PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting my PPL at 16/17 years old?

Omlaaay
13th Aug 2011, 20:23
I've just got my first job and I was thinking about putting all my wages towards getting my PPL.

After seeing BA's FPP and that they literally want people who've never really flown never mind having a PPL so you don't have bad habits, would it be worth getting one now? I'm not even old enough for the FPP and I'd never in a million years get chosen but should I get one now or wait a few years? £5000-£8000 is a hell of a lot of money for anyone, never mind a 16 year old! :ugh:

After my A-Levels I really want to do my CPL/ATPL etc but I'm so undecided if I should just go for it and get it done, wait a few years like a sitting duck in the off chance that an airline job may come along and go from there, or if I should just not bother at all?
Thoughts? :confused:

Milton1995
13th Aug 2011, 20:57
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/454872-get-ppl-not-get-ppl.html

Here is good thread for you to read!

Being in your situation a few months back i think i can offer you my experience and how i would change things :ok:.

The biggest mistake I've made so far is the frequency of lessons. Not being funded by myself i bought a block of 10 hours. SO many people will tell you not to pay upfront, but with the security of a credit card i was able to confirm i could get the money back if the place went bust. So, having used 6 hours in 2 months, i realized that i was eating through my hours QUICK. With my parents agreeing 10 hours was as much they would pay for this year i really slowed down, and with the worry of not having hours took 3 months to fly again because i was so worried about using my hours! Really slowed down my progress, but now I'm back on the flying, with unfortunately only 2 hours left to play in the circuit.:E

Moral of my story above is: Frequency is key, others may disagree, but i believe it to be the MOST important thing. There is no point in flying once a month because you'll make such slow progress! Save a large sum up and work out how often you can fly, with 2 maybe 3 weeks being the max!!

With regards to scholarships e.t.c as you say, the competition is huge, and yes, many people are going to be turned down! Don't let this sway your decision, in the end its whether YOU want the license, not BA.

If you want to do your CPL/ATPL straight after A levels by going modular it may be helpful to get your PPL ASAP. Remember after your PPL you need 150 hours to commence your CPL. So by doing it now you give yourself a better chance of completing it sooner.

With regards to making your decision whether to wait or go for it depends on many variables out of your control(The Market) Regardless of the BA scheme an airline job will not just pop up and you will have to go after it! Don't let airlines sway your decision on getting your PPL unless you're ABSOLUTELY set on going on an integrated course where you will have to do the 'foundation' training again.

Should you not bother at all? If you love flying, like i do I would have to tell you to go for it! Perhaps when it comes to it its not able to stump the cash to pay for your training to go commercial, so what? You can still fly! Unless you have a real passion i really wouldn't part with 6-7 thousand pounds. Just my two pennies.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Aug 2011, 21:19
It's about flying - if you want to fly, let yourself, and it'll do you no harm now or in the future.

Getting a JAR PPL is expensive - nothing wrong to aim at that, but you might get a lot more flying, and more fun, in either joining your local Air Cadet squadron, or joining the local gliding club under whatever cadet/junior scheme is avaiable to you.

There are other ways - microlights, NPPL, etc but my gut feeling is that gliding is the way to kick off at your age.

You can always debate these things, but on the whole I think that it's more likely that, if you get a future shot at a cadet scheme (which is far from guaranteed) showing early enthusiasm to do flying and learn about flying will carry much more weight than not having (maybe, but probably not) learned bad habits from an instructor who was doubtless competent and professional but just didn't happen to do things their way.

G

Bealzebub
13th Aug 2011, 21:23
After seeing BA's FPP and that they literally want people who've never really flown never mind having a PPL so you don't have bad habits,

No that isn't correct. The relevant quotation is:

Some flying or gliding experience would of course be beneficial, but is not essential.

They are looking for people with a high level of educational attainment, who can demonstrate a passion for flying as a pilot with British airways.

After my A-Levels I really want to do my CPL/ATPL etc but I'm so undecided if I should just go for it and get it done, wait a few years like a sitting duck in the off chance that an airline job may come along and go from there, or if I should just not bother at all?
Thoughts?

The relevant word is "passion"

The clues are to be found throughout the website section. British airways are a company that utilize specific "triggers" in their recruitment process. The first one is in the title at the top of the "about you" page. That title is:
Share your passion

AlexDeltaCharlie
14th Aug 2011, 18:27
Omlaaay,

Don't let the money dissuade you- I also have a part-time job and I chose to finance a PPL with it. Budgeting for around two lessons a month is readily achievable with some extra shifts here and there. Also, at 16/17 you're in a position to put all your wages towards a PPL and most likely won't be paying national insurance, so perhaps it's a good time to be investing in flying.

Interestingly, I feel that my job in a supermarket has also had several non-monetary benefits- it's also a good grounding in areas such as customer service, working with others and working to deadlines to mention a few. Skills that might prove useful in a future flying career.

I'm also finding that my PPL is a fantastic source of motivation for my A-level studies. Quite frankly I despise Further Maths in particular, but knowing that there's a flying lesson at the weekend or in the evening is a great reminder of why I'm studying so hard. Same with work, having to be in at 8:00 on New Year's Day is a lot easier when I can quantify my wages in terms of time in the air.

If you do decide to start your PPL, I suspect you won't regret it. It's a lot of fun to be flying an aeroplane solo while your mates are learning to drive! If you want to train for your ATPL in the modular fashion you'd need your PPL anyway and if you want to go integrated, I believe some FTOs will credit you for your past flying with a reduction in hours and hence cost at the foundation phase.

As a fellow wannabe I wish you the best of luck!

shorty79
15th Aug 2011, 16:45
Hi,

It's quite interesting, I've just spent the past few months visiting flight schools around the UK. With regards to Ab-initio integrated it seems that you will most likely be taken back to 'day one' with regards to training - pretty much regardless of past experience, e.g. ppl.

So, if it was a question of money, I don't think it's essential or required, however it might help to demonstrate your passion - that said I only have a few hours, nothing official and that didn't stop me from passing selection. I would have loved to heave learned in my teenage years, but it could be a very expensive hobby.

I would take the good advice given here - get your medical checked and take it from there.

Good luck.

Milton1995
15th Aug 2011, 18:08
Also, at 16/17 you're in a position to put all your wages towards a PPL and most likely won't be paying national insurance, so perhaps it's a good time to be investing in flying.

Have to disagree here? NI is payed at 16 and above! But agreed, its a good time to invest!

AlexDeltaCharlie
15th Aug 2011, 19:11
Correct, but the earnings from a part-time job is unlikely to get you above the lower earnings limit (which seems to be increasing for next year) and hence you probably won't end up paying it. Full time work would be another matter. My earnings are enough to afford a few hours per month in a Cirrus but not enough to be deemed tax deductible. Funny old world!

HPSC
15th Aug 2011, 19:50
This time last year I was in the same situation as you, I got a part time job which roughly covered the cost of one lesson per month. It Isnt great.. but its better than nothing :O

Dont worry about the frequency of lessons! I had one/Two lessons per month and I flew solo at about 11 hours.

I'd take the risk, do it, If you want to become a pilot your going to have to do it at some point :D weather your 16 or 25 years old:ok:

Good Luck!! :p