PDA

View Full Version : Cathay pacific scandal

jackdaniels
16th Aug 2011, 05:19
Any rumour on what happened?

FO Cokebottle
16th Aug 2011, 11:17
Quoted in my email to a newspaper who reported this crap......

I would like to point out a few details:

1. The flight attendant in question is NOT wearing an official Cathay Pacific uniform blouse (which is an off white colour with small Cathay swish logos of green red and yellow all over it) as would be the case on an "in-flight" duty - having removed her tunic (which is all red in colour save the seam trim which is burn yellow in colour)for cabin duty.

2. She is not wearing the standard pantyhose that a designed to prevent such ailments as varicose veins etc. that are associated with standing/walking for long periods under pressurised conditions. In fact she is wearing self supporting stockings which look good above the hem line but offer nil benefit to the wearer.

3. Her make up is shoddy at best - taking into account the pixel size - this is not to Cathay cabin crew required standard. Look at the slept-in look of the eye liner for point in case. After a crew rest make up has to be reapplied before going back on duty in the cabin.

4. Her skirt is navy blue whereas Cathay flight attendants skits are red - same as the tunics.

One thing is for sure though - these two pictures were taken in the cockpit as she is sitting in a jump seat with her legs resting on the seat in front which has lambs wool covers giving reason to believe that that seat is a pilots seat.

The interior of the cockpit is blue/grey suggesting its an Airbus cockpit.

The door is between the seat she is sitting in and the second jump seat. I know that the A330/340 have the two jump seat to the right of the cockpit entry door. Not sure about the A310/19/20 series cockpits, but for sure the A380 has a jump seat either side of the cockpit entry door.

Conclusion: it "may" have well occurred on-board a flight but by the evidence above - its not a Cathay flight nor flight attendant as.......wait for it.....

CATHAY DO NOT HAVE A380 NOR A320 AIRCRAFT IN ITS FLEET.

Further to the above and after a google search here is the following quote from an unrelated forum (to this news artical) regarding A320 jump seat configuration:

"Most of them have two. One behind and slight left of the CA seat, and the other parks behind the FO seat and slides in front of the door when folded down."

A closer look of the sitting picture confirms that its an A320 cockpit and therefore, NOT an aircraft in the Cathay fleet.

I suggest, for your reporters, do a search of mainland China airlines and their cabin crew uniforms to nut this one out.

TigerStripes
16th Aug 2011, 12:44
Aircraft sex scandal costs Cathay Pacific pair their jobs
By Ed Jones | AFP News – Sat, Aug 13, 2011

Cathay Pacific has said two of its employees caught in a set of Internet photos apparently engaging in oral sex on board an aircraft have left the company.

The Hong Kong carrier launched an investigation last week after photos emerged of a woman in a red outfit resembling the Cathay cabin crew uniform performing oral sex on a man, reportedly her boyfriend, on board an aircraft.

"I can confirm that two members of our crew shown in compromising situations in photographs published recently in Chinese-language daily newspapers are no longer employees of the company," Cathay chief executive John Slosar said in a statement released late on Friday.

"I know that many people were disturbed by the damage this incident caused to the reputation of our cockpit and cabin crews."

It was not clear whether the pair were sacked or resigned voluntarily, as the airline said it would not disclose details.

The airline also refused to say whether the incident took place in the plane's cockpit, but said the investigation found no evidence to suggest the act happened on any of its flights while airborne.

Cathay said the findings of the investigation would be submitted to the city's aviation authorities.

"I find any behaviour that recklessly soils the reputation of our company or our team members as totally unacceptable," Slosar added.

The photos prompted action from the Hong Kong flag carrier after they were circulated on an online forum for pilots and later attracted the attention of local media.

The unidentified man in the photo, was reported to be a pilot but was not wearing a Cathay pilot's uniform, has reportedly told a local newspaper that the photos had been stolen from his personal computer.

