PDA

View Full Version : Flyby incident at BHD tonite.

Bad Robot
9th Aug 2011, 22:08
BBC giving limited info on Flybe flight, EMA - BHD tonite.
Sydenham Bypass closed.
That does not normaly happen, anyone with further info ?

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
9th Aug 2011, 22:15
Sydenham Bypass closed.

Oh please God no! Not the Sydenham bypass.

Nothing on CNN, Sky, or Reuters yet?

Why has this been moved from Rumours & News ?

hval
9th Aug 2011, 22:26
Ambulances and fire appliances have been sent to the George Best Belfast City Airport after a plane developed a "technical fault" while in-flight.
The Flybe plane was travelling from East Midlands Airport, with 41 passengers and five crew on board, on Tuesday evening.
The plane landed safely just before 19:00 BST and none of the passengers or crew were hurt.
An airport spokesman said it was a merely a precautionary measure.
The Sydenham bypass, which runs alongside the airport, was closed for a time but when the plane landed safely the road was re-opened.
It is normal procedure for planes with technical faults to report them to the airport immediately and to have the emergency services on stand-by.

Bad Robot
9th Aug 2011, 22:39
Seems like my last post has been "Moderated."

I'll try again.......

The BBC are reporting an incident at BHD this evening;

Flybe flight EMA - BHD.

Does anyone have further details, as it is unusual to close Sydenham Bypass?

BBC News - Plane lands at Belfast City Airport after alert warning (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14466872)

hval
9th Aug 2011, 22:44
Ambulances and fire appliances have been sent to the George Best Belfast City Airport after a plane developed a "technical fault" while in-flight.
The Flybe plane was travelling from East Midlands Airport, with 41 passengers and five crew on board, on Tuesday evening.
The plane landed safely just before 19:00 BST and none of the passengers or crew were hurt.
An airport spokesman said it was a merely a precautionary measure.
The Sydenham bypass, which runs alongside the airport, was closed for a time but when the plane landed safely the road was re-opened.
It is normal procedure for planes with technical faults to report them to the airport immediately and to have the emergency services on stand-by.

Bad Robot
11th Aug 2011, 00:11
That's all very well but it is NOT normal to close the Bypass.........
which is why I was asking, as it would seem to be a lot more serious if the Bypass were closed.

Yes and why has this been moved to Spotters corner?????:ugh:

Standard Noise
18th Aug 2011, 16:37
It is normal to close the bypass from my experience with emergency's at BHD.
Really? And when did this idea come about? Never heard of such pony.

Haven't a clue
23rd Aug 2011, 10:29
We had an M2 D228 on a positioning flight inbound to IoM the other day which lost power on one engine. There was a full turnout of ambulance and off airport fire appliances. And they closed the road running past the airport.

I cannot find out why such a high level of response was needed, especially when we are constantly reassured by the pilot community that losing one engine is a non-event. I'm also puzzled at the addition of non airport fire appliances to the response. Either the on airport resource is adequate or it is not. And if it is not then something must be amiss.

But the OP referred to the closing of the road alongside BHD and the same thing happened here in IoM. It seems that the emergency planners (who have nothing to do but think up scenarios and solutions, and based on real life events, they are usually wrong - Katrina is a fine example of this) have decided that for any incident the road closure is essential.

I suspect (although no one has confirmed this) that it flows from the Trident accident in Staines alongside the M4 many years ago when the rubbernecking public jammed the access for the emergency services.

Standard Noise
25th Aug 2011, 13:59
Haven't a clue - maybe I should have said, I was a City ATCO up until 2003 and never once did I see the Sydenham-by-pass (one of the main arterial routes into Belfast) closed to accomodate the emergency services during an emergency.
It certainly has less than nothing to do with the Staines crash. BTW, that aircraft came down beside the A30 (near the Crooked Billet roundabout) which runs between the M4 and the Stanwell Moor Road and to my recollection, can't be seen from the M4. Yep, I used to live in Staines too!