen turn into a glider in a nanosecond. The old sphincter could have cracked a walnut. I pity the poor bugger in the glider who could not have seen me pass head to head just below his feet. The noise and the wake turbulence must have scared him shitless.

11Fan
19th Aug 2011, 15:21
Indianapolis Center, do you have any traffic for AirEast 31?

KW10xCub3Kg

corsair
19th Aug 2011, 15:32
Funny thing, don't remember posting my last post at 2 in the morning. Must have been kidnapped by aliens at the time. On the point of alien spaceships and lights in the sky and their antics. I do find it hard to believe that any aliens capable of traversing the galaxy should be unable to switch off their running lights. Even our own primitive flying machines have a couple of switches marked on and off for the lights. Can't imagine that option isn't available on all the latest models of interterrestial cruisers.

11Fan
19th Aug 2011, 15:36
Can't imagine that option isn't available on all the latest models of interterrestial cruisers.

That, and I wonder if they have the usual Borion versus GalaxyBus discussions.

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Aug 2011, 08:04
BBC News - Loch Ness search for mysterious balloon-like object (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14606660)

Och aye the noo :E

SHJ

tony draper
22nd Aug 2011, 08:06
Give Mr Slasher nightmares this will.:E
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/Ag7yb.jpg

Slasher
22nd Aug 2011, 11:25
.........http://serve.mysmiley.net/scared/scared0011.gif

http://serve.mysmiley.net/scared/scared0014.gif

Windy Militant
22nd Aug 2011, 12:13
The real question is why would an advanced civilisation capable of long distance space travel cross millions of light years to stick things up the bottoms of shytkickers and the mentally challenged?
Sex Tourism?....................:}

Tinfoil Hat, door!

sitigeltfel
22nd Aug 2011, 12:33
Having had to take many phone calls about UFOs from members of the public during my stint in a major RAF Ops room, I can categorically state that the vast majority of callers fall into one, or both, of the following two categories.

1, Pissed.
2, Care in the community.

Krystal n chips
22nd Aug 2011, 14:50
This makes interesting reading ( in part ).....

case histories howden moor incident (http://www.uk-ufo.org/condign/casehowd16.htm)

To save time, click on page 12...and read why the individual concerned falls firmly into a class of his own.

Fangio
22nd Aug 2011, 16:43
Whilst I agree to a certain extent with your comments, I am also very sceptical about "sightings of UFOs"however before condemning it out of hand, refer to posts 8 & 32, I also witnessed the same phenomena in the same area as stated by the BA crew. I did not report it for the reasons mentioned in post 32. My fleet manager would have made a note on my file or even informed the company doctor about my state of mind and I had visions of my licence being pulled if I mentioned it.
What I did when I heard that the BA crew had gone public, I contacted BA crewing to leave a note in the pilot's slots saying that I was prepared to corroberate the sighting of this high speed ball of intense light but, I heard nothing further. I am now retired and have no worries about losing my licence.
If the BA pilots in question are reading this, please PM me. I believe you.

visibility3miles
22nd Aug 2011, 16:55
UFO's exist!

They're either:

Unidentified First Officers who report them anonymously,
Unemployed First Officers who don't report anonymously,
Unbelievable First Officers who would say anything,
Uninhibited First Officers who describe them at the pub,
Unhinged First Officers who insist they exist,
or
Unseen First Officers who are spirited away.

Slasher
23rd Aug 2011, 05:05
Guess the present economy isn't good for aliens either.

http://www.613photo.com/images/20090920173747_hardcoreufo.jpg

osmosis
23rd Aug 2011, 05:23
Introduction to the World Grid | Bruce Cathie Maps the World Grid with Gridpoint Atlas (http://www.worldgrid.net/introduction-to-the-world-grid/)

Slasher
23rd Aug 2011, 05:58
Bruce Cathie is just so last century Osmo, like that Erich Von
Daniken boofhead.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTBNi5YdQnBWYQPwienkga2Pgr861ZSJRiPUJTg4r V9fRajbn2xg

The exact same book used to be titled "Harmonic 33" yonks ago.
You would be old enough to remember when it first came out in
paperback.

Storminnorm
23rd Aug 2011, 15:36
As I said at the beginning of all this.

It's a load of Bolleaux!!!

Take up an interesting HOBBY or something.

overun
23rd Aug 2011, 22:27
Bored, pushing midnight at a quite nice scottish airport l called " XXX tower, any news of the of the ufo ?, callsign"
"Don`t know what you`re talking about mate"

Oops, l thought.

"You mean the one exactly a week ago?"

Yes.

"No, l don`t know what you`re talking about"

rh200
25th Aug 2011, 10:15
UFO spotted over Shanghai, Beijing - The West Australian (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/technology/10109274/ufo-spotted-in-shanghai/)

Looks like we need to get ready to upload a virus into the mothership:p

Krystal n chips
25th Aug 2011, 16:08
A little music to summate the erm, unexplained visits....the lyrics say it all really...

Creedence Clearwater Revival - It Came Out of the Sky - YouTube

That said, I have an open mind working on the basis that if the inhabitants of Earth can send satellites out into the realms of space, and given the capacity of humans to screw up the planet we live on this is remarkable in itself, there is no reason to assume we are the only form of intelligent life in the Universe.

On the other hand, humans visit Southend, Skegness and Barry Island for a holiday so there's no reason why aliens do not perceive Earth in the same light...:E

G-CPTN
25th Aug 2011, 17:42
there is no reason to assume we are the only form of intelligent life in the Universe.
But you have to consider the timing of such developments - maybe a few thousand (or maybe even million) years ago there were such beings cruising around?
Maybe they landed on Earth?

Just saying . . .