PDA

View Full Version : Tyre/Tire Long - Medium Term Storage

rjtjrt
16th Aug 2011, 03:04
How do I store a tyre/tire for optimal preservation in medium to long term storage?
It is a small tailwheel tyre so small enough to get in plastic bag if recomended.
John
PS I did a search - nil found

Wally Mk2
16th Aug 2011, 03:13
Many moons ago tires where wrapped in a wax covered paper to keep them from drying out & splitting & stored in a dry place until sold. That was 'T' model ford days but am sure rubber compounds have come a long way since then. As a suggestion & seeing as the tire is small enough to enclose easy enough in an air tight bag sprinkle baby powder over the tire as well as inside then if possible vacuum bag the tire 'till yr great great grandson needs it:)

P.S............do a Google search of 'long term storage of rubber products'....info there:-)

Wmk2

baron_beeza
16th Aug 2011, 03:44
You did mention tailwheel so I assume we are talking an aircraft part.

The storage of aviation products, especially for Type Certified machines, is normally subject to some form of control.
I am not suggesting the rules as such always apply but the guidelines are generally a good pointer.
We were always taught tyres were to be in a darkened room with minimal airflow etc... that would have been in relation to rubber products of a generation or two ago.

The NZ CAA rules and circulars are easy to navigate about.

www.caa.govt.nz/Advisory_Circulars/AC00-2.pdf

Tyres
Tyres should be stored vertically in special racks embodying support tubes, so that each tyre is
supported at two points. Two-thirds of the tyre should be above the support tubes and one-third
below. By this method the weight of the tyre is taken by the tread and distortion is reduced to a
minimum. The tyres should be turned to a new position every two or three months. Where tyres are
delivered in bituminised hessian wrappers, the wrappers should be left on during storage.

You can see that it is not a modern circular and is obviously talking about airliner stuff also.

In reality hangars, and possibly even some suppliers, store tyres in all kind of manners.
As distortion and perishing are your enemies in this case you just need to do all you can to minimise the risk.

A sealed bag, out of direct sunlight in a cool, draught free location should meet all the criteria.

Old Akro
18th Aug 2011, 02:17
Rubber continues to vulcanise after its formed. Therefore you want to slow this process. You should find a dark cool place that retains the tyre it its proper shape (ie don't stack anything on it). Neither the tyre or I care about what you wrap it in, except that it should be protected from solvents dripping onto it.

Jabawocky
18th Aug 2011, 04:42
Sulphur is used in the curing process, and it keeps working with time and temperature. As Old Akro says.........

Best method of storage is simple..........leave it where it is however it is, dont do anything at all. When you get back plan on buying a new one. You can go to all sorts of trouble now, but I bet you that you will need to replace it anyway. Even if it looks OK it will not last.

Stationair8
18th Aug 2011, 06:00
Very informative article in Business and Commercial Aviation around Nov/Dec 2009 on tyres and included correct storage procedures as recommended by the various manufacturers.