PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar

manintheback
18th Aug 2011, 09:00
Anyone able to advise which side of the aircraft is likely to give the best chance of a view of the rock on landing? Thx

Bealzebub
18th Aug 2011, 09:26
The answer (as they say) is blowing in the wind.

Statistically speaking the landing is likely to be Westerly, so the left (port) side is probably your best bet.

Avionker
18th Aug 2011, 09:35
left(port)? Make your mind up mate, which side is going to be better. Stop hedging your bets... :confused:

muppetbum
18th Aug 2011, 12:14
Avioniker , does "port" mean something different to you then? As a mere sailor I always thougth that for all intents and purposes port = left.

MAybe you know something I don't?

Crazy Voyager
18th Aug 2011, 13:45
port=left when facing in the direction of the boat.

If you're facing aft and say port it's your right.

Where as left and right is relative to you port and starbord are relative to the boat (or aircraft).

muppetbum
18th Aug 2011, 14:10
True , still don't understand the confusion here though. In this context left and port are goign to mean the same thing surely?
I do have spatial awareness issues , so what am i missing here?

farci
19th Aug 2011, 08:30
left(port)? Make your mind up mate, which side is going to be better. Stop hedging your bets... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gifMaybe Avionker used to serve in the British Royal Air Force? I believe military transport aircraft seats used to face backwards in which case port would be on his right.

I believe however that the pilots' seats did face forwards to avoid a crick in the neck...:ugh:

nivsy
21st Aug 2011, 18:55
To try and answer the question directly...best place to be is to be sitting window seat ride hand side of the aircraft. Generally breaks through the Spanish coast then over water and around the rock - therefore Gibraltar always visible out the right side windows. If landing is in the other direction it does not really matter where you sit as decent and landing is with water only visible until over the threshold. It can also be quite nice taking photos of the rock from the right hand side as the aircraft makes it was around the rock for landing....and if you remain observant enough you will see the runway. Happy trip and keep the seat belt tight!

Avionker
21st Aug 2011, 19:07
Well now, why on earth when I first saw that did I read it as left(starboard) side....:confused:

And yes, I am ex RAF however having worked in civvy land for over 12 years I very rarely use port/starboard anymore.

jeanyqua
24th Aug 2011, 20:47
Ohhh bugger !! I need to change the reserved seats then...although it's xmas we going,maybe will end up been bussed across from Malaga anyway if the weather is bad.!

manintheback
1st Sep 2011, 07:00
It was the right. Fab views had on a nice sunny day.

Pom Pax
1st Sep 2011, 16:58
maybe will end up been bussed across from Malaga
My experience of going to Gib......Never got there!
Commenced descent about Malaga, next announcement from the Captain, "As those of you on the right hand side of the aircraft may have noticed we passed Gibraltar a few minutes ago. I am now established on the final approach into Tangier Airport."
I didn't complain....it was where I was headed!

nivsy
28th Oct 2011, 11:17
Gibraltar’s new £50m Air Terminal, will be opened for viewing to the general public on November 3rd.

Easy Jet will increase the service between LGW and GIB for next summer.

Vizsla
28th Oct 2011, 11:28
PORT as a RED wine is always passed to the LEFT at official dinners

RealFish
28th Oct 2011, 21:54
Yes - the answer is in the wind!

Nivsy's experience is the same as mine and on the three occasions I have been there, aircraft fly-by from the east, turn 180 and land from the west - so an 'F' seat will in those circumstances give you the view that you want.

The prevailing winds -the levante - blows through the Straits of Gib into the Atlantic (and covers Gib with a cloud that persistently hangs about over the town). The approach can get a bit choppy.

Somtimes the wind does come from the west so there is no guarantee that F will be the right seat but the odds are that it will.

Lightning Mate
30th Oct 2011, 12:37
Luck of the draw really.

When operating out of Gib I have seen the windsocks at each end of the runway 180 degrees to each other.

Apart from which there are great views of the rock once one disembarks. :)

PORT as a RED wine is always passed to the LEFT at official dinners

Don't forget the Madiera old chap.

fincastle84
30th Oct 2011, 13:12
Don't forget the Madiera old chap.

I prefer Madeira old boy, much more palatable!

There's an awful lot of my RAF salary invested in Gibraltar. I've just checked my log books & I visited over 50 times! I even had to spend 2 weeks there when I was exchange with the CAF. Never once diverted but a few white knuckle arrivals.

Lightning Mate
30th Oct 2011, 14:26
Join the club!!

MKY661
3rd Nov 2011, 20:09
I have never diverted either but back in April when we were going back to MAN both the LTN & MAN flights diverted. Then the BA one did and they went to Malaga first (bit unfair) but it was a good thing in the end the weather cleared up and they bought the planes back to GIB so we got out of GIB ok in the end.

To try and answer the question directly...best place to be is to be sitting window seat ride hand side of the aircraft. Generally breaks through the Spanish coast then over water and around the rock - therefore Gibraltar always visible out the right side windows. If landing is in the other direction it does not really matter where you sit as decent and landing is with water only visible until over the threshold.

I have flown to GIB about 6 times and 5 out of the 6 times come in round the rock (RWY09). Has varied taking off. 3 times for both

philrigger
10th Nov 2011, 10:09
;)

I expect that you have now been to Gib.
Where did you sit and did you get the view that you wanted ?

Phil.

manintheback
14th Nov 2011, 08:07
Sat on the right, excellent views as we did a loop of the rock only obstructed by my 6 year old daughter in the window seat.

PAXboy
14th Nov 2011, 09:50
Really, some six year olds think that they are soooo important. Next, time, just leave her behind. :ouch: