PDA

View Full Version : BT Homehub2 wifi dropping

srobarts
12th Aug 2011, 09:14
About six weeks ago our wifi on our Homehub2 started dropping out several times a day and then would follow a frustrating couple of minutes before the connection was re-established. This would happen simultaneously on all our home's PCs.
I tried changing the channel and scanning for conflicting wifi networks but to no avail.
Yesterday I rang BT and after a long interrogation by the gentleman from India he established that the Homehub2 was faulty and they would send out a replacement Homehub3.
The odd thing is that since that phone call the wifi has not dropped out once.
Since he appeared to be able to see the logs remotely did he discover the problem and put it right or is it just a coincidence?
Assuming it continues to work without problem do I install the Homehub3 or keep the Homehub2 in place?
Has anyone else had a similar experience.
Cheers
SR

mixture
12th Aug 2011, 10:40
If you're being sent a new one, install the new one and stick the other one in a cupboard as a spare.

Blues&twos
13th Aug 2011, 20:16
We have a spare Homehub thanks to BT's amateur approach to troubleshooting. Had a similar situation a few months ago, although ours was a continuous lack of internet rather than frequent drop-outs. None of our routers (all different manufacturers) could get on the internet...despite this BT insisted on sending us a new one. The day it turned up the original magically started working before I'd even got the new one out of the box - there had been a problem at BT's end affecting a number of customers. As previously I hadn't had any problem at all with the original Homehub, I left that one in place.

They will send you a plastic bag in which to return your old router, but nothing actually telling you you have to return it, so don't, and you'll have a spare one!

srobarts
13th Aug 2011, 22:29
Thanks both. New hub has arrived and is installed. Old one has gone in the box of redundant hardware in case it is needed. Fortunately there is space there after turfing out a pair of 9.6k modems!
Cheers
SR

JAR
14th Aug 2011, 14:18
Ditch the free BT home hubs - they're rubbish, and buy one.

I had the same problem with internet dropping out - they sent a replacement which was no better so I bought a Netgear.

No probs since.

Evanelpus
14th Aug 2011, 15:07
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Called India and was given a load of bull, twice!

Sent a scathing email and someone called me from Ireland, full of apologies for the poor service and assured me everything would be fine........which it was. Don't ask me how.

I was told that BT was pulling it's customer support out of India. One of the reasons was the amount of complaints about the rubbish service they provided.

ex_matelot
14th Aug 2011, 17:43
Sounds like Indian bloke followed his script-his computer told him to send new homehub and in the meantime tier 2 realised your router config needed changing and did so.

I'm with SKy now but with BT, I found the best way to get a customer service issue escalated to next level - (English person on phone with ability to tweak) was to baffle them with science - cite throughput speeds, attenuation levels and connection speeds. It throws them off track and they will pass you up the line.
If you don't do that they expect you to do the rigmarole of switching filters, plugging into master socket etc etc. Just cut to the chase, tell them you have done all that and throw some science at them.

Beware though: I'm convinced that BT have some sortof "sinbin" whereby your number is recognised and you will be either put on perpetual hold or disconnected when speaking to them.

I have crossed swords with the feckers several times.