PDA

View Full Version : Cish and Fhips

Rollingthunder
14th Aug 2011, 04:52
We have one good place. Some say only Halibut (cod endangered) and cooked in lard.

parabellum
14th Aug 2011, 04:59
Proper chips should be cooked in dripping.

As the song goes,

"There's a Plaice for us, somewhere.........."

hellsbrink
14th Aug 2011, 07:00
You're lucky.

Over here they don't do fish and chips unless you go to one of the very few bar/restaurants who like to give the brits/irish over here something to remind them of home.

Oh, and one prefers haddock

CATIII-NDB
14th Aug 2011, 09:13
Cish & Fhips have never been the same since owners started that feeble business of keeping small baches of chips cooking at moderate temps, with the result that you have to wait 15 mins for chips and longer if you want Fish (Oh the Big chumky cod of days gone bye).

The whole attraction of Chish & Fhips was; you felt peckish (its a friday) and nipped in and got served immeadiately; a nice big portion of Cod/Haddoc & Chips - not a pathetic encrusted fish tail and a paltry carton of greasy chips.

Fish & chips is dead as a whoesome cheap meal.

CAT III

beaufort1
14th Aug 2011, 09:53
Numerous chippies hereabouts. There has been an increase in the amount of cod caught locally. :ok:

tony draper
14th Aug 2011, 10:08
Haddock man meself Mr H,more flavoursome than yer Cod.:)

Lon More
14th Aug 2011, 10:11
The Anstruther* Fish Bar (http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/)

http://eatscotland.visitscotland.com/Repository/userfiles/anstruther-fish-bar.jpg

* pronounced Ainster if you're asking for directions

tony draper
14th Aug 2011, 10:22
Oddly enough for a lower orders oink like me I always disliked eating fish n chips out of a newspaper,always prefered it on a plate with bread and butter and a cuppa of course,one had ideas above one's station.:rolleyes:

JWP1938
14th Aug 2011, 10:40
In my very young days you not only got it in newspaper, you didn't even get that minscule square of greaseproof paper under the fish. Eating it, along with half the headlines imprinted on it, was heaven. I know newsprint is supposed to be poisonous but I'm still here.

CATIII-NDB
14th Aug 2011, 10:53
I'm kicking the bars of my cage in frustration at the picture.I haven't seen, let alone eaten; Fish & Chips like that for 30 Years. -

I think the shop mentioned got an award recently.

Bah humbug. Its road kill casserole for dinner. Envious thoughts eminating from CATIII's cage

CAT III

Juliet Sierra Papa
14th Aug 2011, 10:57
When I was at school we used to go to the chippy at dinner time and order chips on a tray with fish bits (small crumbs of batter) and mushy pea juice. Fish bits and the juice were free, 4p for the chips and half pence for the tray. :ok:

OFSO
14th Aug 2011, 11:09
€6 a double portion at my local café here, and unlike some here I'd LOVE it to be served in newspaper but they'd look at me as if I were insane if I asked for it that way.

A bit of history: in Leicester where I grew up (or tried to) there was a fish 'n chips shop where the owner's black cat used to sit on the stack of newspapers used to wrap the comestables, the owner would shove it off, grab a sheet of paper, and put it under t' bag w' fish 'n chips in. Five minutes later, cat would be back on papers. Never noticed it making any difference to the taste, though.

tony draper
14th Aug 2011, 11:26
Yup, four penith of chips with scranchins,mushy peas simply did not feature in the chippies on the banks of the Coaly Tyne in my urchinhood,they were a more recent import from across the Pennines,
Such peas existed of course but they were called Steepy peas, still are by many of my generation,steepy as in they had to be steeped in water overnight,they could be seem in cafes as in Pie and Peas but not in the Fish Shops,Fish and Chip shops dealt in only one product in those days,none of this furrin muck like burgers or kebabs.
:rolleyes:
What about proper Pork Shops? they were summat to behold as well,twas said one could take a bread bun split it down the middle rub it down the steam on the window of a Pork Shop and get a good meal.
:)

Tankertrashnav
14th Aug 2011, 11:33
pronounced Ainster if you're asking for directions

Gosh, lived in Scotland for 10 years, knocked about it a lot since then (including numerous sojourns in Fife on visits to Leuchars), and I never knew that!

Haddock man myself, always shout out from the back of the queue for a piece to be put in the fryer to save time.

Chips with gravy, curry sauce etc are an abomination!

Juliet Sierra Papa
14th Aug 2011, 11:36
Yes mushy peas came from the right side of the Pennines which of course is actually on the left :}
Battered sausage and Chicken pieces were the only other offerings IIRC

GGR
14th Aug 2011, 11:46
Mr D thanks for making me hungry! Pork/Tripe/F+C/ all becoming things of the past. A great pity. I recall the stuffing and sliced pork all wrapped up in greaseproof paper that actually wasnt! Bliss. Dont get me started on pork pies hot from't thuven.
Enjoy your lunch mate

GGR

Avionker
14th Aug 2011, 12:18
Quote:
pronounced Ainster if you're asking for directions

Gosh, lived in Scotland for 10 years, knocked about it a lot since then (including numerous sojourns in Fife on visits to Leuchars), and I never knew that!

Don't worry about it TTN. I'm from Inverness, and I didn't know that either!

radeng
14th Aug 2011, 12:23
In the late 50's and early 60's, mushy peas were usual in fish and chip shops in north Nottinghamshire.

Then there were fritters - two big slices of potato with chopped boiled fish between them as a sort of paste, the whole dipped in batter and fried.

Chip shops were never open on Sundays and Mondays. Modern innovations, regarded with suspicion by older people were the introductions of saveloys and sausages onto the menu.....

Storminnorm
14th Aug 2011, 12:29
The Ocean Trawler fish and chip shop in Southgate, Crawley,
is just phenominal quality, and quite reasonable.
Friday isn't Friday without a visit there.

Almost as good as Harry Woods chippie was when I were a lad
in Cockbrook,Ashton. In those days people that ran the local
"Chippie" were almost Royalty.

No one will sell you a pennyworth of "scraps" nowadays though.

Elf and safety gone mad??

DX Wombat
14th Aug 2011, 12:59
Scraps come free up here Norm. ;) Plenty of good chippies to choose from too. :ok:

Rollingthunder
14th Aug 2011, 14:16
LUNCH

http://www.the-lakes-keswick.co.uk/images_thelakes/plate146.jpg

tony draper
14th Aug 2011, 14:30
Slice of thickly buttered bread and a cuppa and that would do me fine Mr T,
Oh yeh,and a Jar of Pickled Onions on the table as well please.

stuckgear
14th Aug 2011, 15:38
We have one good place.

plaice shurely ?

Chips with gravy, curry sauce etc are an abomination!

should be hanging offence.

iws
14th Aug 2011, 15:54
I can still recall the coke-fired chippy in Bristo Port in Edinburgh (street now sadly gone). Twas like stoking a steam train, the coke was shovelled into the side of the fryer. Penny extra for scraps. Heaven.

I also remember when a warehouse for storing cardboard boxes burnt down, near Mayfield (also in Edinburgh). The significance of that was that, as well as being a jolly good blaze, it occurred just across the road from another good chippy. We were well satisfied that night!

Lon More
14th Aug 2011, 18:57
Don't worry about it TTN. I'm from Inverness, and I didn't know that either!
Scotland's full of places like that. I once waited hours for a bus to Straven, but allthe buggas were going to Strathaven

That cafe has won lots of prizes, best chippie in 2009.

I remember coal-fired fryers, a rellie had one in Haddington until about 1960. Everything was fried in lard back then. The smell would make you boke when it was warming up; when she boked it was time to change the fat.

ZOOKER
14th Aug 2011, 23:32
Wetherby Whaler (in Wetherby), is a belter. If you're on the A1, well worth a short detour.
The Old Keswickian is also worth a shot and there is a good one on the road down to the sea front at Starr Gate. Pass EGNH on the left, over the railway bridge, and it's on the right, just before the lights. Bispham Kitchen is reasonable too. Bramhall Supper Bar is good. Mr. chips in Knutsford O.K, but expensive.
In Loughborough, many years ago, ' Brindley's', on the A6, was re-named 'The 300 Spartans'. Unfortunately the '3' looked like a 'Z' and it became famously known as 'The Zoo Spartans. Still going, but the Zed now looks like a Zee, not a 3.
How about a thread on silly chip-shop names?
And anotherthing, why do the fish on chip-shop carrier-bags always look happy?
And WHY are these bloody things called 'carrier bags'?

chiglet
14th Aug 2011, 23:38
Chips 3d Fish Scraps 1d ....which were a Very good buy, 'cos it was ALL fresh fish, and the bits and the batter would be collected and put in the "Scrap Bin....Not there anymore.....more's the pity. btw In Rochdale, they do F,C and Butter beans.....:yuk:

bugg smasher
14th Aug 2011, 23:59
Crackling crispy beer battered halibut chunks in Alaska, in season, fresh caught that day, served with a pint or three of o' Alaskan Amber ale, closest I can come to it in my life. Chips, well, the ones deep fried in goose grease in certain locales of the Parisian nether-burbs, they were a taste to behold. Clog yer beating heart still in a New York second, but well worth it.

exeng
15th Aug 2011, 01:20
Blimey-somebody admits to being in Crawley.

