PDA

View Full Version : Chasing The Dream

opt1mus
17th Aug 2011, 23:47
Hello, 30~ year old JAR-PPL Student here, aspiring to gain employment flying piston engined aircraft anywhere, if I manage to find funds for CPL. I've noticed the BA recruitment plan, but fall short of their requirements. I'm currently working in the security sector, in a position which is best suited to elderly retired types who no longer wish to use their grey matter. I'm not sure if I've made the right choice, but I've made a gamble - the same gamble I'm starting to see throughout this forum, and reading them has caused doubt to build inside, but I don't want to let go. I've placed myself in debt in order to chase this apparently foolish dream, I'm not even sure what I'm asking for from whoever reads this, perhaps a success story. My funds will dry up after IMC/Night Ratings, that is of course if IMC still exists as it is - because I've heard from other pilots that this is being changed/consolidated into something else. Apologies if this is an atypical sob story. Your's confused, and trying my best to be optimistic; - Learning at Hurn/Bournemouth in Dorst UK.

oldspool
18th Aug 2011, 08:07
As you will have no doubt have read on here there are many posts about people 'chasing the dream'. There are horror stories and there are success stories.

What I would say is that don't let either the 'go fo it' or the 'forget it' posts persuade you too much (though thats not to say not to take it on board, the advice on there tends, more often than not, to come from people who know what they're talking about). Ultimately, everyone's situation is a bit different and what's right for one person may be catastrophic for someone else, and vice versa.

My advice would be to get your PPL and simply do some flying initially. This will help you make your decision, because you might find you're happy flying as a hobby or equally, you might find that it cements a decision to pursue a career in aviation. Get involved in the LAA scene as this will be the most cost effective way of keeping current. I'm not a member but I'm told the Solent Strut is well worth a look.

If you want to fly piston engined aeroplanes as a career then I think the key is to enter the market debt free (or with a full-time so you can pay the debt off quickly) because these sorts of jobs wont be the best paid flying jobs (there will be exceptions I'm sure).

There is no easy answer but try and keep your head up.

FANS
18th Aug 2011, 09:05
You’re in a dire day/night job where flying seems like an absolute dream, and all you need is £30k+ to do your CPL/IR and you’ll be there.

Firstly,do you really want to do SEP work? I’ve heard so many say this when what they really mean is to do as a building block to airliner jobs – i.e. flying a virgin 747 into SFO is where they want to be!

Only then can people advise.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Aug 2011, 09:16
If your budget is limited, and you particularly like piston engined aeroplanes, can I suggest looking at the route to being a microlight instructor?

It's an okay living, relatively accessible, and very much about being enthusiastic about flying little aeroplanes.

A share in a microlight would allow you to cheaply build hours using either an NPPL or a JAR licence, then the instructors course is much cheaper than the JAR CPL course.

And you can always switch later and upgrade, at 31 you're not exactly over the hill.

G

opt1mus
18th Aug 2011, 14:32
Thank you gents for the input, I see that the cost of flying courses are almost half in South Africa - specifically with AFOS. Too good to be true?

chimichanga
23rd Aug 2011, 14:14
Just remember one thing, when someone tells you about "the pilot shortage", they are usually trying to sell you something.

AucT
23rd Aug 2011, 15:39
@opt1mus: I am in the same boat as you are. Just started my PPL training and looking towards CPL/IR. There is a thread where a user managed to complete fATPL for £48K.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/403410-modular-much-cheaper-than-integrated-look.html

Bealzebub
23rd Aug 2011, 18:13
There is a thread where a user managed to complete fATPL for £48K.

Then read what the same poster wrote nearly two years later.

My MEIR is going to expire in May this year which mark 2 years of unemployment from completing my training.

I was also debating the question at first.

My position:
I'm currently working in a supermarket and any other work I can get paying for living costs etc and now having to fork out probably the best part of £2,000 (if im lucky) to keep the ratings I have not used outside of training for them.

KAG
25th Aug 2011, 11:05
aspiring to gain employment flying piston engined aircraft anywhere
That's something doable if you are able to go anywhere as you say and debt free.

The genghis advice is quite a good one, don't skip on it too fast.

usualguy
25th Aug 2011, 19:42
take exemple on me:

2000h, 320 rating, mei, cfi, FAA ATP, JAA CPL...and no job after 2.5 years.
europe seems doomed, 3-4 LCC airlines who got the 320 and are maybe hiring a few pilots only , and most airlines want top gun pilot with 6000-10000h or newbies.

where do I stand?

I don't fancy to go to africa to fly single piston for peanuts.

Will not trade my confortable life style for a life where I will have to sleep with mouskitos and will not give my money to anyone.that's my rules.

I' ve never been in debt, and will never pay to fly outside of flying lessons for rating.
at this time, I spend only 25$/year to keep my FAA CFI.

KAG
26th Aug 2011, 02:07
Usualguy:
From piston instructor to A320? You are missing a few steps.
You could have 20 000 hours of piston, it would be the same answer: you are missing a few steps.

usualguy
26th Aug 2011, 07:22
yes I know I am from the old school where you start as a FI, get your hours then move to the airlines.Many of my friends are in the same boat.

We will laug when all these airlines will be filled with A320 pilots, and no seat to place them except to become a cabin crew. What would be the next step?

Don't gamble your money, if you don't have it, don't borrow.

corporate-pilot
26th Aug 2011, 09:20
On the one hand you say you want a career flying pistons and then go onto to say you don't meet the requirments for BA. You seem a bit mixed up and unsure of where you want to go with this. This is not uncommon when starting out but perhaps look to get your house in a bit more order and understand what will motivate you.

Personally I am unsure of the merits of the IMC rating, some will advise it is good grounding for the IR (if you plan to do it), but the reality is the IMC is only a good foundation for the IR if the instruction is good. I've spoken to a few IR instructors who have had to undo a lot of bad habits gained by pilots with an IMC. So my advice is perhaps that the money would be better spent on a CPL, or an instructor rating, or a share in an aircraft etc

I had a pretty clear goal when I set out, I wanted to either fly regionals or get into corporate aviation. I had no desire to instruct or fly single crew in a piston so stuck with my plan. On finishing I got my old job back for a few months and networked my butt off before getting an excellent corporate job. Within the first 12 months of working I had 2 further job offers, both of which were as a result of chatting to crews while "down the line". I can't stress enough the importance of networking. I have stayed with my original job as it's so much fun and pays well (I get more than some regional captains).

So there is a success story for you.

PS Luck played an awful lot, I can guarantee there are folks out there who have networked more than me, I just had a good dose of luck help me out.

VJW
26th Aug 2011, 10:27
usually how many of your hours are on A320?

KAG
26th Aug 2011, 10:54
usualguy: yes I know I am from the old school where you start as a FI, get your hours then move to the airlines.Many of my friends are in the same boat.

I am from what you call the old school also.
Flight instruction, bush, charter, multi, turboprop, small jet, then B737NG.

That's why I say you are missing a few step. I wouldn't aim directly at the A320 in your situation. Next step would be bush flying on single or twin piston, then turboprop, an so on....