PDA

View Full Version : You can't take leave*, you might be made redundant!

Willard Whyte
15th Aug 2011, 16:02
Fancied a few days off late August/early September - end of the school holidays and last chance for a few quality days off with the family during the working week.

Trouble is I'm in the redundancy bracket, might get called in for a chat with Harry Staish so I'm told I can't plan anything that day and they won't tell me via telephone (but I don't have to cancel leave just yet).

Boss is looking in to whether exceptions can be made, but really, do Air Command have any idea about personnel management?

*I exaggerate, but you get the picture

Jimlad1
15th Aug 2011, 16:11
What would happen if you were ill on the day in question and physically couldnt get into work?

While probably somewhat cheeky, why not book X days before and after, don't take that day, then unfortunately feel ill on the day in question and get someone to call in sick on your behalf.

Somewhat underhand, so totally in line with current J1 policies then :E

gijoe
15th Aug 2011, 16:57
That is more about your big Boss protecting himself than it is about getting the news to you on the day.

Green has briefed that each individual has as much responsibility to get in touch with their notifying officer as the the officer has in tryng to get in touch with said individual. i.e. a 2 way street to make sure it happens on 1 Sep and not 3 weeks down the line.

If you want it, I hope you get it. If not, I hope you don't!

G:ok:

Dengue_Dude
15th Aug 2011, 18:04
On the day I was joyously told I had got my voluntary redundancy in 1994, there was a similar leave embargo. As close to 100% attendance as possible.

Whilst I was delighted (having applied) there were many who were singled out for negative attention and weren't quite so chuffed.

Whether this was a mandate or just bosses being 'careful', I don't know, but once decreed, it doesn't matter much, you don't have too much of a choice.

Yet another reason for being out - NOBODY can tell me what days I can take off or not (I work for my own company now).

. . . well I suppose my wife can, but that's a different thing . . .

Willard Whyte
15th Aug 2011, 18:06
I'd rather be on leave enjoying time with my family, not waiting for a phone call that can only mean one thing, even if they won't tell me what it's about.

Biggus
15th Aug 2011, 18:30
Take the leave....

If you're not made redundant then there's no problem.

If you decide how you wish to be informed if you are made redundant, phone, e-mail, delayed till you come back off leave, etc, then that's YOUR CHOICE.

Is being told personally by the Stn Cdr your decision, OR HIS - so he can feel good about himself that he is looking after the chaps, and tell his command chain what a good chap he has been.

It's your life, your military career, or ex-career, and if you've been made redundant all the soft soap in the world from the Stn Cdr won't change anything. Or is he worried about duty of care, if someone on his base is told they are redundant in some insensitive manner and does something foolish as a consequence...?

It's a bit like the interview with the Stn Cdr just prior to retirement. What's the point? It's a bit late in the day then to be showing any interest in the individual, and if it's to say "thanks for your time", well, I for one can live without that thanks.

Perhaps if more senior officers said "thanks for your efforts" to individuals, not some massive gathering, on a more regular basis then fewer people would be leaving in the first place.........

Pontius Navigator
15th Aug 2011, 20:16
Perhaps if more senior officers said "thanks for your efforts" to individuals, not some massive gathering, on a more regular basis then fewer people would be leaving in the first place.........

I had to give my boss a write up prior to my departure. I got it back on nice blue paper signed off by a 2*. I don't remember if he used the word sincerely.

Gone are the days when you actually got to meet the AOC or SASO. In days of yore V-force pilots got interviewed by the AOC before being awarded a captaincy.

HTB
16th Aug 2011, 06:47
I had an interview with AOC 1 Gp in 1975 (at the lovely big house in Bawtry); although it wasn't about becoming a V-Force captain (I was a pilot officer Nav Radar).

His outer office staff were very nice and gave me tea and biscuits (I was allowed to take off my hat as well during the "interview"), so my prognosis was probable survival.

