PDA

View Full Version : GSS information

fabbry1972
15th Aug 2011, 13:08
I'd like to have information about monthly roster, annual leaves and the average monthly salary after tax for a first officer. I kindly thanks in advance.
Fabbry

zeddb
16th Aug 2011, 13:08
Have you tried looking on the website?

There is an FAQ section that provides all the information that you want.

Type GSS into your search engine of choice. All will be revealed.

If you are still stuck PM me and I'll do my best.

fabbry1972
16th Aug 2011, 13:37
Hi zeddb, tank you so much for your advice, actually i' ve already taken a look to the faq section of the web site, but i'd like to know if the amount indicated is after tax or not and as you could immagine, having direct information from someone that works there is always more accurate.

Flightmech
16th Aug 2011, 14:45
It will be before tax. Everyones tax situation is different so the salary quoted is gross before any tax and other required deductions.

zeddb
16th Aug 2011, 14:50
The salaries quoted are in British pounds and are gross, ie before any tax or other deductions.

If you live in Italy, then you will need to convert the amount into Euros (ouch) and then either pay or evade whatever taxes and social charges are in force there.

Bear in mind that you need to be within 4 hours of EGSS for standby duty. There are those who commute from Europe but Italy might be pushing it unless you live near an airport.

fabbry1972
16th Aug 2011, 16:10
Thank you again zeddb and Flightmech, do you have any id discount or zed travel with British in order to commute? How many standby day do you have normally in your monthly roster?

zeddb
17th Aug 2011, 10:41
do you have any id discount or zed travel with British in order to commute? No. Plenty of flights to EGSS from Europe with the likes of Ryanair though.

How many standby day do you have normally in your monthly roster?Depends. Sometimes none, sometimes 4 or 5 or 6. Sometimes you don't get called, sometimes you do. I just got called for Friday. They normally give you a bit of advance notice.

I wasn't aware that any more recruitment was happening at the present, unless it is for the hold pool.

Until the delivery dates for the -8 are finalized, nothing is certain. I understand that there are enough warm bodies either finishing training or in the pool to cover most eventualities for the moment.

fabbry1972
18th Aug 2011, 11:01
I wanna thank you again for your esaustive explanation of the situation, now i' ve much more aspects to take into consideration. In the meanwhile i've also found your posts about GSS recruitment. May i consider you sending PM if i' ll have further aspects to know?
Thanks
Fabbry1972

zeddb
18th Aug 2011, 13:28
Be my guest.

WhaleDriver
12th Sep 2011, 15:40
Since none have been delivered yet, my bet is no, on the first -8.

zeddb
15th Sep 2011, 07:31
Have they got the first 747-8 yet?

No, but neither has anyone else. Most folk have now been through the conversion course so the assumption is that we haven't got all dressed up for nothing.

Are any 744s staying?

Maybe 1, maybe 2 maybe even 3, on the other hand, maybe none at all.

Everything depends on when the -8 arrives. Hopefully next month as EASA certification is now complete. Try asking the same question on the Cargolux forum. They don't know either.

Maybe you could give Boeing a ring. If you hear anything, do let us know.

Have a quick look at the economies in the Eurozone. Not a very pretty picture, wouldn't like to guess at cargo volumes in six months.

Flightmech
15th Sep 2011, 16:13
Cargolux get there first two next week.

The dash that turned into a marathon :: Air Cargo News :: The World's Best Read Air Cargo Newspaper (http://www.aircargonews.net/News/The-dash-that-turned-into-a-marathon.aspx)

Flightmech
16th Sep 2011, 16:35
Don't know the source or reliability but found this on another site

Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings (AAWW - $47.07 - Underperform)
Another Customer Swaps out 400F for -8F

Panalpina Upgrading to -8F. Yesterday morning, AAWW announced that existing customer PWTN will replace its 2 existing 747-400 aircraft with 2 new 747-8F’s expected to arrive in 1H:12. PTWN signed a new multi-year ACMI deal with AAWW, replacing its old contract that we believe was set to expire around 2014.

No Net Placements. Yesterday’s announcement does not remove placement risk for AAWW but rather shifts it from previously needing to place 2 -8F’s to now needing to place 2 400’s. AAWW also now expects British Airways to return all 3 of its existing 400’s when its previously announced -8F’s arrive later this year. So AAWW has announced ACMI customers for its 1st 5 -8F’s, but no net placements as these customers will be returning 400’s.

Significant Upcoming Placement Risk. Over the next year, AAWW now has 5 400’s from PWTN and BA to place, 3-4 normal 400’s coming up for annual renewal, and up to 4 more -8F’s expected to arrive in C12. Into slowing demand and rising airfreight capacity, it could prove tough to place these planes at attractive ACMI rates. And with charter and military cargo demand slowing, we don’t see good alternatives for AAWW to temporarily place these planes.

Modest Near-Term Upside from -8F. While we see significant EPS accretion from the -8F over time, upside appears limited in C12 as the 5 400’s coming back from PWTN and BA now seem very likely to get moved to charter and replace the 5 remaining 200’s AAWW plans to retire next year. Thus, AAWW will receive the incremental gain of a -8F vs. a 400F in ACMI as well as the incremental gain of a 400F vs. a 200F in military and charter. However, beyond these 5 aircraft being offset with retired 200’s, AAWW has no potential offset from additional planes arriving or up for renewal.

Retain Underperform Rating. While valuation seems compelling, we believe AAWW faces the most risk in our coverage universe from rising airfreight capacity, weaker airfreight pricing, and significant plane placement risk.

zeddb
17th Sep 2011, 08:40
Interesting Flightmech. The maybe none at all scenario could be the most likely.

Unless there is some work for the 400's other than BA. Given the state of the world economy, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

And I tend to be an optimist.

Not a good week to give up sniffing glue....:zzz:

Llademos
17th Sep 2011, 11:45
ATI has announced that Cargolux has refused to accept the -8F due to performance issues with the aircraft. It appears this was an eleventh hour decision, with them withdrawing their people who were at Boeing.

Edited for this link (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9PPSCT80.htm) to the same story, different source.

Ll

William A Bong
19th Sep 2011, 13:10
Zeddb

I think that there is more than one way to read the announcement that "BA will be returning all 3 -400's" to AAWH.

My take on it is that BA have decided not to keep any -400's with GSS. That was always pretty likely. Remember they still have options on another 2 -8's.

But that doesn't mean that we will not be using one or more of the 400's to work with other carriers. The DHL rumourmill is still churning, latest one being East Midlands westbound. Personally I dont think that will happen, but the Shanghai - Leipzig - East Midlands rumour I think much more likely.

As always with GSS, something might happen sometime.

Flightmech
22nd Sep 2011, 09:44
I don't think there was ever any sliding the other way. Just BA to GSS and back.

I think there may be still be at least one -400F remaining at GSS anyway:ok:

zeddb
22nd Sep 2011, 11:52
Midnightcruiser,

The recent additions should be absorbed by the retirements and those who will probably be offski for pastures new over the next 12 months. Any work outside of the BA contract should be for our guys only in terms of promotions but I heard that the DHL thing was tied up with BA so maybe not.

Tuesday's communication seems to provide more in the way of optimism re the 400's as Mr. Bong has pointed out.

We might be in the doo doo in the UK but the German economy is still doing pretty well. Frankfurt Friday looks set to continue in the short term at least..

Ct.Yankee
22nd Sep 2011, 15:26
Business & Technology | Atlas Air cancels orders for three Boeing 747-8s | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2016278205_atlas22.html)

Popgun
23rd Sep 2011, 00:37
Still I'm sure BA will afford the same security to GSS pilots as they do to the secondees, and any surplus will slide across to the LHR 744s. Least they could do after GSS provided their FOs with nice cosy left hand seats for several years. It is one big happy family after-all.

Either tongue in cheek or the most hilarious post i've read in a while. There will be no 'sliding' to BA LHR pax ops for GSS pilots if ever the STN operation turns to $hite...

In the same way that there was never going to be any 'sliding' to Atlas Air for the non-American AACS pilots when that STN operation was closed down...

PG

Popgun
11th Oct 2011, 00:50
A long, long, long time. Most likely too long to wait even if you were in your early twenties. BA pilots have a contracted right to take LWOP and assume GSS commands...

Joining GSS these days is a good way to get some great experience flying the 74 around the world with some really good people...but a career (ie command) it is not..

PG