PDA

View Full Version : The Really Really Boring & Totally Pointless Snippets of Information Thread MkXVIII

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

tony draper
9th Aug 2011, 21:52
oops! Sorry peeps just nipped next door for a while:\
I cant fit XIII on to the end of the title :{
Right managed tp fettle the title.:rolleyes:

Wholigan
9th Aug 2011, 21:53
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Wholigan/PPRuNe%20Thread%20Pics/OpenThread.jpg

west lakes
9th Aug 2011, 21:54
All is well with the world (well on here anyway)

Radar66
9th Aug 2011, 21:58
I'm bored of pink girly sheds.... can I decorate the new one in green please? :O

http://sabinaespinet.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/green-shed.jpg?w=468

LordGrumpy
9th Aug 2011, 21:59
A cool moderator called Wholi.
In footie a terrible goalie.
But he serenaded Radar.
On tuneful guitar.
Chorus: Badger Rat and Moley.

tony draper
9th Aug 2011, 22:02
One approves Madam Radar,bring back the old Gods I say,The Green Man.:E

G-CPTN
9th Aug 2011, 22:12
Shouldn't it be MK XVIII?

tony draper
9th Aug 2011, 22:17
Everyone is a critic.:\
Fettled the fettling
Thank you Mr G-C :E
Everything happened so fast and one is old and somewhat feeble minded now.:{

G-CPTN
9th Aug 2011, 22:31
XIII is so last year!

BombayDuck
9th Aug 2011, 22:40
As usual, I shall lie curled up - do ducks curl? do fish? - in the corner of this house till it's time to move to the next one!

:zzz:

MIDLGW
9th Aug 2011, 22:43
Reporting for duty, Captain Draper, Sir.

OI! Who moved my bunk??

Oh, it's over there by the window - best view on ship, as booked (costing extra :rolleyes:) :}

Put half a home-grown chili in my dinner. I'm glad I took the seeds and membrane out... :eek:

tony draper
9th Aug 2011, 22:43
If posts were miles we would be approaching the Moon now.:)

G-CPTN
9th Aug 2011, 22:45
I shall lie curled up - do ducks curl? do fish?Bombay Ducks are usually curled.

Leastways they are rarely straight, so curled is fine.

west lakes
9th Aug 2011, 22:46
Put half a home-grown chili in my dinner. I'm glad I took the seeds and membrane out

Is the term Dragon Breath relevant here?

(I'm told having a roll of loo paper in the fridge for the next day is a good idea)

MIDLGW
9th Aug 2011, 22:53
I can cope with it, Westie. Just dread to think what would've happened if I'd put the whole thing in and/or not removed the really hot bits :ooh:
it's the Bulgarian Carrot variety (or was it Hungarian?). It even smells spicy - good thing I've got another 10 nearly ready...

DX Wombat
9th Aug 2011, 23:00
On duty in the Sick Bay Mr D :ok: Bryn and Dilys are fast asleep in their beds in the Canine quarters along with all the other TRAB Pooches.
I wanted to enlighten Lon in the last thread but I was denied access to Proon for about 30mins so will have to do it here.
Lon, your statement that:- Poor old Mod's locked up in a lavatory... is incorrect. It is the Mods who do the locking in of innocent Prooners.
I should know, I was an innocent victim. :{

tony draper
9th Aug 2011, 23:01
Cadged one of Bro Drapers Bangers and Mash dinners today,one is forced to admit that Bro Draper does a better Bangers and Mash than oneself,
Nephew Draper had his two pips up for the first time today,let the scallywags beware.
:E

jimtherev
9th Aug 2011, 23:06
Returned a couple of hours ago having been treated by a young Malasian friend to a meal. "You must try these chillis Jim, they're special"
Wowwww.
Unfortunately the restaurant was 'dry' - a poor choice, especially as "You've never drunk Root Beer, Jim? You mustn't leave London without doing so"
UGGGGH. Justifies my refusal of said beverage for 70 years.

Then we were chucked out early, as the prop had heard a rumour that it was going to kick off in Burnt Oak a bit later, and she wanted to get the staff home safely. Fortunately the landlord of the Oirish pub next door hadn't heard/ didn't care about the rumour.

