PDA

View Full Version : Missed approach from runway 26 at Innsbruck

Nicholas49
17th Aug 2011, 15:00
Afternoon all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before. I promise I have searched to try to find the answer, but no avail.

If you need to go-around from an approach to runway 26 at Innsbruck (Austria), how do you avoid the mountain at the end of the runway? Do you have to turn sharply or do you have to use a steeper-than-usual climb gradient (I know there is no such thing, but you get my drift). Or both? What would be the typical climb-out rate for an A320/B737?

Thank you.

I have realised that the question relates not only to a go-around, but also a take-off from that runway!

2 sheds
17th Aug 2011, 19:13
Google Austria AIP.

Nicholas49
18th Aug 2011, 11:39
OK, have done. But not being a pilot, I can't read an approach plate. :hmm:

Alteburger
18th Aug 2011, 14:05
There are two procedures depending on when you go around.

1) Normal missed approach is a left turn at 1nm prior to the threshold at a maximum speed of around 155 kts and climbing to leave the valley on a similar track to the way in. Acceleration and flap retraction is delayed.

2) Balked landing procedure takes you a mile beyond the airport, a small right jink for two miles, and then a left turn again at around 155kts before leaving the valley on a similar track to the way in. Again, acceleration and flap retraction is delayed.

There are other profiles based on the engine failure case for balked landing, and engine failure after takeoff cases as well.

Denti
18th Aug 2011, 15:40
Or simply follow the RNAV (RNP AR) procedure which has a full go-around procedure according to the balked landing procedure albeit with 165kts in the turn. Easy to fly as you can let the automatics handle it or simply follow the waypoints otherwise.

Alteburger
18th Aug 2011, 16:10
I think the question asked related to where the go around procedure took you geographically.

We don't have the benefit of RNAV approaches unfortunately...!

BOAC
18th Aug 2011, 17:42
Nick - stick with Alteburger who, like me, believes in knowing where he/she is going:). The 'mountain' is not 'at the end of the runway' and allows easily for a visual turn onto the easterly runway from downwind..

The departure (all engines) turns well before it. In the case of an engine failure, there are tracks which depend on remaining performance, the 'worst' of which one of which goes well out along the valley to the north-west before doubling back in the valley and out to the east. Very scenic!

Nicholas49
19th Aug 2011, 12:32
Alteburger/BOAC - many thanks. I will always be happy if flown by a pilot who believes in knowing where s/he's going. ;)

I was, of course, being a bit mischievous with my mountain comment, but I did not realise that it is possible to turn before it - very interesting. I haven't been to Innsbruck since I was a child, but yes I imagine it is very scenic and interesting from a flight crew perspective. Tempted to take a flight there just to see how it's done!

One more question: why is the ILS off-set for the approach to the westerly runway (I think I am right in saying there is no ILS for the easterly runway)? Is there a technical reason for this?

BOAC
19th Aug 2011, 13:14
Haven't been for quite a while, but the westerly WAS offset 5 deg for terrain reasons, and the easterly approach WAS a loc/DME to a point s-east of the field from which a turn to final could be made. Again for terrain.

It was amusing to drag the c/crew out of the back galley onto the rear steps on turn-round and watch their faces as they looked at the enormous lump of rock sticking up to the north of the runway. 'T was very scenic!:)

Nicholas49
19th Aug 2011, 15:33
Spectacular Innsbruck airport approach - YouTube Here is a video of an approach to runway 08, in case anyone is interested.

Denti
19th Aug 2011, 18:16
Aye, it is a lot of fun to fly to INN. Except in bad weather... The special LOCDME is of course the preferred manouver as it has the lowest minimum, however since it requires a special balked landing procedure and a 3.8° glideslope we use whenever possible the RNAV approach (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=188HjQkjJzCcUFTzxX4Etsh85j9qQDbSi8bOg0Iv1llEBCjsCgypg0 XAojopV&hl=en) nowadays. Minimum is quite a bit higher, however it is "only" a 3.5° descent path and now special procedure is required even for a balked landing.

mutt
19th Aug 2011, 19:18
But not being a pilot, I can't read an approach plate. And yet you ask some of the most thought provoking questions on this website... Keep it up, I applaud your enthusiasm :ok::ok::ok:

Mutt

Nicholas49
21st Aug 2011, 19:51
Thanks for your kind words, mutt.

Although my work does not involve aviation and I've never even had a flying lesson, I have always been fascinated by the world of flying. A visit to the flight deck of a Virgin Atlantic 747 mid-flight as a youngster certainly helped. In another life and with the benefit of good eye sight, professional aviation is definitely a career I think I would have enjoyed.

I'll be flying on a 737-800 in just over a week, and it's fair to say I'm a tad excited about it. It'll no doubt raise a question too. ;)