PDA

View Full Version : Dead Men Sitting...

Cacophonix
16th Aug 2011, 06:47
Anyone who spends six hours a day in front of the box is at risk of dying five years sooner than those who enjoy more active pastimes, it is claimed.

Clearly being sedentary is not good for one but this report by the University of Queensland (strewth I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on) seems pretty flawed science...

Every hour of TV watching shortens life by 22 minutes - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8702101/Every-hour-of-TV-watching-shortens-life-by-22-minutes.html)

Of course the journalism is worse. The title of the article might imply that for every hour spent in front of the box one actually gains 38 minutes of life...

On the basis of this kind of errant empiricism airline pilots are dead before they born given the hours they spend on their behinds...

Caco

ChrisVJ
16th Aug 2011, 07:20
Seriously flawed research. Takes absolutely no account of the risks inherent in sports or the damge to joints, bodily parts etc regularly incurred by exercise junkies.

The only way to avoid sports injury is avoid sports.

goudie
16th Aug 2011, 07:26
given the hours they spend on their behinds...

PPRuNing, must seriously damage your health too:eek:

Cacophonix
16th Aug 2011, 07:37
PPRuNing, must seriously damage your health toohttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Physically yes!

On the mental side I must admit that I was probably mad before I started posting on JB. The fact that I did start posting just confirmed my lunacy! ;)

Caco

srobarts
16th Aug 2011, 14:14
Now just how am I placed when I watch 3 hours of TV and walk 2-3 hours during the day?
BBC News - 15-minute daily exercise is 'bare minimum for health' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14526853)

corsair
16th Aug 2011, 14:21
If you have time to spend six hours a day watching TV then it's because you have a seriously sad and lonely life with nothing else to do. No wonder they die sooner. On the other hand six hours sitting sitting at a computer means you have a wonderful life, with lots of 'friends'. You're all my friends aren't you?

But seriously what is it with this continuing anti TV bias. It was understandable back when it was new and strange. But several generations have grown up with it now and the world isn't falling apart. Well it is but not because of TV.

OFSO
16th Aug 2011, 14:21
srobarts, I'm in exactly the same situation: excercise and watching TV cancel out. So neither longer nor shorter, then.

But what matters is what you PUT in those extra years of life. If you are having fun, stick around: if you're being miserable, hurry up and die and leave some O2 and H2O (not to mention space) for the rest of us.

I believe that in the Koran it is written:

Allah says every hour spent in the contemplation of a beautiful woman is not reckoned against your lifespan.

Now that's much a better way to spend your time than either sweating at the gym or watching TV.

Perhaps some members of JB could post appropriate pictures below and extend ALL our lifespans.

Parapunter
16th Aug 2011, 14:38
...and last week, we had research telling us that people will live to 150 within a generation or three. That leaves this nonsense swinging in the breeze. Or maybe that nonsense. Either way these reports come along almost weekly nowadays, merrily contradicting one another. Me I play squash, ride my mountain bike & plonk my backside infront of the telly most nights.

I'm not worried, I've never thought I'll get off this world alive.

Slasher
17th Aug 2011, 04:04
No one has mentioned the health benefits yet that comes from shagging (http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/features/10-surprising-health-benefits-of-sex).

Allah says every hour spent in the contemplation of a
beautiful woman is not reckoned against your lifespan.

Sounds to me like a tacit thumbs-up for Playboy and Mayfair!

rh200
17th Aug 2011, 05:35
Now that's much a better way to spend your time than either sweating at the gym or watching TV.

Unless of course it contemplating the hot sweaty women in the gym, or ones on TV:p

Cacophonix
17th Aug 2011, 07:19
I wonder how these geniuses from the university account for the life spans of those who regularly run on those machines in gymns while watching the television. I say this with a smile as I suspect that they assume a sedentary posture while watching the box.

A good place to have looked at some of the mortality tables on this would have been South Africa where television wasn't introduced until 1976. I doubt that one would have found any difference in the mortality rates pre or post television but, of course, I may be wrong! If anything life spans (as many have noted here) are likely to have extended although the insurance industry doesn't give much credence to the idea of an extension beyond 120 years at the maximum.

An exact number like 22 minutes smacks of sheer rubbish though!

Caco

ShyTorque
17th Aug 2011, 09:45
BBC News - 15-minute daily exercise is 'bare minimum for health'

OK, thanks for posting that advice. I'll get a stronger spring fitted in my mouse.

tony draper
17th Aug 2011, 10:51
You will never find the wild creatures of the Earth doing pointless exercise, they expend the minimum amount of energy possible to survive then rest up,if it's good enough for the natural world tiz good enough for me.
:rolleyes:

Storminnorm
17th Aug 2011, 10:58
Son in Law plays squash, tennis and is into Kung-fu.

I don't argue with him about the benefits of it all.

But,there again, I don't have joint & muscle problems
like he does, and I'm nearly 30 yrs older.

G-CPTN
17th Aug 2011, 11:50
I worked in a office with two guys who were 'opposites' - one was a couch potato who spent the lunchtime in the bar whilst the other played squash.

The squash player had more time off 'sick' than the couch potato, who, declared "Whenever I feel like exercising, I lie down until I feel better."

vulcanised
17th Aug 2011, 13:06
Two brothers ran a business near here for many years.

One was quite active, playing golf and tennis, and a non-smoker. The other was rarely seen without a smoke going and I doubt I ever met him sober at any time of the day.

Guess which one died first?