PDA

View Full Version : FB Phone Mugging

Flyt3est
10th Aug 2011, 14:33
Not sure if this has been posted before but to users of "The Social Network" if you access the site from your smart phone, the contents of your phone contacts list is being automatically imported into FB.

If you click on "account" followed by "edit friends" and then scroll to the far left and click on "contacts" you will see your list of contacts and their numbers displayed.

Surely this is a massive privacy breach from FB???

west lakes
10th Aug 2011, 14:42
Er well all I see is a list of those of my friends who have chosen to include a phone number on their info pages.
There are numbers on FB I do not have, and a huge amount of numbers on my phone that don't appear on FB.

Flyt3est
10th Aug 2011, 14:44
Maybe you are lucky, but my granny and my great auntie's numbers are on there, and they sure as hell don't use FB.

My whole contacts list has been imported, with names of recognized FB users in Blue and non FB in Black.

Superpilot
10th Aug 2011, 14:52
Not true for all smart phones and FB apps. Depends on the phone and depends on the person using the phone.

Yes, most people using technology don't explore the full set of options and go into the party with their pants down (so to speak)

west lakes
10th Aug 2011, 14:56
From the page we were directed to on FB

Facebook Phonebook displays contacts you have imported from your phone, as well as your Facebook friends.
If you would like to remove your mobile contacts from Facebook, you need to disable the feature on your mobile phone and visit this page (https://www.facebook.com/contact_importer/remove_uploads.php?r=/phonebook).

You did disable that feature when you decided to use the mobile phone, didn't you (I read the screen when it asked if I wanted to)

visibility3miles
10th Aug 2011, 14:58
Doesn't FaceBook get a great deal of your "private" information already unless you set the various options to be as strict as possible? Why should your choice of movie viewing change this?

Topic Review (Newest First)
10th Aug 2011 09:44
Flyt3est Maybe you are lucky, but my granny and my great auntie's numbers are on there, and they sure as hell don't use FB.

My whole contacts list has been imported
Again, did you tell them not to? If it's on your contact list on FaceBook, it's on their computer web servers whether or not your granny (or anyone else on your list) uses FaceBook.

Check the fine print: Their default privacy policy is that if you sign up, they can do everything in their power to know as much about you as possible, including info from other web sources (e.g. the phone book).

They make money from advertisers, so the more detailed and specific the info the better.

mixture
10th Aug 2011, 14:59

Mr Zuckerberg's opinion of FB user's privacy expectations when using the platform are well publicised.

Flyt3est
10th Aug 2011, 15:09
The privacy disclaimers must have slipped my attention.. I'll shut me gob!! lol

Buster Hyman
10th Aug 2011, 15:12
Checked my status the other day, and it said I needed more fibre....:eek:

Flyt3est
10th Aug 2011, 15:15
I'm still waiting for some jester to post a pic of an FB status which reads "Metropolitan Police are off to bust some heads" and the little thumbs up icon with "1 million people like this" underneath.. :ok:

BombayDuck
10th Aug 2011, 15:43
Buster - For your digestive system or your internet connection? :}

hellsbrink
10th Aug 2011, 17:14

Can't be a "privacy breach" when you agree to the terms of FB and also allow them to use any data you give them........

You did read the T&C's, didn't you? And you did check to see what was being sent when you used things like the FB phone thingie or "find friends on your contact list", didn't you..........

Buster Hyman
11th Aug 2011, 00:07
Buster - For your digestive system or your internet connection? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Boom, Boom!!! :ok: