PDA

View Full Version : Working on Borneo

CLL
15th Aug 2011, 12:08
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking at moving to Malaysia (East Malaysia) early next year for personal reasons and I need advice on where I may be able to find work.

I have 3300 hrs total with 3050 command in a variety of piston twins plus a few hundred on King Air and Citation.

Any help with where I should search would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

sins.sixniner
15th Aug 2011, 12:13
try maswing they are short of crew:ok:

CLL
15th Aug 2011, 12:29
Is the MASwings main base in East Malaysia??

Cheers

Tmbstory
15th Aug 2011, 14:51
CLL:

If i may ask, why do you want to work in Borneo?

It is a great place to live and work, however aviation jobs there, will be limited.

MasWings, I think are a subsidy of Malaysian Airline System (MAS), who has now taken steps to join / work with AirAsia.

If I can help with any advice, please send me a PM.

Tmb

Inigo Montoya
15th Aug 2011, 22:53
If able to get on with MASWings, you'd probably be looking at Kuching, Miri, or Kota Kinabalu. However, there are tons of Malaysian students that don't have jobs coming out of flight school. I highly doubt a non-Malaysian passport holder would be able to get an FO position. Command on type (ATR or Twin Otter) would probably be a different story. The DCA doesn't provide conversions/validations for foreign FOs.

If you have a Malaysian passport, you could try Sabah Air, or Hornbill Airways (Sarawak). I don't remember the name of the other one out of Sabah. The only other options would be as a flight instructor, which I wouldn't recommend in East Malaysia as flight training in the country is shrinking for lack of government sponsored funds for students, and they are sticking to the big three.

Another resource could be flylah.com.

msian1147
16th Aug 2011, 05:51
Maswings did have a recruitment drive back in June, I'm not sure whether they're still hiring. For FOs, yes, you have to be Malaysian BUT it won't be a problem if you're coming in as a Capt...

They're operating 4 Twin Otters, and about 10 ATR-72. If you're on the Otters, Miri is your base, do expect around 30-40 hours of flying monthly whereas the ATRs are based in Kuching or K Kinabalu. Monthly flying hrs are around 50, it could go up till 80 during holiday seasons...

You can also try and have a look at Royal Brunei Airlines, IF they're hiring :)

flying.monkeyz
17th Aug 2011, 03:35
Hornbill Skyways based in Kuching operates a fleet of King Airs. Give them a call.

Tmbstory
17th Aug 2011, 08:30
flying monkeyz

Not sure about Hornbill Skyways hiring Expat crews, it has been a long time since that was the case.

However it does not hurt to give a phone call.

Tmb

CLL
22nd Aug 2011, 21:51
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, does anyone have any first hand knowledge of Layang Layang Aerospace or Sabah Air. It looks like they are the 2 likely contenders to start with. I can't see me getting into MASwings as I'm an Aussie.

Cheers