PDA

View Full Version : Child Free Hotels?

C130 Techie
12th Aug 2011, 20:26
Having just spent a long weekend at a hotel in the New Forest to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and being subjected to the tantrums and antics of other peoples badly behaved children, my question is:

Are there any child free hotels in the UK?

We have used the Warner Hotels chain which cater for over 18s only. They are very good but not for a a quiet break.

We don't dislike children but we have have brought up our own and would really like to find somewhere where we don't have to put up with other peoples badly behaved children banging their feet on the table at dinner or throwing a screaming tantrum because they can't have a cheese sandwich for breakfast.

As a compromise it would be nice if hotels enforced their stated policies of no children in the Bar/Lounge/Dining Room etc after 8/8.30/9 pm instead of just turning a blind eye.

Barcli
12th Aug 2011, 20:33
The Tides Reach Hotel, Salcombe, Devon - tide comes up to the front door, sand outside the door , isolated -( water tractor thing takes you there) dogs welcome - can be as wet and smellie as you like but no children allowed

gingernut
12th Aug 2011, 20:46
Yes...the gift of children:)

Having just unexpectedly become a foster carer, forgot how hard work it is.

Tantrums, nappies, early morning awakenings were a thing of the past, all of a sudden it's in my face 24 hours a day. Even work seems a welcome relief. I'm aching all over.

I was in despair this time 2 weeks ago, now I'm finding that there are some advantages of being surrounded by a "woddler."

Just bought a kite for the little fella', now working out how to place the camera on the framework. Can't wait till his first train set, may even let him have a go.

If you can't beat'em, join 'em.:)

DX Wombat
12th Aug 2011, 20:57
The difference Gingernut is that you are highly unlikely to allow any child in your care for any length of time to turn into a screaming, food-chucking, nasty, inconsiderate, spoiled brat. Most people do not like to have to put up with other children's bad behaviour when they have managed to teach theirs otherwise. However, if, as many children do, the child decides to have a major tantrum most people can cope if they see the parents trying to deal with it. There are some children with behaviour disorders who look completely normal and it is difficult for those not privy to this information to understand that it is not a lack of parental teaching. Down's Syndrome children have a degree of protection from such criticism by having readily recognisable features, others, such as those with Foetal Alcohol Syndrome often do not.

C130 Techie
12th Aug 2011, 21:01
Ginge

Good on you.

Looking forward to all those things (well some of them, particularly the train set bit) with the eventual arrival of grandchildren. Just for now though peace and quiet is the order of the day.

Barcli

Thanks. Looking at the website it looks great although it only restricts children under 8. Its a start though.

gingernut
12th Aug 2011, 21:28
Fair enoughsky DX.

Had a debate with my very switched on 15 year old the other day about the (nearby) riots.

I was glad to hear that she thought the major deciding factor as to whether to loot or not didn't focus on social class or upbringing, but more on an individual deciding what was right or wrong.

Which was great, Wish I could say that my children's insight was as a direct result of my input. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. (Hence the foster caring.)

C130, can I suggest a night in a tent at Coopers Farm, Edale. Top field for namby pamby families, bottom field for those who like to stay the death at The Nag's Head and enjoy open fires.

racedo
12th Aug 2011, 21:52
With the best will in the world even the best kids sometimes misbehave, however if child misbehaves at each and every meal throwing tantrums then that is another matter.

Being a parent of 2 littlies who are generally well behaved, sometime even when we we think they are poorly behaved others tell us "No there are well behaved" which is good to hear. In general I know out of home they are well behaved aside from wanting to fight with each other.

I deliberately refuse to spend money in Hotels or Pubs who have a no kids ever welcome policy.

I remember one evening in Tesco when littlie about 1 where a lady had a screaming toddler in a trolley and she refused to give in, hubby also there with another trollery with his twin brother staying away, the kid screamed the place down and after what seemed like an age he finally calmed down when he realised mum was not giving in. Mum was embarassed and probably ashamed but she stuck to her guns and won.

Done lots of jobs but being a parent is the hardest but most rewarding one.

Lon More
12th Aug 2011, 21:55
Condoms instead of "After Eights" on the pillow?

LH-OAB
12th Aug 2011, 22:11
The Scarlet Hotel, Mawgan Porth, Cornwall

gingernut
12th Aug 2011, 22:12
Well, there's the dilemma-after eight, they're not such a problem and if under eight then they are no problem after eight (pm).

ChrisVJ
12th Aug 2011, 22:44
Damn, I thought those mints were a bit chewy.

11Fan
13th Aug 2011, 01:16
Damn, I thought those mints were a bit chewy.

Try blowing a bubble.