PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Checked Baggage Allowance Lunacy

ejectx3
14th Aug 2011, 13:35
Can someone explain the logic in the following....

The QF domestic checked baggage allowance before you get slugged extra charges is one piece up to 32kgs...(basic economy)

So I turn up with two pieces, one a normal backback, the other a canvas bag with handles containing sailing gear.

The system tells me I must pay extra charges as I have 2 pieces so I go to a real person and she says "go over to oversize baggage and grab a big plastic bag and put both bags in that, label it heavy, and you're good to go"

Very helpful yes, but the result being that now the poor baggage handlers now have to lift a large plastic bag weighing 32kg with no handles to help them....as opposed to two bags weighing 20kg and 12 kg both with handles/straps for easy handling...

And that is what I was advised to do to avoid charges.... :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

What is the point having a "piece" limit if the overall weight remains the same:?

mikk_13
14th Aug 2011, 14:23
because really qantas wants their customers to fly virgin?

I guess that is how 'Worlds Best practice' works these days. What should have happened is that you walk up to the desk, explain the problem, lady says usually you have to pay an extra charge for two bags, but today we will make an exception for you. Put the bags through, easy to manage for the chuckers, customer is pleased they didn't have to pay the amount and next time they will have one 32kg bag but will be on your airline. Worlds best practice means customer walks away confused because it is ridiculous, pissed because he had to piss about changing bags, and next time he jumps on virgin becuase he can't be bothered with Ryan Air bull on a full service airline.

Last time i flew Q to europe the flight out of brissy was late. I was already through customs and had the connection in sin. So naturally I went to the desk after customs to ask what would happen in SIN as it appears I will miss the connection. The friendly Girl (not really) told me it doesn't matter because i am through customs so its too late to do anything . I thought, yeah it might not matter to qantas but it matters to me since I need to be in europe for an interview the next day thanks sweety. Glad I wasn't paying the tickets.

mikk_13
14th Aug 2011, 14:27
Further more, Do Q staff realize that people will make them last choice with these types of experiences. The difference in attitude is astounding, I've flown both V and Q, and I an unbiased opinion is that V was far superior in regard to attitude, even though they were not 'full service'

lilflyboy262
14th Aug 2011, 17:09
The problem is with the check in systems and no allowances given with it.
When you check in a bag, every bag needs a tag.
Each tag has a unique code on it so they know what plane to load it on, which baggage can it gets loaded into and where it gets taken off the plane in case it gets lost.

To get those tags you need to put, in your example 2 bags at 32 kg.
The system recognises that you have 2 bags and the excess baggage system kicks in.

To get around that system it needs to go as one bag, hence the plastic bag needed to make it 1/32.

The person was doing their best to help you, not confuse you.

Getting 32kgs on a domestic leg is pretty good! You shouldn't be complaining about that. Most carriers only offer 15-20kgs. The whole reason behind one piece is so you dont turn up with loads of bags, filled with whatever, that takes up loads of room in the aircraft holds.

As for your experience milk, the person that helped you is mentally retarded. Just because you are through customs doesnt mean crap. If things go belly up with the airline, they take you into arrivals and land you through customs again. Its not a big deal.
The usual thing is to get the flight underway, no matter how late. Then they can figure out what to do with you when you get to the other end with whatever flights are available. Usually gives them 8-12hrs to figure that out.

Admittedly I worked for Air New Zealand (ground handled Qantas in Auckland) and not Qantas so I guess they do things a little differently across the pond.

ejectx3
14th Aug 2011, 18:45
Yes I realise they were trying to help me and I appreciate it. I am commenting that the system makes it harder for the poor baggage guys than if I was allowed to have 2 smaller bags, especially when the international connection I had just come in on allowed me to do that no problems...

There is no flexibility to allow for common sense....

Especially with sporting equipment...there is no allowance now for sporting equipment, so next time I am going to buy a massive bag and put everything in it.....which is a headache for both me and the guys lifting it....