Eventually took voluntary redundacy in 1996, having risen to the dizzy height of sqn ldr, while at a large NATO installation in Germany. Amiable interview/chat with the SRAFO (Gerry W**ts), nice letters from all sorts of star officers, some who could not possibly know me (or the letters might not have been so laudatory).

It was a good feeling to take the money and run...and looking back miss only the good times ang good guys an' gals I worked with.

That's Mister B to you...

Self Loading Freight
16th Aug 2011, 07:17
A friend, getting wind of an oncoming Festa del Santa Redundo from embedded intelligence sources, developed a strategic illness that lasted for the two weeks around the danger period. The logistics and legal complications that attach themselves to kicking off the process for someone that isn't there are such that her name was swapped from one list to another, and following a satisfactory recovery to the rudest of health she continues in post to this day. Result.

The name she swapped for would probably have a different take on this.

R

Whenurhappy
16th Aug 2011, 07:26
My parenting unit wrote to me to confirm my 'whereabouts' on 1 September and asked whether I would be happy to be informed by telephone, or would I prefer to be informed in person by a suitable 'grown up' at a UK unit (but travel cost - air - are not authorised!).

Apparently OC PMSs ae being issued the letters
'shortly' by the manning staff at a conference at High Wycombe.

sidewayspeak
16th Aug 2011, 07:42
Assume they will only be making those pers redundant that are in the eligible fields - no surprises in store?!

Laarbruch72
16th Aug 2011, 09:02
Willard: The guidance on my unit is that you absolutely can take leave, just make sure that your COC have your mobile number so they can inform you as soon as they know. It's not an Air Command directive, it just sounds as though your COC are covering their backsides.

IrishSarBoy
16th Aug 2011, 09:08
what's the worse than can happen, they'll sack you!:} Re-joining the 'real' world is somewhat dauting thing but needless to say it shouldn't kill anyone. Best of luck, and take the leave;)

ACSfirstfail
16th Aug 2011, 09:32
Mmmmmm........leave.....what's that!!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
16th Aug 2011, 15:01
ISK personnel can take leave.

Duncs:ok:

ShyTorque
16th Aug 2011, 15:19
Nothing much changes, it seems.

My Wg Cdr boss got his ear bent by the AOC during a station visit about us (240 OCU staff) not taking our leave. I was called into his office as one of the worst "miscreants". He was very angry about getting his ear bent and wanted to pass some of the **** down the chain of command.

He agressively demanded to know why I hadn't taken any leave at all that year.

I pointed out he had personally rejected my last three leave applications.

Nothing more to be said, really. :ugh:

ghostnav
16th Aug 2011, 16:37
I cannot believe I am reading some of this. For a start, you have a contact address - so if they need to contact you they can. If anyone below the Staish gave me my Brown Envelope, I would be more than ticked off!
As for ShyTorque - how were your leave applications refused? I thought JPA just accepted them!

Dengue_Dude
16th Aug 2011, 16:54
He agressively demanded to know why I hadn't taken any leave at all that year.

I pointed out he had personally rejected my last three leave applications.

Nothing more to be said, really.

Who says there isn't a God . . . . ;)

Biggus
16th Aug 2011, 16:57
If I was made redundant (which I won't be, too old), the last person I would want to tell me would be the Stn Cdr.

I would want it to be someone who actually knew me as a person! ;)

Willard Whyte
16th Aug 2011, 20:29
But who would tell your wife, Biggus?

ShyTorque
16th Aug 2011, 22:55
As for ShyTorque - how were your leave applications refused? I thought JPA just accepted them!

No such thing as JPA back then. Leave passes went to Flt Cdr for recommendation then to Sqn Cdr for approval.

downsizer
17th Aug 2011, 08:50
Not if you self certify as is the case for SNCOs and above.

Laarbruch72
17th Aug 2011, 08:59
Ah of course Downsizer, I'm thinking of approval for claims etc. I'll remove my incorrect post.