PDA

View Full Version : midday just after breakfast, why?

rans6andrew
12th Aug 2011, 13:04
I was thinking about energy usage, in the domestic situation, and realised that a good portion of electricity consumption at this time of year goes into running the lights. They are on for a couple of hours every evening and yet there is plenty of daylight in the morning whilst most people are still abed.

Why is this? Why don't we adjust our lives so that the middle of the "day" we live is at noon? If we got up when it gets light and retire when it gets dark we might manage without electric lights during the summer months.

There might even be some health benefits to this "more natural" regime.

Just got to persuade the TV companies to put the 6 O'clock news on at 2pm and the 10 O'clock news on at 6pm, then shoot the evening programmes out between. Sorted.

Rans6.....

UniFoxOs
12th Aug 2011, 14:04
Just got to persuade the TV companies to put the 6 O'clock news on at 2pm and the 10 O'clock news on at 6pm, then shoot the evening programmes out between.

And pubs, restaurants, cinemas, bus and train operators, shops, offices, helpdesks.........

It has to be all or nothing.

corsair
12th Aug 2011, 14:10
Instant flaw in the plan, sunset and sunrise vary by the day. So you soon have to move everything around to match. You couldn't establish a routine, in bed at 8 o'clock one week, 8:15, 8:20 etc etc. Then you'd have to reset it all as Autumn comes in. Plus it would vary by the region, the further west and North you are the longer the day.

Businesses would be completely out of sync with contacts in countries further south. It works just fine for birds and nocturnal creatures. But we are neither. In any case I don't want to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning any more that I have to.

rans6andrew
12th Aug 2011, 14:59
there would be no need to keep changing, sunset and sunrise are approximately evenly distributed around local noon throughout the year, everywhere.

Rans6...

MagnusP
12th Aug 2011, 15:09
midday just after breakfast, why?

Because no real gentleman rises before midday, of course. Tsk.

Checkboard
12th Aug 2011, 16:13
Thus the reason for Summer time. :rolleyes:

OFSO
12th Aug 2011, 19:42
good portion of electricity consumption at this time of year goes into running the lights

I've got 10 x 1 watt reflector LEDs in all the formerly 40 watt halogen sockets, can hardly see the disc turn in the meter outside. Wife complains they are so bright she gets a migraine if she looks at them directly. Yes they did cost 10 each, but are completely cold when running so don't load the a/c up in summer.

Getting dark again in the mornings, isn't it ! Seems earlier each year......like a roller coaster we go past the shortest night / longest day and suddenly winter drawers on.

uffington sb
12th Aug 2011, 19:52
Mrs Uffers keeps her winter drawers on all year round.

Well someone had to say it!!!

rans6andrew
12th Aug 2011, 21:58
OFSO, is that 10 x 1 Watt LED in each socket previously occupied by a 40 Watt halogen bulb? or 10 x 1 Watt LED in sockets previously occupied by 10 x 40 Watt halogen bulbs?

I already have low energy bulbs where I can use them. They can't be used in our lounge as we have dimmer switches there, nor our patio lights as they are on a remote dimmer and our porch light is on a timer that does not work with low energy bulbs. Last evening I looked at LED light bulbs in our local DIY store and was a bit surprised to find 7 Watt LED bulbs were 17.99 each. The bulbs claim to be equivalent to 40 Watt incandescent so that is going to be 2.5 per 100 Watt of the lights we have, which each cost about 1 p per hour to run. The pay back time is going to be about 4000 hours.

LED bulbs are going to need to come down a lot before they will compete with the low energy compact flourescent lamps, especially as most of our examples were given to us by the various utility companies.

Rans6....

maliyahsdad2
12th Aug 2011, 22:08
10:10 Lighter Later: Can David Cameron end this daylight robbery? Let's get the clocks changed with Lighter Later (http://www.lighterlater.org/)

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 22:11
I bought a 48 LED security light,it lasted about two months,dead as a Haddock now,haven't done a post mortem on it yet because someone has borrowed me ladders,it were nowhere near as bright as a halogen jobby but claimed it only pulled 3 watts also claimed to be as bright as a 100 watt incandescent job which it weren't.
:uhoh:

Cremeegg
12th Aug 2011, 22:11
In five years time we will wonder why on earth we bothered with CFL's, how we put up with slow start up times and horrible colour rendition.

LED's are getting there fast. Two years ago went to a lighting exhibition - 100 odd stands just 2 not showing LED's - certainly showed me the way forward as an electrician.

We have to get used to selecting lamps by their output in lumens not by their energy consumption. Many LED's of 5 or 7W claim to produce the same as a 50W halogen dichroic lamp - few do.

For downlighters try Halers EvoLED - three LED's in one unit consumes 7.9W but as bright as a 50W halogen. I fit little else these days. Three years ago I was fitting 3W LED's at about 15; nowadays I can fit 7W or 9W for about the same money. Good LED suppliers offer a range of colour temperatures and a range of dimmers as well.

jimtherev
12th Aug 2011, 23:47
I probably should get out more, but I was impressed at our last gig by the stage lighting, which was mostly tri-colour leds. A good warm illumination when all were on, but then the mood could be subtly changed by the wee computer-laddie who was our rude mechanical - or the basses suddenly turned blood-red. (Must ask him why he did that.)

But yes, they were at least as good as the old Pattern-somethingorother I used to hire from Strand Electric.