PDA

View Full Version : NZHN - Runway extension or P**is extension

27/09
14th Aug 2011, 00:05
Hamilton Airport targets Asia | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/5434738/Hamilton-Airport-targets-Asia)

Why the rush to be low cost?

Why would Asians want to go to the Waikato?

Parallels with Stansted and Gold Coast? Really has Mr Doak checked the populations of the these areas and compared to the Waikato region?

A backup for NZAA? Doesn't he know that NZAA has the flash ILS standards allowing low viz ops meaning almost no need to divert?

The taxy ways will be a good idea though, even places like NZNS and NZPM have these.

slackie
14th Aug 2011, 03:28
"Build it and they will come" - Tui's Ad!!

Taxiways (full length parallel to THS RWY18) would be very useful and would increase RWY utilisation, rather than reducing it by increasing the length.:ugh:

Nose wheel first
14th Aug 2011, 03:31
I hope they put an ILS in too.... otherwise everyone will be going to Auckland anyway when the Waikato pea-souper hits and hangs around for half the day!

Water Wings
14th Aug 2011, 04:20
Chris Doak would be out of his league managing a 5 inch Goldfish bowl with one Goldfish! Great to see passenger tax/landing fees/ratepayers money is being put to such good use. F*^kwit!

(Bit strong worded maybe and I normally wouldn't use such language but in this case it's justified).

27/09
14th Aug 2011, 09:54
I hope they put an ILS in too....
Yep, I think more ratepayers money to be wasted here as well.

flyinkiwi
14th Aug 2011, 23:34
Why would Asians want to go to the Waikato?

To buy our dairy farms? :E

Oakape
15th Aug 2011, 00:31
I wouldn't be surprised if Emirates wasn't interested in having another 3000m runway available as an alternate, particularly so close to Auckland. They may even be willing to tosh some cash into the pot to get it done, now that consent has been obtained.

tartare
15th Aug 2011, 02:25
Only reason to come inbound direct that I can think of would be to ski Whakapapa - but that's still a two hour drive away.
And in summer - what else is there that would appeal to international tourists - Roto-vegas?
What a waste of money...

slackie
15th Aug 2011, 05:17
2 hour drive to Whakapapa... :mad: man your car is faster than mine!!!

ILS would be useless in HN (fog) unless someone sprung for the full monty Cat III, and that aint happening anytime soon!

27/09
15th Aug 2011, 10:30
ILS would be useless in HN (fog) unless someone sprung for the full monty Cat III, and that aint happening anytime soon!

You have a very good point there. In fact it's hard to recall times when NZHN goes below minimums except for fog. The number of times a Cat 1 ILS could be used in anger with any chance of success are very low.

However I'm sure that won't stop one being installed.