Regards
Exeng

Keef
15th Aug 2011, 09:55
There's a chish & fip shop on the main drag in Aldeburgh that has queues round the block on a Friday evening. Having joined said queue a few times, I understand why.

When we used the cottage up in rural Norfolk, Bill the Fryer (not Friar, you at the back) came round on Wednesdays in his mobile device and produced excellent haddock and chips. Not to be missed!

The good stuff is out there: it just needs searching out (like the good ale) - or a bit of local knowledge. I find asking an able churchwarden usually reveals the information one needs.

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 10:04
Everybody used to eat fish on a Friday in my sproghood,even heathens like we Drapers.

Keef
15th Aug 2011, 10:14
Nah, we lot are good Anglicans, Tony. Eat fish when we feel like it.

Friday was usually rabbit stew. Inspired me to get up on Saturday morning and go and shoot some more.

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 10:32
I didn't mean fish and chip shop fishy,me Mum used to cook fish on a Friday,there were about six what were called Wet Fish Shops in this area then not a single one now,and Herring both soused and fresh used to be sold around the streets from horse and carts.
Have to admit one prefered fish shop fish to me Mums.

Tankertrashnav
15th Aug 2011, 10:46

Friday was usually rabbit stew. Inspired me to get up on Saturday morning and go and shoot some more.

Possibly so Keef, but as one of the RC minority in this country I've often noticed how many non-Catholic families still held to the tradition of fish on Fridays. My wife is C of E and for her Friday was always fish day.

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 10:53
Yer, didn't matter whether you were a left footer prody or whatever,fishy on a Friday,even the School dinners adhered to this tradition as far as I remember,though one only had to partake of school dinners on the odd occasion as one lived about twenty yards from the school gates so one tended to dine at home.

angels
15th Aug 2011, 12:03
In primary school my mate's dad ran a chippy in Coulsdon, Surrey. We all used to envy him hugely.

A few years later I met him and he had turned into a huge blob due to his rather monotonous diet.....:rolleyes:

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 12:11
I remember a bloke being interviewed on the telly once who had lived on fish n chip all his life that's all he would eat, he would even buy two lots on a Saturday so he would have a Sunday dinner,I think his problem was his local chippy was closing down and he was in a bit of a quandry.
Expensive diet these days.
:uhoh:

matkat
15th Aug 2011, 12:53
TTN living about 20 miles from 'Ainster' I did indeed know that, the chippie is one of the best ever guaranteed.:D
TD I paid £5.20 for a fish supper in Dundee last night worth every pen:ok:ny.

MagnusP
15th Aug 2011, 12:58
Used to enjoy a whiting supper as a teenager in Shetland. It was 1d cheaper than haddock, too.

GGR
15th Aug 2011, 15:37
Fosters in Alderley Edge is a very good chippy, tad expensive but worth the extra IMHO

GGR

Lon More
15th Aug 2011, 15:45

Had a real staunch Orange Lodge member work for me once. He always ate fish on a Friday, the logic being, "If everybody does it there's less for the catholics" :ugh:

Left Coaster
15th Aug 2011, 16:01
Rollingthunder...
Your LUNCH pic wasn't in Steveston by any chance? We still drop into Trolls in HB on the way up the coast if the ferry is late (or we are early!) for old Joe's 2 piece and maybe a bowl of chowder...

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 16:22
There's a Harry Ramseys at the Metro Center,dunno what it is like never been in ,used to drive past the real one regularly when I tootled around Yorkshire on me service calls,never been in that one either.

GROUNDHOG
15th Aug 2011, 16:35
If you are ever down Falmouth way there is a choice pay a fortune for Rick Stein's (pretentious and I wasn't that impressed) or go to Mariners in nearby Penryn off the tourist trail where the line caught haddock comes straight of the boats from the quay 100 yards away. I have never been disappointed in 10 years, fish cooked to order and could not be fresher.

V2-OMG!
15th Aug 2011, 17:03
Even though there is something nice about the smell of the sea, hot chips with malt vinegar, I don't cram anything into my mouth anymore w/o scrutinizing calories, fat, and especially sodium. This one was a shocker!

Halibut and Chips, 1 serving, 394 g.

Calories 965
Fat 54 g
Sodium 802 mg
Carbohydrates 75 g
Cholesterol 62 mg

Hellman's Tartar Sauce, 30 g serving
Calories 70
Fat 7 g.
Sodium 310 mg

So, this F & C dinner would have 1,035 calories
1,112 mg of sodium
61 g of fat

That would be over half the daily recommended calories, sodium, and 3x the fat for an averge woman.

An alternative:
Grilled halibut steak with baked potato
Calories 178 fish/161 potato = 339 total
Fat 5 g
Sodium 78 mg
Carbs 0 fish/30 g potato

I like a bit of fresh lemon on the fish and lemon/pepper/dill on the potato. Tastes great - and no added fat/calories.

After you've eaten like this, a platter of fish and chips tastes like a big blob of grease.

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 17:50
Been stuffing meself with calories for sixty years V2,weighed meself on bathroom scales yesterday ,nine stones five pounds, same weight today as I was when I left school in 1959,actuallytwo pounds lighter.

4mastacker
15th Aug 2011, 18:09
Mr Delpippo's chippy on Leuchars Main Street had coal-fired friers. He later entered the 20th century and went gas-fired but his fish suppers never quite kept the same taste as the coal-flavoured product. The best fish & chips, in my humble opinion, were the offerings from Mister Chippy on Church Street in Whitby. After a worm-drowning day out at sea - one satisfied one's hunger with a good sized portion of cod and chips. Absobloodylutely delicious with melt-in-the-mouth batter on't the whale and a ton of spuds to go with - all for a very moderate fee. Keep meaning to take Mrs 4ma there to sample, but a three hour drive just for food? ...is not going to happen. However, if she wanted to do a spot of fishing, well that's another thing!!

V2-OMG!
15th Aug 2011, 19:57
Been stuffing meself with calories for sixty years V2,weighed meself on bathroom scales yesterday ,nine stones five pounds, same weight today as I was when I left school in 1959,actuallytwo pounds lighter.

Well Tony, since fish and chips seems to be the communion wafer of the UK, I anticipated some opposition. North Americans are bashed for their affinity for fast food on this site - but we will be the first to admit it is bad for us.

Congrats on keeping your weight down, but skinny people can also drop dead of heart attacks due to high-fat/sodium diets. I hope that won't be the case with you. If your cholesterol levels and blood pressure are normal, you must have an extraordinary metabolism....or are just lucky.

tony draper
15th Aug 2011, 20:11
Going by our body size metabolism heart rate ect when compared to the rest of mammal kind we are walking aound in bodies designed by evolution and nature to last forty years tops, most of us are well past our sell by date.
In my book If you are over forty you are stealing time from the grim reaper and putting one over on nature,so why worry,:E

Tankertrashnav
15th Aug 2011, 23:02
V2 - OMG - well no-one could argue with you on pure nutritional grounds. However you are dealing with deep-seated emotions here. No doubt your halibut/baked potato combination is a delicious meal, but put a picture of it on here and I guarantee it will NOT get the visceral reaction that Lon More got to his picture (post 7).

As you should well know, there is such a thing as soul food, and it is not confined to the Southern states of the USA. Fish and chips is soul food - grilled halibut and baked potato just isn't!

Rollingthunder
15th Aug 2011, 23:07
If cooked at the proper temp, there is little fat picked up
Mr. Pickwicks, here, a couple of miles from the sea.
Fresh daily
$6.99 - two pieces of cod and good British style thick chips
$7.99 - two pieces haddock and ditto chips.
Only good place around for a few miles.
Silly name.
Silly exchange rate - 1 British pound = 1.60750194 Canadian dollars

G-CPTN
15th Aug 2011, 23:58
Those prices are 'competitive' with current UK prices which are (from memory) about £5 for cod and chips locally.

Gulfstreamaviator
16th Aug 2011, 05:26
Thought that would stur the mush.

Chain here called London.

Fantastic quality: cod and hammour.

Chips to die for.

Mushy Peas, very good, but VERY expensive.

Business Class Return Ticket, excessive.

Glf

matkat
16th Aug 2011, 09:31
4MA, when was that? I arrived in Leuchars in 1981 but being from Broughty Ferry had been there many times when a boy, in 81 it was Freds chippie(as in Borelli that also owned the cafe) it is now a pizza/indian/chippie but not bad at all there is also a chinese next to the spar which has been open some time now.
DM.

