PDA

View Full Version : Pickers

Rollingthunder
16th Aug 2011, 08:41
We've got American Pickers and Canadian Pickers...those who go around the country rescuing juck or semi-junk for re-sale at a profit.Time for Oz or UK to get into the act.

uffington sb
16th Aug 2011, 09:01
The rag & bone men used to take anything left out the front on their regular rounds shouting "raaaaaaaagnbon"

tony draper
16th Aug 2011, 09:39
Old worlmate of mine went to the States a couple of years back with a group ,not to visit Disney World or to see the Grand Canyon but to tour American scrapyards.
Proper shedites they were.:E
When nephew Draper was a wee urchin his Mum caught him about to exchange a pile of his Dads freshly ironed shirts for a balloon off the ragman.
:)

Slasher
16th Aug 2011, 09:51
I reckon deep down your a bit of a Harold Steptoe Sr yourself Drapes, if push came to shove! ;)

http://www.quickrelease.tv/pix/steptoe.jpg

tony draper
16th Aug 2011, 10:00
Yer Mr Slasher, myself and junk go back a long way.:E

Wholigan
16th Aug 2011, 10:04
When I were a lad, we had a real old rag and bone man used to come round with his horse and cart. His cry was something like:

"Oldraaaagsanlumberrr". We used to like him coming round because for some reason or another his horse always crapped in our street and we collected it for the roses and rhubarb.

Loki
16th Aug 2011, 11:26
Ours used to ring a handbell between cries of "Oooold Iron!"

tony draper
16th Aug 2011, 11:36
Round here the ragmans call was.
"Hennyregsawoolins"!!
The old lady who sold bundles of sticks round the back lanes
"Stickiteeawwww"!!!
The seller of soused Herrings,
"Callahaaaarn"!!!
The Co-op Undertaker
"Bring out your dead"!!
:rolleyes:

beaufort1
16th Aug 2011, 13:07
The only thing we had like that was fishermen selling freshly caught mackerel, wrapped in old newspaper and sold from the back of an old Austin van. This is now disallowed due to H&S concerns. :rolleyes:

Tankertrashnav
16th Aug 2011, 13:11
not to visit Disney World or to see the Grand Canyon but to tour American scrapyards.
Proper shedites they were.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

On a trip to Offutt, our co-pilot, who collected car number plates (!), suggested a trip to a scrapyard out in the sticks of Nebraska somewhere. His request for any old plates for sale was met with deep suspicion by the guys on the site, who obviously thought these 5 Brits were some sort of bunch of touring scrap metal thieves.

We beat a hasty retreat before ironmongery of a more sinister type was produced.

shedhead
16th Aug 2011, 13:17
we still have a scrap man round here, he turns up a couple of times a week and announces his presence by playing a bugle very badly. If he does it again when I am on night shift he will find himself playing it from an orifice that was not designed for the playing of bugles.

Rollingthunder
16th Aug 2011, 13:38
No, thing is to travel round and find barns and sheds with stuff hanging in and out, buying stuff and re-selling...old stuff... refurshibale stuff and original stuff...valuable stuff, but that stuff what most peeps miss.

Slasher
16th Aug 2011, 13:53
The Co-op Undertaker
"Bring out your dead"!!

Twas lucky you weren't as old back in
those days as you are now Drapes! ;)

p53kJX64ieQ

stewmath
16th Aug 2011, 14:07
we have some coming through lichfield like everyday, they used to blow on a bugal and shout any old iron. But now its just a recorded tape on a loop.

"Any old iron?"

Wholigan
16th Aug 2011, 15:06
Harry Champion - Any Old Iron - YouTube

sisemen
16th Aug 2011, 15:18
Them as wot lives in Orstralia will be more than familiar with this illustration - the regular "bring out your dead" kerbside collection. Most of it goes in recycling - ie after dark there's one massive jumble sale goes on to pick over all the good bits.

http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/2010/09/17/e3c5424c0afa7f8b85cb04ef2bee6a32_resized.jpg

Storminnorm
17th Aug 2011, 10:49
My Gran gave an old Bible, (1650 - ish I believe.) to the
rag & bone man for a couple of "Sandstones" to do the
front door step.
My Mum went mad!!!
It had a fairly full record of hatches & dispatches for the
intervening period.
She never did find it.

MagnusP
17th Aug 2011, 11:03
A friend who does LOTS of international travelling used to buy a second-hand book in each country visited, and keep spare currency inside it for next trip.

The charity shop to whom his wife donated "these tatty old books" while he was away one time must have received a pleasant surprise. :E

SpringHeeledJack
17th Aug 2011, 11:34
No, thing is to travel round and find barns and sheds with stuff hanging in and out, buying stuff and re-selling...old stuff... refurshibale stuff and original stuff...valuable stuff, but that stuff what most peeps miss.

Like this Mr Rolling ?

Barnfinds Portugal (http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm)

SHJ