PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone protective cases

OFSO
16th Aug 2011, 13:15
Anyone any opinions on the usefulness of these ? The sort of rigid plastic that clips around the back and sides with 'oles in it to access the functions ?

Obviously they are going to stop the case being scratched, but if the damn thing falls to the ground will they stop the smartphone case cracking ?

They cost €16 here and since I got the phone for free it's €16 I don't want to spend unless you chaps tell me it is a good idea.

mixture
16th Aug 2011, 13:31
My opinion....

Obviously they are going to stop the case being scratched

Yeah, that's probably true. But what about the glass side ?

but if the damn thing falls to the ground will they stop the smartphone case cracking ?

Probably not.

To be honest, any decent insurance policy (not the ones the carrier's try to flog you, but your home one) should cover loss and damage anyway ! The insurers might prefer to get it fixed rather than replaced.

My personal attitude with electronics is that given the rate of R&D industry, and the volumes in which the kit is sold, the depreciation in value is extremely quick, and within a 3 year cycle you are looking at an obsolete piece of technology. Therefore I say use it, abuse it..... and by the time you properly break it, it's probably already time to compare the cost of fixing it to getting the latest model.

Most kit these days is surprisingly robust anyway, I've dropped my MacBook Pro from desk height onto a concrete floor (after a quick airborne flight) and it's still operating perfectly apart from one or two cosmetic dents....

vulcanised
16th Aug 2011, 14:32
Don't know if they deliver to Spain, but 7dayshop.com often charge a lot less on such kit.

jimtherev
16th Aug 2011, 15:49
I agree about 7dayshop; personally I've used a number of the polycarbonate covers which look after the thing cosmetically. I've also been able to trade on after a year, and can say, cross-me-heart, that the phone looks as new.

OFSO
16th Aug 2011, 16:01
Thanks guys, in fact my brain must be freewheeling as I didn't even look at amazon and they DO deliver free to Spain.......

Yes, big chunky case, ordered it already.

390cruise
17th Aug 2011, 09:03
Mixture

I would be very careful claiming on your home policy for phone repairs.

The excess on the policy is more than most back street shops would charge to repair the phone!!

Secondly the claim will increase your renewal cost for the following year.

My excess is £100 the shop down the road will supply and fit an I phone 4 screen (exterior OR LCD) for £20!

mixture
17th Aug 2011, 10:15
390cruise,

Thanks for the note.

I wasn't really advising insurance anyway, as I went on to make my stance on gadgets fairly clear (use them, abuse them... they're obsolete in two minutes anyway, so don't worry about a little scratch).

But yeah, I guess you're probably right in general, although as always it might depend on the small-print of your policy.

OFSO
21st Aug 2011, 08:14
Follow-up: ordered case from amazon, didn't arrive, courier firm has delivery signature from someone unknown to family (who were in house 7/7) or neighbours, so obviously took it to wrong address, amazon can't send new one from "Fulfillment Centre" (WTF ?) and are giving money back.

Start again ! To be fair to amazon, first time it's happened.