Slasher
16th Aug 2011, 09:38
Oddly enough for a lower orders oink like me I always disliked eating fish n chips out of a newspaper....

Fish n chips just aint real fish n chips unless its eaten from
the newspaper it was rolled up in Drapes. Wouldn't have it
any other way.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzR35GQP0Y1OveqM2xCw2GyDD5S8KYmZbA1bqFBlv-NHNrKfEZXA

Rollingthunder
16th Aug 2011, 10:32
Pic was not Steveston, was true British Fish and Chips, newspaper optional.

But Steveston is very, very close to the docks!!!!

4mastacker
16th Aug 2011, 10:45
matkat,

Mid-70s. At the time, Fred just owned the cafe. I left Leuchars at the back end of 79, so Fred must have expanded his empire between me leaving and you arriving.

Coal-fired or gas-fired, a fish supper on the way back from the Commie (banned from Hendies thanks to Nancy) rounded off many an evening. :ok:

4ma

tony draper
16th Aug 2011, 11:16
Well that's it,one shall have to venture out in the rain and struggle my way to the chippy today nought else will satisfy the lust.

V2-OMG!
16th Aug 2011, 15:45
V2 - OMG - well no-one could argue with you on pure nutritional grounds. However you are dealing with deep-seated emotions here. No doubt your halibut/baked potato combination is a delicious meal, but put a picture of it on here and I guarantee it will NOT get the visceral reaction that Lon More got to his picture (post 7).

As you should well know, there is such a thing as soul food, and it is not confined to the Southern states of the USA. Fish and chips is soul food - grilled halibut and baked potato just isn't!

Tanker, Okay, okay. I'm not some kind of health nut, and do understand the food/emotional/soul food connection. I have read that the black slaves in the southern U.S. states had to eat the high-calorie, high-fat "soul food" to offset the calories expended in the fields. I am wondering about that because little was known about the calorie/exercise connnection. I think everything was fried because it was homegrown simple food and just tasted better.

I have bought frozen fish and chips from the supermarket but it's horrible. Eating out/take-out is the only way to go. Big chunks of crisp golden batter, fries with the skin still on, malt vinegar, a touch of tartar sauce while sitting on a log with someone nice and looking out at the sea -
it doesn't get more "soulful" than that. :ok:

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2011, 16:40
My daughter lives in Biggar - home of the Townhead Cafe - UK's 'best chippie 2008'.

Whenever I go there to stay, I try to suggest that we have a carry-oot (and sometimes we do), however, this last weekend the suggestion was turned down (in favour of delicious home-cooked ham pasta with vegetables and creme fraiche) on grounds of 'health' - as we had had 'burgers' for lunch whilst out at the vintage vehicle show.

matkat
16th Aug 2011, 17:55
4MA I have some bad news (well maybe not!) you will still be banned as Nancy is still alive must Scotlands oldest Woman, Her husband died many years ago.Fred owned half of Leuchars at one point but his daughter only has the cafe fred himself died ages ago. I only remember the deep fat fryers myself.

Krystal n chips
16th Aug 2011, 17:56
" I have bought frozen fish and chips from the supermarket but it's horrible "

V2, we know, trust me we know....:)...and indeed, if you ever try and buy fish n chips in the South of England.... and in London, you are likely to be served this version.....:E

There are also those on here who decry...culinary philistines they are..:suspect:..the embellishment of curry sauce on said dish....a standard Mancunian additive I may add...:ok:....although the curry merely serves to add to the already excellent standard served in the area....one may be biased here however....:p

If you ever get to Llandudno, the chippy by the side of the Great Orme tram station is "pretty good"...;)

gingernut
17th Aug 2011, 23:02
Hate to admit this,but have been to most establishments on the South West Coast, but nothing beats The Festival Way, Runcorn.

The chippie in the main street in Camelford is pretty good to.

For an Oriental twist, try King Wah chip's and gravy in Timperley.

TBirdFrank
18th Aug 2011, 01:31
Bispham Kitchen - an excellent chippy - right next to the tramway stop so you can watch balloons and refuel at the same time

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk231/45596/20110715004Sorted.jpg

Mind you - if its a chinky curry that floats your boat - Ming Wah (Colin's) on Bottom Mossley - the best chinese curry in Tameside bar none. I hate Colin though - his alias must be Dorian Grey or he has a picture in the attic. I wish I looked the same as I did when I started buying there in 1985!