PDA

View Full Version : Airbus 320 Dual Eng Fail with Fuel Remaining.

charlie83
17th Aug 2011, 01:09
Folks, help me out here, I feel I must have missed the obvious.

As the title says, now QRH through the procedure. Let's assume we have managed to get the APU going. No where in the procedure does it mention Yellow Pump ON.

What have I missed?

Thanks in advance.

3holelover
17th Aug 2011, 02:19
Just guessing.... Your RAT is already dangling, giving you limited hydraulics, if you don't manage to get at least one stove re-lit, you won't need any more hydraulics? (...and maybe, if they're still able, they're still windmilling, providing some hydraulic pressure so you can choose your crash site with authority? - actually, now that I think about it, maybe the QRH should just say, "Good Luck!") :sad:

Silvio Pettirossi
17th Aug 2011, 03:02
The Yellow electric pump is meant only for auxiliary systems like cargo doors, and is not designed to power the main hydraulic users (flight controls etc.) These can only be powered by the yellow system via de engine pump or the PTU. In case of double engine flameout the flight controls are powered by the RAT via the blue system.

3holelover
17th Aug 2011, 04:48
The Yellow electric pump is meant only for auxiliary systems like cargo doors, and is not designed to power the main hydraulic users (flight controls etc.) These can only be powered by the yellow system via de engine pump or the PTU.

BUZZZZ! No soup for you! ;) Yellow pressure via the a/c elec pump, #2 edp, or ptu (via green) is used for some primary flight controls... spoilers 2 and 4 on each wing, one of the rudder actuators (don't ask me which one, I haven't got the bloody books with me!) the stab, and one elevator actuator...

The man said he's got the APU running.... so if he really wants to pick his spot, let him use the flippin' electric pump, who cares what it was "designed for". .... (but I really think he should be spending his time trying to get one of those LRT's fired up again.)

Espada III
17th Aug 2011, 06:21
Seems to me that this is the landing in the Hudson scenario - what did they do?

Artificial Horizon
17th Aug 2011, 06:30
We discussed this at our last tech refresher course, Yellow ELEC pump is not included in the QRH drill, instructor couldn't give a reason why.

Hudson pilots DID use the yellow electric pump and I can assure you I would aswell.

Microburst2002
17th Aug 2011, 07:52
There has been more threads about this. Anyone can put a link?

rudderrudderrat
17th Aug 2011, 08:25
Hi charlie 83,

FCOM 3.2.29. G(Y) SYS Low Press.
"Note : If yellow system is affected, the yellow elec pump may be used."

So if you really wanted to use it - then fill your boots. It is similar to the Blue Hyd electric pump and is perfectly capable of moving the flight controls.
(When the pump comes out of the box, a mounting bracket is fixed either way round to make it suitable for either Blue or Yellow Hyds)

TyroPicard
17th Aug 2011, 09:05
And it will run the Flaps as well.... just takes a little longer.

charlie83
17th Aug 2011, 22:12
Thanks for that chaps. Much as I suspected.

If I remember, I'll bring it up over coffee with the next TRE I meet.

And yes, getting at least one donk working along with plotting the path of least resistance would be the priority, but for all the time it takes to push one button, I'll take as much hydro power as I can get :ok:

Thanks again.

Tommy Tipee
19th Aug 2011, 17:32
The yellow electric pump is identical to the blue one, so is fully capable of supplying all the yellow system requirements.
Indeed, if you have a blue pump failure, the yellow is interchangeable with it, so can be a useful "get you home", provided the yellow EDP is available.
Unfortunately, in this instance, the First Officer will then be required to close the cargo doors using the hand pump. RHIP!!

Microburst2002
20th Aug 2011, 08:37
What would be more efficient?

jest selecting yellow elec ON? or switching the PTU OFF before turning yellow elec ON?

In the latter case we would have to lower the L/G by gravity and we would not have NWS (old models) which in the case of a ditching would not have any impact. But I think that for flaps extension it would be more efficient with yellow only than with yellow and green (from yellow). After all, the power comes from one pump only, and there should be less mechanical energy wasted from friction, etc...

IFLY_INDIGO
22nd Aug 2011, 05:32
Just guessing.... Your RAT is already dangling, giving you limited hydraulics, if you don't manage to get at least one stove re-lit, you won't need any more hydraulics? (...and maybe, if they're still able, they're still windmilling, providing some hydraulic pressure so you can choose your crash site with authority? - actually, now that I think about it, maybe the QRH should just say, "Good Luck!") :sad:

yeah, right. tons of luck needed to match hudson performance..

if you could get yellow pressure by using yellow electric pump, might as well let PTU liven up the green hydraulic circuit also... ?? you may take gear down easily and still fly in alternate law...