PDA

View Full Version : Varsity - Red Steer

Ron Cake
17th Aug 2011, 19:52
In the early 1960s a small number of Varsities at the Air Electronics School were equipped with Red Steer, a tail mounted radar. The purpose was to train AEOs destined for the V-bombers equipped with Red Steer as part of their defence systems. One of the Varsities was WF 328 but I have been unable to identify the others.

I have been told that the radar was seldom used as intended. It seems that the peculiar and high speed rotation of the radar head necessary to generate a conical scan caused vibrations along the fuselage that unnerved the AES staff pilots. (And it would have taken a lot to unnerve some of them)

Does anyone know the background to this project and in particular whether Red Steer in the Varsity was ever used, as presumably envisaged, for fighter affiliation exercises?

There is a photo of WJ 937 of ETPS Farnborough c. 1960 showing what appears to be tail mounted radar. This might have been a pre service trial installation of Red Steer. Does anybody know?

johnwilli
20th Aug 2011, 20:02
In 1961 I worked on Hullavington's AES Varsities as a 'lekky'. To the best of my memory they were all fitted with Red Steer. Don't know about the vibration but the power supplies certainly made a loud noise, there was a considerable difference between the power available in a Vulcan to that of a Varsity.

aw ditor
23rd Aug 2011, 19:38
I hope they used the pogo stick!

Prangster
24th Aug 2011, 19:17
Never thought I'd see words like that in such close formation. My what a sheltered life I've led. PS IT is a joke isn't it?

Ron Cake
25th Aug 2011, 16:16
PRANKSTER

No, it was for real.

Facts:

a. Red Steer was a tail mounted radar for detecting approaching fighters.

b. Red Steer was fitted to some Varsities for aircrew training.

OK, maybe real live 'fighters' were never flown against the Varsity but they must have used something, a JP perhaps - anything to give a paint on the radar screen.

I know it may all seem a bit unlikely but there must be someone out there who can enlighten us - Please!

John Willi:

Thanks for the comments about power supplies. I wonder whether an auxilliary generator and perhaps an additional inverter were needed. There must have been significant power demands because, I understand, a special air intake was positioned on the rear fuselage to provide cooling.
aw ditor:

I believe use of the pogo stick at all times was mandatory.

Kitbag
25th Aug 2011, 17:13
Some words from the manufacturer (http://www.ekco-electronics.co.uk/Red_Steer/Red_Steer.htm#)