So it wasn't a totally wasted evening. And the company was great - especially the short interchanges between 3 Malasians and 5 Irishmen...
...and don't ask what variety of chilli, MID, I don't know. But they were hot.

Checkboard
9th Aug 2011, 23:18
If posts were miles we would be approaching the Moon now.:)

Can I push the "Land" button? :O

Watching a "Man Vs Food" episode I haven't seen before - a burger with grilled cheese sandwiches instead of burger buns! Genius! :ok:

BlueDiamond
9th Aug 2011, 23:37
Yayyy! Managed to get one in on the first page!

Nephew Draper had his two pips up for the first time today,let the scallywags beware.
Well done, that nephew!

Has anyone seen the stack of punnets? Someone said they'd tossed them all in the bilges but why for cod's hake would anyone do that? :E

lasernigel
9th Aug 2011, 23:39
Mmmmmm smells new around here again, someone used air fresh??

Daughter only stayed for 3 hrs before going up to Leuchars, pretty upset that she didn't stay, said she had something to do at 1600 and didn't want to be late. Not sure about the excuse but hey first time for 13yrs felt good.:ok:

Radar66
9th Aug 2011, 23:45
It is the Mods who do the locking in of innocent Prooners.
I should know, I was an innocent victim.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/anicholeduncan/Animated/Muttley.gif

;)

redsnail
10th Aug 2011, 00:28
In Moskba again. Thoughtful pax left a bottle of tres nice champagne on board.
It's now being processed by our livers. :E
Well, the bar was shut when we got here.

ThreadBaron
10th Aug 2011, 06:06
The punnets were with the cardboard boxes which, as always, were under the pool table. The Trrabista's Choos/etc were, well, everywhere. As someone let the plug out of the waterpark all the aforementioned will be subject to an insurance assessor's eye.

Does our insurance cover flooding? :confused:

Neither my Citation X, not Bluey's, for that matter, have been seen since Biggles departed, if I remember correctly. :*

IB4138
10th Aug 2011, 06:40
XVIII sounds like one of them "Carlos" cheap brandies that they sell to the tourists here. :eek:

Have to take Mrs IB into town this morning so she can buy things requested by her friends in the UK. That'll be me hot and kernackered by 13.00 and hopefully by then being revived in the local. :hmm:

ThreadBaron
10th Aug 2011, 06:47
and hopefully

Only 'hopefully'. Always believed that the one, 'shopping', predicated the other, 'reviving'! ;)

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 06:49
Bucketing down here,that St Swithin chap had the right of it.:(

lasernigel
10th Aug 2011, 06:54
Good morning all. Overcast here.
New leccy meter at long last this morning.

Blacksheep
10th Aug 2011, 06:55
The weathers been not too bad in Hertfordshire this year. Saint Alban must have had a word with Saint Swithin. ;)

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 07:00
Apparently they have Saint Swithins Head and one arm in Canterbury, or at least had until old Enery started dissolving stuff.
:uhoh:

beaufort1
10th Aug 2011, 07:09
Morning all, I've swung me hammock. :)

What's gone wrong, the sun has made another appearance, that's two days on the trot. This had better stop or folk will start to think it's Summer. Oh. :rolleyes:

MagnusP
10th Aug 2011, 07:21
All clean and fresh and shiny in here. I can smell paint; are we expecting Her Maj to look in? Page 2 and no boobs yet; it must be sleepytime dunnunda.

The weather gods have chosen to micturate on Edinbugger today. Excellent; that should clear some of the touristy lot from my path to the pub later.

green granite
10th Aug 2011, 07:21
Morning all, nice smell of new paint hereabouts. :ok:

mustpost
10th Aug 2011, 07:28
Mucho rain here too, nice new gaff, awoke slightly alarmed to realise that Grierson's gem 'Night Mail' is only 16 years older than me...:uhoh:

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 07:34
Documentary on tother week about those early documentary makers,apparently a lot of the Night Mail one was CGI.
:rolleyes:

One liked Night Mail and that other one Morning in the Streets

Getting a lift to the post office this morning,hopfully this weather will keep most of the Mk 4s indoors although tiz a scientific fact that the average Mk 4 has four umbrellas and are all trained in deploying same in a lethal manner.

