PDA

View Full Version : JQ204 AKL-SYD Cancelled due snow

scon
15th Aug 2011, 23:58
Have some family friends that were due to travel today on JQ204 from Auckland to Sydney. Have just been called by someone at Jet* to say that the flight has been cancelled due to snow in Auckland and that Jet* won’t fly due to safety concerns, and they have been rebooked on the same service tomorrow. However in the same breath the caller from JetStar offered that for a price they could change to a Qantas flight as they are operating ops normal out of AKL.

Anyone got any info on this?

27/09
16th Aug 2011, 00:02
I had to check the calendar. Thought it might have been the 1st of April.

Enough snow in Auckland to stop ops at NZAA. :D

Someone's having a bit of a pull of the leg here I think.

framer
16th Aug 2011, 00:03
At a guess I'd say that they can't fly because of snow in either NZCH or NZQN because an aircraft that was supposed to fly the akl-syd service is stuck on the ground in one of those places. Just a guess though.

PLovett
16th Aug 2011, 00:11
Just as a sidebar question - does Auckland even have de-icing equipment?

From some of the TV footage I saw last night wing contamination may well be a problem.

27/09
16th Aug 2011, 00:19
From some of the TV footage I saw last night wing contamination may well be a problem.

Not in Auckland.

The footage you saw was probably shot in somewhere like Christchurch but for the sake of making the news more newsworthy was said to be from Auckland.

Yep, there was a few snow flakes in the "big" city yesterday and even possibly some at the airport but not enough to require de-icing.

PLovett
16th Aug 2011, 00:40
Ah..............................most likely the case, thank you.

scon
16th Aug 2011, 00:45
No leg pulling on my part, I was confused as they were about the apparent snow.

@framer, yea I thought it could be along those lines. But when they were told due safety concerns yet QF are flying I was somewhat perplexed.

NIK320
16th Aug 2011, 00:52
I think they had 4 aircraft based in CHC and all are probably stuck there now.
Even if the aircraft that was supposed to operate the akl-syd isn't one of those the flight was probably canned to make way for some of the sectors that where scheduled for the grounded aircraft.

framer
16th Aug 2011, 00:56
J* really doesn't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to customer relations. They have minimum staff for when ops are normal so when things go a bit pear shaped everyone gets very stressed and hypes things up and misinformation is spread. It's not actually the staffs fault, they get dumped in the deep end with little training in these things and aren't particularly motivated anyway as most of them are on min wage.
It doesn't matter to the company though as they know that customers will b1tch and moan about how they will never fly J* again and then in 12 months time when they need to visit Aunty Jean they will see that it's $80 cheaper to go with J* and use them again anyway.Human nature.

zkcub
18th Aug 2011, 06:28
Yep Ak does have de icing gear.Have seen it out once in the last 3 years and everyone wanted it turned into bit of a circus.

Sqwark2000
18th Aug 2011, 12:57
We de-iced in AKl just this tuesday gone..... our 0710 dep left at 0900...