PDA

View Full Version : Six people survive light plane crash in Western Australia

Desert Flower
18th Aug 2011, 08:24
SIX people have survived a light plane crash near the runway at Kununurra Airport, in Western Australia's Kimberley region.

Police say the plane was about 800m from the runway when it crashed at 9.28am (WST) today.

The pilot and four passengers were unharmed in the crash, but a fifth passenger was taken to Kununurra Hospital for treatment to minor injuries including a sore leg and shoulder.

An investigation will be conducted to determine the cause of the crash.

DF.

lilflyboy262
18th Aug 2011, 10:04
Which company did the plane belong to?
Would be interesting to see if its Alligator...

Ixixly
18th Aug 2011, 10:28
C-210 VH-OCM
Investigation: AO-2011-101 - Collision with terrain - Cessna 210N aircraft, VH-OCM, Kununurra Airport, WA, 18 August 2011 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2011/aair/ao-2011-101.aspx)

cowl flaps
18th Aug 2011, 10:31
Slingair pty ltd.

YPJT
18th Aug 2011, 12:21
There is probably a pack of circling hyenas devastated to learn it was not Aligator.

YPJT
19th Aug 2011, 08:45
Can you imagine the frenzy that would be going on in this thread right now if it was Aligator? No one worth more than an ounce of crap likes to see this happen to any operator, regardless of personal opinions.

Plow King
19th Aug 2011, 11:23
Six people survive? C'mon people, how can we sit here and disect the event for pages when six people survive. Pfffft :bored:

MakeItHappenCaptain
19th Aug 2011, 11:39
Irok, (or not...)

Yeah, just look at how many people complain about Slingair.

Nose wheel first
21st Aug 2011, 11:32
YPJT, quite right. No-one likes to see this kind of thing happen to anyone, regardless of who they fly for.

The reason no-one is going off about Slingair though is that they are a vastly different operation. Where they generally try to do things properly and abide by the regs (I know they aren't perfect) and are well run, Alligator is totally different. In the past (I have no knowledge of the present CP but I do know what pressure is applied from above him) they have cut corners and have blatantly thumbed their noses at the regs. On top of that, a number of pilots and engineers who raised concerns were sacked for daring to voice those concerns.

Yes, if it was an Alligator aircraft we would be up to page three of airing their dirty laundry by now. Unfortunately, they have a LOT to air. Slingair on the other hand doesn't!

lilflyboy262
21st Aug 2011, 15:13
Any news or rumours on what caused it or why it happens?
Even any photo's?!
Not one thats keen to find out the dirty details but we have a few 210's in town and would love to find out if there is anything new to look out for!

The Green Goblin
22nd Aug 2011, 00:37
Lilflyboy,

Make sure there is enough fuel in the tanks and don't fly a 10 mile wide circuit :p

Flying a 210 on the PAPI is also foolhardy. Don't put those barn doors into the full position until you are committed to land at about 300 ft AGL :D

Have some courtesy for the following aircraft. Using full length at Kununurra and needing to backtrack because you landed half way down the runway (trying to fly the PAPI) is not what one would consider good airmanship.

A 210 is not a spaceship, or a transport aircraft. Land the thing on the threshold and help the bloke out behind you on base or short final.

Don't line up on a 5 mile final when there is another aircraft calling rolling on the reciprocal runway, and only mention it after they are airborne.

I trust the Slingair boys and girls are doing well :}

Shark Slayer
22nd Aug 2011, 06:39
Have some courtesy for the following aircraft. Using full length at Kununurra and needing to backtrack because you landed half way down the runway (trying to fly the PAPI) is not what one would consider good airmanship.

If you follow the PAPI you will not touchdown half down the runway - you will land at the 1000' markers.

Jabawocky
22nd Aug 2011, 07:44
If you follow the PAPI you will not touchdown half down the runway - you will land at the 1000' markers.

Not if you are way too fast and float...............:suspect:

Dick Smyth
22nd Aug 2011, 10:08
1000 ft ffs, that is bull**** in a 210. learn how to fly and not just follow lights.
I often hear people banging on about a 3 degree glide path, what a croc.

The Green Goblin
22nd Aug 2011, 12:05
Quote:
Not if you are way too fast and float...............

Exactly.

According to my sources they are instructed to land long and hold off for a smooth touchdown. Use all the runway if they need to, just make sure it's a smooth touchdown for the clients.

All well and good until the subsequent backtrack at walking pace :D

Very frustrating when you're following.

compressor stall
22nd Aug 2011, 14:28
I mussed have missed something in my training. How does landing long make for a smooth landing?

Furthermore, how does holding off for longer than normal not scare the clients? sounds like a recipe for a rough landing, a stall warning going off, scaring them even more? :ugh:

The Green Goblin
23rd Aug 2011, 00:50
Exactly :ok:

It all comes from an aero club based in WA :ok:

Land on the bloody threshold and if the PAPI is anything but 4 reds in a light aircraft you should be shot down :}

DISCLAIMER: At night I'd consider it wise to fly the PAPI if available regardless of type.

neville_nobody
23rd Aug 2011, 02:37
Land on the bloody threshold and if the PAPI is anything but 4 reds in a light aircraft you should be shot down

Any consideration for aerodrome design classification in your theory there? If you land on the threshold that means you will be roughly 50' at 300m from the end of the runway. That could become problematic if you start undershooting or get wind shear/down draughts. At least if you land further in from the runway end you have a small amount of buffer up your sleeve.

Jabawocky
23rd Aug 2011, 03:33
GG..:ok:..........some folk don't and won't get it......:E

lilflyboy262
23rd Aug 2011, 06:33
Most of these guys fly out to bush strips don't they?
The strips in my part of the world are around 800-1000m long. You start aiming to land 1000ft down the runway, you are going to end up having problems real fast at the other end.
You should have the ability to fly the aircraft and put it down where you want it to go, softly and safely.
Windshear is going to cause you problems no matter where you aim to put it down.

And yes, it is poor airmanship to use full length when you dont need to and have other aircraft following you in.

The Green Goblin
23rd Aug 2011, 11:26
Jaba,

That's the attitude you're dealing with next door.

The Green Goblin
24th Aug 2011, 00:00
I've watched it happen many a time :)

flymarco
24th Aug 2011, 02:06
I didn't know there was a papi in kununurra....
Those strange lights you see on your left during the approach are called a t-vasis...

scavenger
24th Aug 2011, 02:17
Those strange lights you see on your left during the approach are called a t-vasis...

They're actually called AT-VASIS, otherwise, nice first post :D

MakeItHappenCaptain
29th Aug 2011, 17:20
Source is either s:mad:it or jealous.
Nothing wrong with rolling through to twy A.........
Unless you're the following a/c who hasn't left enough spacing and rushes the preceding pilot to hurry off.
All that does is panics low timers into blowing tyres and blocking the runway completely.:uhoh: