PDA

View Full Version : Securing the cabin for a number 1 (or 2...)

timmcat
12th Aug 2011, 19:39
The last 12 months or so has, due to my work, seen my paxing increase from a couple of leisure trips a year to, IIRC, upwards of 20 flights since this time last year. Just this last month, I've noticed the following on three occasions (all relatively short haul european flights..)

1) In the cruise, in smooth conditions, seat belt light comes on (nothing unusual in that, and yes, I know aircraft ahead / ATC can advise of some possible bumps and the crew are perfectly entitled to act on that information).

2) A couple of minutes after this, cockpit door opens and a crew member visits the toilet.

3) Crew member returns to cockpit.

4) Within a minute or so (and with no change in ride conditions all along), seat belt light extinguished.

Question for the pros... Is the belt light used as a matter of course to give the crew unimpeded access to the 'bathroom' - or was it just coincidence? Just wondered.

TSR2
12th Aug 2011, 23:05
Maybe something to do with aircraft security.

Ceannairceach
13th Aug 2011, 22:50
I've seen this on Ryanair lots of times. I suspect it's so the flight deck can be opened without passengers roaming around the cabin.

spannersatcx
14th Aug 2011, 07:32
As there are no dedicated toilets for crews on some airlines, then to ensure minimum time out of the seat! and the availability of a toilet then make everyone else sit down.

I've noticed BA do it slightly differently on their shuttles to ensure a quick pee.

Hotel Tango
14th Aug 2011, 09:54
It's time FD crews were supplied with a bucket so that they need not leave the FD. ;)

Seriously though, if one was a terrorist (one with a brain may I add) it wouldn't be difficult to prepare oneself for a quick launch as soon as the FD door opens when a crew member goes to the loo (bathroom for you American chappies). The locked FD door policy is seriously flawed with these visits to the can. Granted, in some types you have a galley up front which does provide extra security - but not on the top deck of the B747 for instance.

timmcat
14th Aug 2011, 19:30
Funnily enough, it was Ryanair on each occasion. I've friends who are crew (FD and cabin) but didn't want to ask them directly as I wondered if the practice (if indeed there was one) was more widespread.