PDA

View Full Version : B787

grounded27
11th Aug 2011, 19:44
I was curious understanding that ANA is set for the first delivery if anyone out there has recieved factory training and can share some info. The starter/generator is interesting for instance I would love to know what the KVA draw/requirement is? Must be one hell of an APU generator. I saw 2 GPU's hooked up (heard rumor 4 were required), did they up the GPU KVA requirement or they still just 90's. Ground power may be a logistical issue eg: APU out and diversion into an airport not equipped for weather.

Avionker
11th Aug 2011, 22:17
AERO - 787 No-Bleed Systems (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/qtr_4_07/article_02_4.html)

The power source for APU starting may be the airplane battery, a ground power source, or an engine-driven generator. The power source for engine starting may be the APU generators, engine-driven generators on the opposite side engine, or two forward 115 VAC ground power sources. The aft external power receptacles may be used for a faster start, if desired.

TURIN
11th Aug 2011, 22:35
Should be interesting when they arrive at ***. They struggle to supply two 90KVA power supplies.

Still, shouldn't worry. No call for it in the regions........:mad:

grounded27
11th Aug 2011, 23:01
or two forward 115 VAC ground power sources

Yeah, this is the big question. I have found more info on the internet. The engines have 2ea 250kva generators/starters to operate systems (packs (big draw)). It has been stated that 2 90kva GPU's will spin those engines up to max motor, I can smell the isulation melting off the chords just thinking about it.

Now with 1000 kva, can 180kva supplied by 2 generators operate the (was going to say "ACM's") but suppose EACM's at the gate??

easaman
12th Aug 2011, 12:07
Here is an info about the 787 and their systems

AERO - Building the Dream: Boeing 787 (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/qtr_4_07/article_01_1.html)

Cheers
easaman

Fargoo
12th Aug 2011, 14:09
From the MFEPD

ELECTRIC ENGINE START
Engine start for the 787 is no longer accomplished via pneumatic power. The 787 utilizes electrical engine start
and it is typically achieved via the APU Starter generator (ASG) which provides electrical power to the motor
controllers to operate the VFSGs as motors to start the main engines. A normal engine start can still be
accomplished with either a failed ASG or VFSG.
To achieve engine start during ground turn-around operations with the APU inoperative, it is recommended to
utilize a third additional 90 kVA, 115 Vac, 400 Hz source at the aft external power receptacle to preserve cabin
services during engine start and to shorten engine start time.

SINGLE SOURCE OPERATIONS
Minimal gate service can be accomplished with a single 90 kVA ground power source. Dependent upon the
number of galley carts being cooled; an externally conditioned air source may be required when ambient
temperature is above 80 degrees F.
DUAL SOURCE OPERATIONS
The dual-source configuration entails power applied to both of the forward co-located external power
receptacles (180 kVA maximum) or one forward and one aft receptacle (90 kVA maximum). This configuration
will allow for engine start with a temporary loss of up to 2 minutes for all functions with the exception of cabin
lighting.
THREE SOURCE OPERATIONS
Power applied to both of the forward co-located and to the aft external power receptacles is used for nonnormal
engine start (i.e. APU inoperative), non-routine maintenance activities and system troubleshooting.
This configuration will avoid cabin load shedding.
APU OPERATIVE
The APU operative scenario will allow for full cabin and cargo loading services during turn around including
normal engine start.

grounded27
12th Aug 2011, 15:43
THX, great info. I hope they did not place that 3rd receptical too far aft for obvious reasons.

lee van chief
12th Aug 2011, 16:23
It's going to catch fire. (again).