PDA

View Full Version : No sweat sez SpiceJet - just a scratch on the tail-skid

Centaurus
15th Aug 2011, 14:21
Tail-strikes ground SpiceJet aircraft (INDIA)

New Delhi - A SpiceJet aircraft has been grounded by the civil aviation safety regulator -the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) - after the plane's belly was severely damaged in a tail-strike.

A tail-strike is when the tail portion of the aircraft touches the runway first during landing or touches the ground due to high nose altitude during take-off.

The tail-strike took place on July 19 when the aircraft, a Boeing 737-900 ER (call sign VTSPU), landed at the Guwahati airport. The DGCA has initiated a high-level inquiry into the incident - fourth such involving the same plane.
"We have grounded the pilot also," a DGCA official said.

The earlier tail-strikes took place on February 7 and 19 this year in Bagdogra and Delhi and August 12, 2008 in Bangalore.

"A series of tail strikes is a clear indication that there is something wrong in the training as well as the procedures that are followed," said Capt Mohan Ranganathan, member of a government committee on air safety.
"It is also a reflection on the inexperience of not just the pilots but the training team for not emphasising on the correct techniques to follow," he said.

SpiceJet confirmed that damage was caused to the aircraft but no passenger was injured.

"SpiceJet takes safety very seriously and ensures all action is taken to avoid future occurrences of this nature," the airline said in an e-mail response to Hindustan Times.

"Tail strike at the time of take off or landing point on this aircraft type does occasionally happen according to Boeing. That is why it is fitted with a tail skid to avoid damage. This aircraft has done 6000 flights since the first incident," SpiceJet said.

Tail strikes do occasionally happen..that is why the aircraft is fitted with a tail skid to avoid damage. Oh that's alright then- subject closed:mad:

Rollingthunder
15th Aug 2011, 20:53
Yeah no sweat Spicejet. JAL 123 ring any bells?

Stick_Rudder
16th Aug 2011, 04:41
Tail strike at the time of take off or landing point on this aircraft type does occasionally happen according to Boeing. That is why it is fitted with a tail skid to avoid damage.Hahaha.:D
Also aircrafts fall from the sky occasionally. That is why they are fitted with wings.:ugh:

av8r76
16th Aug 2011, 05:34
This particular a/c does have a weight and balance issue. I fly the plane regularly and the controls do react differently and several of my colleagues do concur.
The remedy as of now.... no flying for the FO's and special briefs. This is ironic cos 3 out of 4 strikes were courtesy captains.
Inadequate training/experience is a valid argument but the fact is it is ONLY happening on Uniform. All other 900's are flying unscathed. So maybe more to it than meets the eye. Either way, I take any aviation journalism in India with a very big grain of salt. I recommend you do the same. We will scoff at any reports and declare it drivel if it offends your sensibilities. However, a report scathing of a particular airline not affecting you directly will offer up these sarcastic posts. Consistency please.
Having said that, the Spicejet 'official' response gives you an idea of the calibre of folks in charge here.

Left Coaster
16th Aug 2011, 06:33
Ummm..What exactly is a COURTESY Captain?

av8r76
16th Aug 2011, 08:13
Thanks to captains..... in other words courtesy captains.

I forget that all here don't have English as their first language. Apologies to all.

sky jet
17th Aug 2011, 00:44
Must have been local pilots dragging tail. Not one word about "unsafe expats". If it was an expat this thread would be 5 pages long.

Sky Dancer
18th Aug 2011, 04:07
It's a dangerous trend that is being set in the Indian aviation industry.What Capt.Ranganathan has said is quite true as the training systems and also selection procedures need to be relooked for most airlines.What you said about 3 out of 4 strikes being caused by Captains does not surprise me as the only critirea for the selection of a Captain in India today is if the pilot has an ATPL and if he knows the procedures.Well to me that really does not make a pilot.You need to know if he has the skills and the ability to become one.I heard that Indigo has had it's fair share of close shaves as well but has been well hushed up.I'm sure we'll be hearing more of such stories in the years to come and I won't be surprised if there will be worse cases that these.:ok: