PDA

View Full Version : I wonder ...?

Cacophonix
15th Aug 2011, 05:12
Last night in a moment of whimsy while making my tea I wondered why kettles appear to make a much louder noise before the water boils than after the water boils. Surely boiling tap water is more turbulent (more energetic) and therefore should produce a louder noise? I guess the answer lies somewhere in the midst of the maths of thermodynamics but I thought I would come to PPRuNe for suggested answers!

I also sometimes wonder why women seem to go to the facilities in groups? Is there some deep seated psychological reason or I am just becoming paranoid that they are doing it so they can group laugh at me? ;)

I also wonder… (ad infinitum)!

What makes you wonder? If you do wonder or even wander, post your questions on this thread .

I am also sure that some people here have the answers to these mysteries of life.

Caco

Edited to say that the Straight Dope has a suggestion to the first answer but it seems somewhat simplistic...!

The Straight Dope: Why does a tea kettle get quiet just before the water boils? (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/847/why-does-a-tea-kettle-get-quiet-just-before-the-water-boils)

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 06:16
Oft wondered why a cup of coffee sounds different than a cup of tea when you stir it.
:confused:
The world is full of mysteries.:)

OFSO
15th Aug 2011, 07:40
I also sometimes wonder why women seem to go to the facilities in groups?

Caco', please tell me why women always go to the wc/loo/rest room in pairs ? I remember as a yoof sitting with a few mates and our lovelies in a pub or dancing in a disco, etc., and being amazed at this. We blokes NEVER go for a pee together, it's "oh well if you're going I'll go when you come back". What do they DO in there - together ? Cuddle ? Smooch ?

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 07:47
Why do the womenfolk who go out shopping with a friend who spend hours together then when they get home immediatelly phone each other and yack for a hour.

henry crun
15th Aug 2011, 08:02
I wonder why some people put their name at the end of their posts when it is the first thing we read at the start of each post.

The large majority are unsigned, so do those people who sign, finish reading a post and think "I wonder who wrote that ? "

Cacophonix
15th Aug 2011, 08:33
Oft wondered why a cup of coffee sounds different than a cup of tea when you stir it.

Perhaps it is because tea has a different specific gravity to coffee and the two media transmit sound at slightly differing rates?

Caco', please tell me why women always go to the wc/loo/rest room in pairs ?
Tis a mystery to me and probably better remains so! ;)

I wonder why some people put their name at the end of their posts when it is the first thing we read at the start of each post.
I do this but can only speak for myself. I do it out of habit in the sense that one signs a letter that way. Some PPRuNers sign off with a "cheers" which is nice and friendly even if sometimes they are metaphorically telling you where to get off. ;)

Caco

OFSO
15th Aug 2011, 09:54
Henry, my name is not "Smooch ?"

OFSO (Clear enough ?)

henry crun
15th Aug 2011, 10:04
OFSO, It is as clear as mud ! where did Smooch come into the discussion :confused:

Slasher
15th Aug 2011, 10:09
Every bloody woman I've ever met has told me when they go
join a group of new ladies they do not subconsciously check
out each others boobs, yet in breast enlargement ads there're
loud gasps and looks of sheer envy whenever large-buxomed
goddesses enter a room.

My missus has a great rack but her mate has a much bigger
and far more imposing set, yet both of 'em don't give a hoot.

Have I missed something here or just mixed with the female
exceptions to the rule?

MadsDad
15th Aug 2011, 10:25
please tell me why women always go to the wc/loo/rest room in pairs ?

Some years ago, after an exhaustive investigation (which, admittedly, involved the consumption of a certain amount of alcohol) the investigating committee came to the conclusion that the pair was necessary since one of the women needed a pee and the other was there to beat the crocodiles which infest the ladies* with a large club, so the other would be safe whilst going.

It was my mates cousins missus told us that, so it must be true.

Radar66
15th Aug 2011, 10:31
It's so that we can gossip and compare notes about you blokes in private. :p

MagnusP
15th Aug 2011, 10:34
I wonder why we all spend too much of our lives feckin' about on JB. . .

Slasher
15th Aug 2011, 10:40
Because we can't go feckin' about like this on say airliners.net can we.

sitigeltfel
15th Aug 2011, 10:54
My missus has a great rack but her mate has a much bigger and far more imposing set, yet both of 'em don't give a hoot.

Shouldn't that be 'hooter'?

Cacophonix
15th Aug 2011, 11:12
Good to see we have quickly raised our quest to breasts... Slasher how is Stephanie? ;)

Why on earth do men have nipples though???? :confused:

Caco

vulcanised
15th Aug 2011, 11:45
In the same vein as the original question.

Why is it, when heating a saucepan of water, a much larger volume of steam rises just after you turn the gas off?

MagnusP
15th Aug 2011, 11:48
vulcanised: maybe 'cos with no hot gas rising from the ring, the vapour starts to condense and becomes visible?

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 11:55
Why when I put two slices of bread on the grill to toast I instantly forget about em? or likewise stick a couple of eggs on to hard boil they also are forgotten until I hear the shells cracking as the saucepan boils dry.
:uhoh:
Why is it only with boiled eggs and toast does this strange phenomenon of memory block occur.

vulcanised
15th Aug 2011, 11:55
Good thinking!

OFSO
15th Aug 2011, 12:05
Henry, post 3, this thread, my last word.

OFSO
15th Aug 2011, 12:08
Every bloody woman I've ever met has told me when they go
join a group of new ladies they do not subconsciously check
out each others boobs,

Nowt sexist there Slasher, one tends to give the ol' todger a quick pull to enlarge it slightly before encountering the other nude chaps in the fitness centre changing room.

finfly1
15th Aug 2011, 12:13
"Shouldn't that be 'hooter'? "

Or hooterer?

goudie
15th Aug 2011, 12:17
give the ol' todger a quick pull

I assume just the one pull, OFSO:E

MagnusP
15th Aug 2011, 12:54
I wonder why a recent survey found that, on average, Scotsmen's todgers were 1cm longer than their southern neighbours'. :E

Parapunter
15th Aug 2011, 13:04
Less wear & tear.:rolleyes:

Carry0nLuggage
15th Aug 2011, 13:08
No Northern neighbours :E

Exascot
15th Aug 2011, 13:12
Why do Greeks always sit right next to you on the beach when there is another km of sand available to them? I can see it now from my current location at a beach bar. Perhaps it is culture and they are trying to be friendly. Hang on I will ask one............

He says he didn't when he was with a girl on the beach at midnight last night :uhoh:

goudie
15th Aug 2011, 13:18
I wonder why Police cars sound their siren at 3am when the roads are empty?

Surely not to wake us all up:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
15th Aug 2011, 13:31
I wonder why Police cars sound their siren at 3am when the roads are empty?
Insurance?

Carry0nLuggage
15th Aug 2011, 14:20
I wonder why floodlights mounted on poles to illuminate a car park say, are aimed above the horizontal? Are they expecting the photons to fall to earth under the influence of gravity?

It would have to be a very big car park for the effect to notice

MagnusP
15th Aug 2011, 14:33
Ah, C0L, but if the car park was big enough, the curvature of the earth would mess things up.

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 15:11
Why do they have a blank page at the front of a book with the words 'This page is deliberately left blank' printed upon it.

Carry0nLuggage
15th Aug 2011, 15:20
Maybe Magnus, the combined effect would enable ET to deduce the existance of a carpark on the far side of the Earth.

Meanwhile, back to the document I'm amending complete with a large number of intentionally blank pages.

sitigeltfel
15th Aug 2011, 15:22
I wonder why a recent survey found that, on average, Scotsmen's todgers were 1cm longer than their southern neighbours'. :E

Probably because it was a pretty young blonde with the measuring tape.

They would get the same effect down south if it was done by Graham Norton :E

mixture
15th Aug 2011, 15:24
Why do they have a blank page at the front of a book with the words 'This page is deliberately left blank' printed upon it.

Its to do with the print pagination. Sending stuff of to press is not like pressing print on your printer, the number of printed pages (2 printed pages per sheet) generally speaking has to be divisible by four (and the cover doesn't count, as it's considered 4pp independent from the main job for obvious reasons.... different substrate, ink specs etc.)

Therefore if you have insufficient pages, you have to pad up your document.

The 'deliberately left blank' is just to prevent jobsworths from writing to the publishers trying to tell them they've forgotten to print some pages.

sitigeltfel
15th Aug 2011, 15:34
I always thought the empty page was there for Aunty Mary to write her birthday greetings on.

UniFoxOs
15th Aug 2011, 17:33
Surely nobody would notice the blank pages if they put them at the end. Then they wouldn't have to print on them.

OFSO
15th Aug 2011, 18:41
I assume just the one pull, OFSO

Aye, have to be smartish doing it also as we have a nice litle Asian lady who scrubs out the changing room, the showers and the sauna every morning and doesn't stand for any nonsense whatsoever.

Surely if a page has 'deliberately left blank' printed on it, then it's not blank, rendering the statement false. "This page deliberately printed" would be more like it.

What about the mattresses you see in USA Motels which have "It is an offense to remove this tag" written on tags attached to the mattress. WHY ????

Cacophonix
15th Aug 2011, 19:30
Re the OP:
I think it's because, before the mass of water reaches boiling point and ebullition takes place throughout, as all the little bubbles of steam come off the bottom, they immediately condense and collapse with a bang.

Similar thing happens when marine propellers cavitate hence undesirable on submarines.

You seem to be in the right of it here Basil. An interesting phenomenon.

On the whole cavitation is an interesting subject....

http://homepages.rpi.edu/~laheyr/Sonofusion%20Paper-pdf_Lahey_NURETH-11.pdf

Bubble dynamics is a large and interesting topic in the field of multiphase flow and heat transfer. An important subset of this topic has to do with Sonoluminescence and Sonofusion technology, and the latter will be the main focus of this paper. It should be noted that we will be concerned with the creation of conditions during the implosion of cavitation bubbles which are suitable for thermonuclear fusion (i.e., ultra-high temperatures, pressures and densities) rather than the conditions normally associated with “cold fusion.” Indeed, the physics of Sonofusion is that of thermonuclear fusion, and thus is quite different from any “new” physics which may be associated with “cold fusion.”

Ok, ok I know there is no fusion occurring in my kettle... :ok:

Caco

BrATCO
15th Aug 2011, 21:44
Teakettles are designed, on purpose, to make noise so that we don't forget the gas is lit.
Then, they stop making noise so we can clearly hear the whistling with no interference.
Some kettles are electric, so the noise before the water boils is useless, but ingeneers have kept it so we know it's a kettle. And to keep the tradition.

BrATCO
15th Aug 2011, 21:56
Women go to the loo in pairs because, as we all know, they don't trust anyone nor anything.
While one of them does what-has-to-be-done, the second stays just outside the door. To check. That everything's alright...

There are two reasons for gossiping :
-cover the sounds.
-Keep appearences up : for the woman who stands with no real reason, doing nothing, back to the only locked door in the room.

... or maybe they cuddle ? :suspect:

Hi, Smooch ! :)

stumpey
15th Aug 2011, 23:11
Naa. Its so they can remind themselves what they went there for, otherwise they might forget and go off shopping for yet more shoes!

Rollingthunder
16th Aug 2011, 04:16
Wonderin' - Neil Young and The Shocking Pinks - YouTube

probes
16th Aug 2011, 06:53
Will the beasts of burden (horses, elephants, oxen, buffaloes...) save the world?
No fuel, no noise and exhaust gases (well, different ones anyway), environmentally friendly food, natural fertiliser, less unemployment, less obesity and more busy people (no riots).

BrATCO
16th Aug 2011, 23:29
I wonder why I have to buy a camera, a satnav, a dictionary, an internet link, a computer, a TV remote control, a video games console and so many useless things while I only ask for a mobile phone ?

Loose rivets
17th Aug 2011, 00:21

I dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeam of people only putting their names! It's the ones who put: After a good landing you can use the airplane again. Or You can't have everything, where would you put it?

It's not that I don't think they're funny, its just I get caught out every time. Normally realize about half way through. Doh! :ugh::ugh:

You shouldn't smear chocolate spread over your genitals, people will think your father was a vegetable.

ehwatezedoing
17th Aug 2011, 03:28
I wonder when I buy a bag of air why their is some chips inside it :confused:

goudie
17th Aug 2011, 06:23
Why is the number 4 on watches and clocks, which have Roman numerals, always IIII instead of IV?

Cacophonix
17th Aug 2011, 06:29
You shouldn't smear chocolate spread over your genitals, people will think your father was a vegetable.

You have convinced that me I should adopt this as my irritating quote at the bottom of my posts...

I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is a certain je ne sais quoi - oh, so very special - about a firm, young carrot...

Parapunter
17th Aug 2011, 06:47
'As a youth, I wept in butchers shops'. Gawd bless uncle Monty.

MagnusP
17th Aug 2011, 07:26
goudie: a number of possible explanation can be read here:
Roman numerals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals)

goudie
17th Aug 2011, 11:10
Thanks Magnus.:ok:

BrATCO
18th Aug 2011, 22:49
I wonder why "free" and "occupied" are written outside the door in public restrooms.

When we are inside, we always wonder if the lock worked correctly. Therefore, before we can lower our trousers, we've got to check the little gap between the door and the frame whether the little iron blade is in the right place or not.

Outside, there's always a jerk who tries to open the door, no matter what's written on the lock.

Capetonian
18th Aug 2011, 22:55
Why is it that I can have my phone next to me, or in my pocket, all day, for days on end, and it won't ring, and yet the moment I leave it somewhere, or go to the loo, it will ring? It will stop as I get to it.

The alternative scenario is that both phones will ring at the same time, after a week of silence, and the doorbell will go at that moment.

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2011, 22:58
Beware the 'lever lock' on Portaloos - you can 'lock' the door then when you turn your back it drops into the unlocked position!

larssnowpharter
19th Aug 2011, 01:21
How the hell do they get brazil nuts out of their shells without breaking them?

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 04:03
Its said that everything in Nature serves a defined purpose and role.

So what defined purpose and role do mozzies and humans serve then?

From what I see - nothin'.

Carry0nLuggage
19th Aug 2011, 11:50
God in His wisdom
Made the fly
And then forgot
To tell us Why

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 12:01
Flies were invented to clean up shit by eating it. That's their
purpose. Next!

vulcanised
19th Aug 2011, 12:05
Flies were invented to clean up shit by eating it.

Looking at some of the offerings in the local supermarket I feel that might be perceived as our purpose too.

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 12:17
Well that's half-answered my question in post 58 vulc!

BrATCO
19th Aug 2011, 12:56
Mosquitos are here to remind us how being sucked to the bone by little buzzing stupid creatures can be unbearable sometimes.

Mosquitos were sent on Earth as a warning against bankers.

Slasher
19th Aug 2011, 13:13
Alright so lets see what we got here -

FLIES - to clean up shit by eating it.

HUMANS - to clean up local supermarket shit by eating it

MOZZIES - to warn humans about bankers.

Hmm......

Yeh ok! :)

OFSO
19th Aug 2011, 14:31
Economists were created to make meteorologists look good.........

G-CPTN
19th Aug 2011, 14:36
How the hell do they get brazil nuts out of their shells without breaking them?
Walnuts are peeled before they are kiln-dried when their shells are still 'green' and soft, so I imagine the same applies to brazil nuts.

radeng
19th Aug 2011, 16:06
When walnut shells are green and soft is the time to pickle them.....

Mike X
19th Aug 2011, 22:03
Seems we're in good company.

Sixto Rodriguez - I Wonder - YouTube

GrumpyOldFart
20th Aug 2011, 15:19
I wonder why a recent survey found that, on average, Scotsmen's todgers were 1cm longer than their southern neighbours'.

Prolly cos fecal matter acts as a growth agent.

Cacophonix
20th Aug 2011, 19:37
MikeX

A Rodriguez fan eh! :ok:

7fHfDf7noR8

Canardly
20th Aug 2011, 19:59
Why was there only one Monopolies Commission?

Mike X
20th Aug 2011, 20:03
A Rodriguez fan eh!

Goes without saying, sweet mary jane. ;)

radeng
21st Aug 2011, 09:54
Why, asone gets older, does one fart more?

Capetonian
21st Aug 2011, 10:50
A Rodriguez fan eh!

One of the greatest and most under-rated musicians of all time, and a fascinating story of how, although he was a Mexican-American from Detroit, he was only ever famous in South Africa, Rhodesia, and to a lesser extent Australia and New Zealand.

He worked as a labourer on building sites and disappeared from the public arena for a long time, people thought he was dead, rumours abounded. His music was banned in SA for a long time, which explains the reasons for his popularity there! His are some of the most haunting, lyrical, evocative songs ever written, particularly to someone who grew up with them.

A couple of personal reminiscences. I bumped into him in Wilderness (SA) and my girlfriend thought I was mad, or lying, when I told her. When we went back to the friends were staying with, our hosts told us that he was often there as he had a daughter who lives there.

I went to a concert he did in Rome a couple of years ago, ended up going back stage and being invited out by him and his entourage, what a fantastic evening. The guy is in his sixties, still pulling totty. We ended up at a restaurant at about 2 in the morning, I was sitting next to a rather cute Italian girl, and he asked me if she was 'with' me. When I said no, he immediately started chatting her up!

This is a picture taken at that concert:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7593647/Rodriquez%20in%20Rome.jpg

I wonder how many times you've been had
And I wonder how many plans have gone bad
I wonder how many times you had sex
And I wonder do you know who'll be next
I wonder I wonder wonder I do

I wonder about the love you can't find
And I wonder about the loneliness that's mine
I wonder how much going have you got
And I wonder about your friends that are not

I wonder about the tears in children's eyes
And I wonder about the soldier that dies
I wonder will this hatred ever end
I wonder and worry my friend
I wonder I wonder wonder don't you?

I wonder how many times you been had
And I wonder how many dreams have gone bad
I wonder how many times you had sex
And I wonder do you know who'll be next

All the information is on this website : Sugarman.org - The Official Rodriguez Website (http://www.sugarman.org)

BrATCO
24th Aug 2011, 22:30
G-CPTN,
Beware the 'lever lock' on Portaloos - you can 'lock' the door then when you turn your back it drops into the unlocked position!
SOLUTION : Keep an eye on the locker while dumping.

PRO : That's good for flexibility.
CON : Increased average of droplets ouside the target.

BrATCO
24th Aug 2011, 22:41
Radeng,

Why, as one gets older, does one fart more?

It has been scientifically proven that one doesn't fart more when one gets older.
The difference is that one doesn't care anymore about being spotted in the process.

Slasher
25th Aug 2011, 04:34
Yes Br, but one should beware of trusting one's farts as one gets older! :uhoh:

BrATCO
25th Aug 2011, 17:52
(Recycled from another thread ...)
I wonder why people still need religions in 21st century.
And what good is in them (religions, I mean).

BrATCO
25th Aug 2011, 17:56
Slasher,
Indeed !
Quantity doesn't change, but quality increases with years.
Thanks to training, I guess.

Silent, clean, odorless farts are just... a loss of time.

Capetonian
25th Aug 2011, 18:00
but one should beware of trusting one's farts as one gets older!

It's other peoples' I don't trust!

hellsbrink
25th Aug 2011, 20:11
And what good is in them (religions, I mean).

Oh, there is a need for them.

I, for one, worship the Church of St. James Gate, which means myself and other followers must congregate, at least once a month, on a Friday night where we worship the god Flatulus by consuming a rare dark liquid, which has a cream coloured foam on the top, until we reach our "Holy Day", aka "Katerdag", when we slowly and carefully return home to rest until the morn.

I find said religion gives me a wonderful insight on life, especially as we worshippers confess to various things during the "service" as well as advising each other on how to keep on the straight and narrow path (especially on the way home!).

Loose rivets
25th Aug 2011, 22:42
I wonder why a recent survey found that, on average, Scotsmen's todgers were 1cm longer than their southern neighbours'.

WHAT!! They have TWO centimeter todgers? :(

BrATCO
25th Aug 2011, 22:53
hellsbrink,
This religion has its integrists, too. I can see some of them in the steets, sometimes.

Loose rivets,
I've heard that's because water is cold up there.

Slasher
26th Aug 2011, 04:32

Well I worship Albina, the Etruscan goddess and protector of ill-fated lovers.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKFoYfv1tAmQ8bm1pa22I1m3KFRSnqxDey_23GARO 7iJkvzRA3

BrATCO
26th Aug 2011, 10:24
Slash,
I wouldn't be surprised in discovering you're their big guru. ;)