Cathay Pacific has 13,000 staff around the world, including more than 8,000 cabin crew and 4,000 working in airports, according to its website.

Thai Pom
17th Aug 2011, 00:59
So why are Cathay saying that the concerned parties have been dismissed?

jtr
17th Aug 2011, 02:57
Couple of minor points F/O Bottle

1) The uniform you quote is the "BC" uniform, i.e. lowest rank. The pic in question shows a girl in the "FP" uniform (FP's btw are the ones who "serve" the flight deck most often.)

2) Standard Pantyhose???.... No seriously.... For one who knows very little about the CX uniforms of varying ranks you have a startlingly intimate knowledge of the approved pantyhose.

3) Make up.... You can tell if a girl is CX or not from her make up? Anorak perhaps?

4) Refer point 1. She is an FP, they were a dark blue skirt.

etc etc etc.. CX have come out and said that She and He are "no longer employed by CX"

I suggest there is pretty strong evidence in that that it was in fact a CX 330 or 340.

Oh look..Statement by Cathay Pacific Chief Executive John Slosar
12 August 2011

The following statement is issued on behalf of Mr. John Slosar, Chief Executive of Cathay Pacific Airways:

“I can confirm that two members of our crew shown in compromising situations in photographs published recently in Chinese-language daily newspapers are no longer employees of the company.

I can also report that we have found no evidence to suggest that the incidents happened on any of our flights while airborne.

We will now produce a report of our findings and pass it to our regulator, the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department. We will continue to co-operate with the CAD as required.

I know that many people were disturbed by the damage this incident caused to the reputation of our cockpit and cabin crews, all of them serious safety and service professionals, and to the airline itself.

I want to assure the public and all of our staff that we conducted a thorough investigation into the circumstances in which the photographs were taken and published.

And I can provide further assurance that our investigation was fair, conducted without fear or favour and with no special consideration or regard for rank or position in the company.

As Chief Executive of Cathay Pacific, let me be crystal clear about one thing: I find any behaviour that recklessly soils the reputation of our company or our team members as totally unacceptable.

That’s why we moved as swiftly as we could to ascertain the facts of the case, and to take decisive action.

I appreciate that some people wish to know more details of our findings.

However, the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance strictly limits us from discussing matters between the company and individual employees.

For this reason, we cannot release information about the specific actions that have been taken by management or individual members of staff, or comment on rumours relating to individuals.

This is the law, and we must and will respect it.

But I am satisfied that the actions we have taken are the right ones and that the lessons learned will make all of us in the company even more conscious of our responsibilities under our own Code of Conduct and the privacy provisions of Hong Kong law.

Finally, I would like to thank the Cathay Pacific team for their understanding and concern as we carried out our inquiries, and also to those who conducted the investigation with diligence, determination and commitment to a fair process.”

Press Release (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/aboutus/pressroomdetails?refID=db0d78ad45db1310VgnVCM62000007d21c39_ ___)

FO Cokebottle
17th Aug 2011, 05:14
jtr,

I stand corrected.

I am not employed by CX - I am with another major carrier in the area and I was dubious because 1. of all the CX cabin crew I've been behind in immigration crew lines have not been dressed as the girl in question. 2. I was assessing the pictures against the cabin crew standards of dress/uniform/appearance with that of the airline I am with - they have a dress code manuel. 3. Having limited knowledge of Airbus cockpits (Boeing rated) having only been in the A330/340 cockpit being positioned.

I am sick of the media jumping the gun. CX would come out in response to the media in any case - which they did stating they are conducting an investigation.

In the end, you gotta question the maturity of the two involved - like "what were they thinking?"

The facts are out and thats the end of it I guess - for the two concerned anyway.

Thanks

ReverseFlight
18th Aug 2011, 08:10
A closer look of the sitting picture confirms that its an A320 cockpit and therefore, NOT an aircraft in the Cathay fleet.Wait a minute, there's an A320 simulator at Cathay City ...