MagnusP
10th Aug 2011, 08:00
mustpost:
Grierson's gem 'Night Mail' is only 16 years older than me...

I hope you're remembering that on JB, this type of statement could lead to unflattering responses being made . . . . :ok:

handsfree
10th Aug 2011, 08:14
'Ere, what happened ? I go to bed and when I get up everything has changed. I shall have to have a walk around to get my bearings and see where everything has been stored.

Did anyone fetch the spa ?

Off into Derby later. I shall be taking my swordstick and lynching rope along with a copy of the Riot Act. (“An act for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies, and for the more speedy and effectual punishing the rioters”). Not used it since the Great Cheese Riots of 1766 (Damn his charity, we'll have his cheese for nought).

lasernigel
10th Aug 2011, 08:39
Did anyone fetch the spa ?

The staff took care of that overnight so they are having a lie in. Will make sure they are known to all and sundry later.

Managed to take hound in rain gap.

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 09:03
The street of shops where resides the Post Office was almost devoid of humanity as was the Post Office itself,what is occuring,not a Mk 4 in sight.
Of course it doesn't help that the council under instruction of guvmint and promises of coin to replace same pulled down,about 200 perfectly good houses wherein dwelled said shops customer base,
Said it many times some people should be behind bars for these farces
:(

jimtherev
10th Aug 2011, 09:09
Trouble is, 'knock it down and build a slum' seems to be engraved on every so-called town planner's heart.

Blacksheep
10th Aug 2011, 09:38
The old slum in which one was brought up was renovated by my Dad and has since been renovated again. Today, Hallifield Street is full of BMWs and young professional first time buyers. :rolleyes:

According to documents in a shoe box from Dad's attic, he paid £140 for the place in 1950. He'd saved up the money while serving in the Royal Navy. The Evening Gazette contained an advertisement for a house in Hallifield Street at the princely sum of £85,000. One wonders if a modern Naval Rating could save up that much cold hard cash from his surplus discretionary income over a 12 year engagement?

goudie
10th Aug 2011, 09:42
Went for an MRI scan early this morning to check the state of me arteries.
Procedure carried out very proficiently by three nice ladies. They did warn me about the noise and put headphones on me but I've never heard noises like that before! Claustrophobics would not enjoy the experience either:eek:

We have a very good fishmonger in the local Wed. market so bought meself a Manx kipper for breakfast and some cockles and whelks for lunch. :ok:
Mrs G chose some (pricey) scollops. She's becoming rather high maintenance of late:(

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 09:48
There was more to it that just knock it down round here,the councilor's friends the property developers had run out of the small brown field sites to throw up their rubbish dwellings and rubbish they indeed were and are,nephew bought one, building standards are probably better in African shanty towns,anyway when it looked like that fat buffoon the deputy PM plans for a brave new world were going pear shaped(they lost the election) they still went ahead with the demolition with indecent hast,orders is orders.
Now we have some nice patches of grassed area where once stood streets of good solid housing
:suspect:

lasernigel
10th Aug 2011, 09:59
Claustrophobics would not enjoy the experience either

I had my knees done a few year ago so was not fully inside, must admit DID NOT like the experience.

Anyway here are the staff a couple of new faces.
Martine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/lasernigel/Martine.jpg

Christel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/lasernigel/Christel.jpg

Gretchen

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/lasernigel/Gretchen.png

and not forgetting the doorman Igor

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/lasernigel/viking-1.gif

Girls if you want male staff find them yourselves I don't know your tastes.:ok:

parabellum
10th Aug 2011, 10:08
Page 2 and no boobs yet; it must be sleepytime dunnunda.

Trouble is Magnus, we are not really naughty, just misunderstood!

MIDLGW
10th Aug 2011, 10:17
Ladies - get the pictures of the SPA staff up here asap please. I'm on silly gadget, so can't, sorry.

Partly sunny here. Been given the day off, surprisingly enough, so am going to do domestic boring things.

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 10:19
Gardening question re Hydrangers(sp?)couple of years back SIL bought one of these creatures and it bloomed forth in a splendid manner,however a family friend advocated the dead blooms be hacked orf come the onset of winter with the result that this year this sad vegetable has produced no blooms whatsoever.
One has noted in one' wandering that other folks seem to leave these blooms on the plant o just fade away in the manner nature intended and these seem to bloom every year.
Which is the correct thing to do?
:confused:

MagnusP
10th Aug 2011, 10:26
Never mind, para; Mr Nigel to the rescue. Number 3 is very cute.

Goudie: When MrsP (also high-maintenance) has an urge for scallops, I raid the freezer where I always have a bag of Costco frozen ones. They don't have the roes :{ but as MrsP doesn't like them, I can get away with it. :ok:

Small dishes, 3 flash-fried king scallops in each, sprinkle with chilli flakes (optional), cover with mornay sauce, grate fresh parmesan over and grill until golden brown. Serve with crusty bread and a green salad. Supper is served.

Wholigan
10th Aug 2011, 10:27
The Spa Staff, just for MIDLGW.

The Barman:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmsFlPPJ2Z_oGbRkukN3Z3Yu24m2dSLAGrZYxSHja vuioqkG8f

The Masseur:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2VUb85F5dPT_f50gDWQDgI4x1g-k2ytyD10cYyCAS57YjCXEDFw

The Fitness Trainer:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRv-VT-hChgH3T3VIRp7EaXt4JjcxH_0aQWDUsfFBSvrZfnLMyWGw

MagnusP
10th Aug 2011, 10:29
FSL: I deadhead our hydrangeas, but just the skeletal remains of the blooms as I think next year's flowers come on this year's new growth. I also give them a regular helping of ericaceous feed from spring to autumn.

Wholigan
10th Aug 2011, 10:31
Pruning (as opposed to PPRuNeing) hydrangeas:

Pruning Hydrangeas (http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/pruning.html)

Hydrangea pruning / Royal Horticultural Society (http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=516)

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 10:33
Do you mean you pull off the dead petals and leave the gowk behind? (the round knobbly thing at the end of the stalk the petals grow out of) (for those who do not speak Northern)
:)

MIDLGW
10th Aug 2011, 10:33
Hahahahaha - Wholigan admitting he's a laydee! And blind. Bless.

;)

Wholigan
10th Aug 2011, 10:36
Just being in touch with my feminine side MIDLGW. :E:eek:

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 10:45
Thanks chaps,one shall let SIL read that,tiz much to complicated for me.:ok:

MagnusP
10th Aug 2011, 10:46
FSL: Wholi's link says it best.

parabellum
10th Aug 2011, 10:47
What ever happened to Jetset Lady? The car blew up and that was the last anyone saw? Hopefully she has wheels again now?

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 10:50
SILs in charge of vegetation that cannot be eaten,we have loads of tomatos this year but one suspects not all will turn red,tiz a problem we experience every year,lack od sunshine in these far Northern climes one thinks,:(

cleo
10th Aug 2011, 10:52
Thanks for the offer of your personal staff Wholi but I think the ladies aboard will manage to retain our current hunks and maybe recruit some new boys :E
What say you ladies?;)

Radar66
10th Aug 2011, 11:00
I can't think about ANYTHING until I've 'ad me cuppa Cleo! :{

green granite
10th Aug 2011, 11:12
SILs in charge of vegetation that cannot be eaten,we have loads of tomatos this year but one suspects not all will turn red,tiz a problem we experience every year,lack od sunshine in these far Northern climes one thinks

Get some bamboo canes about 4' long, put 4 around each plant then wrap bubblepack round the canes, instant greenhouse.

larssnowpharter
10th Aug 2011, 11:18
Whassis? Mk XVIII?

Bloody heck. Must be the longest running thread ever on PPrune if not the world. Usual evening firework show and downpour here.

Lon More
10th Aug 2011, 11:18
Also just back from hospital, this time the Internist. Prodded, poked and several holes bored. Everything seems in order except for a shortage of vitamin 4 (sunlight) so yet another pill to swallow.

One for Mustpost and Stockie.
The Caledonia Bank

west lakes
10th Aug 2011, 11:30
What ever happened to Jetset Lady

She's still around and OK, just has communication difficulties at the moment

seacue
10th Aug 2011, 11:32
we have loads of tomatos this year but one suspects not all will turn red,tiz a problem we experience every year,lack od sunshine in these far Northern climes one thinks

I recall a couple who lived near Plymouth who identified a date as "the year when the tomatoes ripened on the vine". And Devon is about as far south as one can get in the UK.

MagnusP
10th Aug 2011, 11:32
MrsP off gallivanting up north with her mum for a few days, so I'm planning some Magnus time. The 15-DVD Python box set is likely to be involved as is the (one-for-FSL alert!) Jeff Beck tribute to Les Paul with Imelda May's band. Gardening was planned, but the ongoing Divine micturition will probably put paid to that.

lasernigel
10th Aug 2011, 11:45
we have loads of tomatos this year but one suspects not all will turn red

Or get a brown paper bag and put an apple in with the green toms.

parabellum
10th Aug 2011, 11:50
Or pick the green ones that won't ripen and make chutney!

lasernigel
10th Aug 2011, 11:58
Meter still not changed apparently 0800-1200 can mean up to 1300. He is on his way they say!!!:mad::mad:

Storminnorm
10th Aug 2011, 12:48
Good news today.
Daughter will make it home from hospital tomorrow.
She's had Lymes Disease, (or is it Limes disease.?)
And we thought she would be in hospital for the next
couple of weeks, but they've decided she can come home
and got to Liskeard hospital as a day patient twice a day.
That is a lot better for everyone.
At least it saves the journey into Plymouth.
Just hope everything turns out OK.

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 12:50
If the summer continues thusly I think water chestnuts might be a good crop to plant, what exactly are water chestnuts anyway? one likes em on Chinese nosh.

IB4138
10th Aug 2011, 12:54
Acquired a new phone this morning...HTC Widfire S.....That'll teach madam to drag me off shopping. :E

Well, had to find something to do whilst hanging around waiting for her. :)

G-CPTN
10th Aug 2011, 12:59
Lyme disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease)

DX Wombat
10th Aug 2011, 13:00
Here you are Norm, Lyme Disease (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/lymedisease.htm)
Now you know why walkers / hikers / ramblers wear their trousers tucked into the tops of their socks. ;)

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 13:01
Standing nose pressed up to the Gunshop window gives them pause as well Mr IB

lasernigel
10th Aug 2011, 13:03
Two more phone calls to N Power. Given the following excuses (you're not going to believe!)

" He's been called out on emergency jobs, it could be because of the riots(topical excuse), it could be because a house is in danger of immenently in danger of burning down, or lastly my favourite, a poor old dear could be without electricity and would die of the cold!!

IB4138
10th Aug 2011, 13:05
Should I download "Rubber Bullets" as a ring tone ?....or would it be deemed in bad taste in the present climate?

Storminnorm
10th Aug 2011, 13:07
Thanks DX. It's a Bl**dy awful thing to get, and a Bu**er to
get rid of.
She was bitten on the leg by some evil bug whilst horse-riding.
Didn't think anything of it at the time.
She now knows better.

landy01
10th Aug 2011, 13:10
SE Queensland here and lurking:ok:

Lon More
10th Aug 2011, 13:15
"Another one bites the dust" might be better IB

it's even got lots of bass and drums

Lon More
10th Aug 2011, 13:22
Listeria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listeria_monocytogenes) can be a danger in the countryside too.. I'm not sure about the soft cheese bit, although i do know it was responsible for many miscarriages amongst vets' wives. Lost my youngest to it and we hadn't been anywhere near soft cheese although we had been amongst sheep (Bit difficult not to when you stay with a shepherd}

tony draper
10th Aug 2011, 13:27
The Podlonians are playing the Welsh at footy today,leastwise I think it's today,one shall watch if it is on one of the free channels,one shall of course be rooting for Podlonia as one seems to know more Pods than Taffs.

lexxity
10th Aug 2011, 14:00
Late on parade. Looks nice. Leo has been on a "playdate" with his friend who is a girl. We're not allowed to say girlfriend. :E I ran off to buy the baby a winter coat, decided not to bother with a lighter one, would appear to be no point as we're evidently going straight into autumn. Chatting to the various shopkeepers the feeling is that they would all string the little darlings up by their fingernails. :ok:

Ricardo

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk_SYSjMWYcIKJ1WqCAJM7idAjN2McXExp89ZY-ZSlb_XP4fbW5A

The Pirate. He fancied being on a ship again. :E

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPxwECXsmmgqCix8wpvICjzIWoER1OlIHHC9sgMsY-AOI0PoES

lasernigel
10th Aug 2011, 15:24
Still persisting down. For a change believe it or not we both fancy a kebab.
Tomorrow after trip to sleep clinic(not going well btw) am going to try to source some quinoa and make a kind of tabboulleh with it.

Friday after dropping off hound for good trim am up to Foulridge, just can't find a decent butchers as good as David is. Will have a small stock up on pork mince, beef mince, lamb and steaks.:ok:

DX Wombat
10th Aug 2011, 15:29
am going to try to source some quinoaSons of Morris is your friend Nigel :ok:

MIDLGW
10th Aug 2011, 15:29
Nigel, T esco does quinoa. You just have to look really hard to find it (near the couscous).

Well done on the recruitment for the Spa, Lexxity :ok: But where's Gerard?? He promised :{

DX Wombat
10th Aug 2011, 15:40
Didn't we have a couple of pool attendants at one time? Antonio and Wotsisname?
Radz - at least my removal of your downstairs bog door got the renovations of said bog started. :E
Yes, I know it was rather sooner than you had anticipated but never mind, it provided an excuse for you to use your powers of persuasion.
A few recipes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/quinoa) for you Nigel.

vulcanised
10th Aug 2011, 16:59
my removal of your downstairs bog door

Curried beans?

DX Wombat
10th Aug 2011, 17:33
No, screwdriver and hammer to remove the pins from the hinges. :)

DX Wombat
10th Aug 2011, 17:52
Eight children and three adults have been rescued from caves at Ingleton. They were trapped when water levels rose rapidly. Good to know all are safe and well but questions will probably be asked about the advisability of undertaking this venture when very heavy rain was forecast for the area. The forecast was accurate and the caves (http://www.visitingleton.co.uk/CAVING.html) are notorious for rapid flooding.
For those unfamiliar with the area, Ingleton is a popular potholing location. The whole area is situated on limestone which is leached away to form underground caves and passages of varying size. Potholing is not my idea of fun.

IB4138
10th Aug 2011, 18:17
MIDLGW

Problem is some of T. Esco's lines are locally sourced or only available on a regional basis.

I can buy some lines when I visit friends in W Sussex, but ask for the same product (even own brand) in branches in Manchester/NW England and the staff are puzzled/never heard of them.

Checkboard
10th Aug 2011, 18:51
There's no problem getting quinoa in Luton Tescos (or just north of it at any rate) :ok:

redsnail
10th Aug 2011, 20:24
Not called today either. Another day of standby coming up. New captain though.

:ok:

lexxity
10th Aug 2011, 20:40
Saw the story about the trapped youngsters earlier on. Made me feel very sick, claustrophobia. ewwwww.

Lon saw your earlier post on. must have been a hard time for you. {{hug}}

BlueDiamond
10th Aug 2011, 23:29
Antonio and Wotsisname?
Antonio and Ben, it was. Can't seem to find either of them but Ricardo and the pirate make perfect substitutes. When the others eventually turn up we'll have a spa attendant, a drinks waiter, a masseur and a butler.

Can we manage with just the four?

gupta
11th Aug 2011, 03:49
Requesting permission to come aboard
Sorry if I'm late

IB4138
11th Aug 2011, 06:14
The humidity seems to have vanished this morning...lovely feel to the day. :)

handsfree
11th Aug 2011, 06:18
Greeting of the morn to all. Watery sunshine just about making it through a ragged sky. Cycling home from the watering hole last night was reminiscent of a November evening apart from the temperature. Howling wind and bucketing rain.

Thankfully I can report from yesterday's foray into Derby that there were no signs of the madness that has affected so many areas of England.

First great decision of the day to be made - what to have for breakfast.

1942 Barnes Wallis patented his 'bouncing bomb', used successfully to destroy German dams in the 2nd World War.

I presume that is why Germany never made a bouncing bomb. It would have infringed Mr Wallis's patent. :rolleyes:

sitigeltfel
11th Aug 2011, 07:57
Hedge trimming this day. Hopefully will finish with the same number of digits as started with.

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 08:00
Woke up at usual time to the sound of pounding rain so turned over and went back to sleep for another hour.
When will it all end one asks oneself.

lasernigel
11th Aug 2011, 08:06
Good moning all. Still raining!!

We have the 3 girls as well Bluey, should be plenty!:E

Like Ingelton caves went many times as a kid. Guy I used to work with a long time ago at Westmorland hosp in Kendal was on the rescue team.

Lon More
11th Aug 2011, 08:17
Strangely sunny here today. Doc told me yesterday that I've got a vitamin D deficiency, have asked him to prescribe sunshine as butter etc. and my digestive system don't agree.

The English riots thread seems to have been taken over by Murricans saying every Brit should have a gun in house.
Trouble is the little scrotes would escalate to this.
http://www.keweenawnow.com/news/somalia_07_02/images/technical_weap_rm.jpg
Eventually leading to this
http://aniketpangarkar.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/nuclear-explosion.jpg

I'm not sure which side would get there first.

Daft thing is I pasted a joke from the Friday Joke thread in about gun use in the States and some of them have taken it seriously.

IB4138
11th Aug 2011, 08:28
Have returned from supplies run with things not normally allowed, but Mrs IB is orf to her mudders on Sunday....so I'm home alone with the dogs for a week and can eat wot I wants. :)

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 08:54
Just scuttled down to the shop during a lull, returned with desperately needed milk but forgot desperatly needed packet of razors so one shall just have to sit here unshaven,buggad if one is going out again until such time as the sun appears.

Lon More
11th Aug 2011, 09:06
That could be a very long time FSL
http://images.stanzapub.com/readers/socyberty/2007/09/17/60004_0.jpg

redsnail
11th Aug 2011, 09:15
Still in Moscow. Hopefully will fly out tomorrow. ;):)

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 09:20
One would not mind one of they Russian Army fur bonnets for keeping me noggin warm during the winter Captain Reddo.

goudie
11th Aug 2011, 09:53
AA man has arrived to fit new windscreen. Had a small chip that cracked, when he tried to repair it. Gonna cost me 65 quid! Not bad for a shiney new screen. The Ins co., I'm ditching at the end of the month for trying to double my premium, will be paying the balance.

When were grammatical symbols ie ! ? '' . etc. first used, and who invented them?

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 10:15
Here yer go.:)
Question mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_mark)

beaufort1
11th Aug 2011, 10:17
There's a novelty, managed to walk the hounds in the dry got home and then it started raining. :hmm:

goudie
11th Aug 2011, 10:17
Thank you Mr D. I forgot about Wiki.

Groundgripper
11th Aug 2011, 10:23
Punctuation itself seems to have started in the 9th Century BC

Punctuation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation)

followed by the Greeks and Romans, but really took off with the distribution of the bible and was standardised following the introduction of the printing press.:8

GG

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 10:25
Likewise just had a very short walk in me park.,SWH entered did what was required of him on the grass just inside the gate put about and headed home at a high rate of knots,

Avtrician
11th Aug 2011, 10:37
Not Happy, how is one supposed to land the Tardis properly if the pad has been relocated. Must install the auto land beacon.....

Lon More
11th Aug 2011, 10:43
and why are there only woofters staffing the spa? Whatever happened to the maidens, buxom or otherwise?

green granite
11th Aug 2011, 10:44
Not Happy, how is one supposed to land the Tardis properly if the pad has been relocated. Must install the auto land beacon....

Not been lending it to Bluey to go shopping lately have you Avi?

MIDLGW
11th Aug 2011, 11:08
Afternoon, all.

Drizzling wet stuff here. Just as well I'm committing aviation shortly :rolleyes:

Proud moment a wee while ago: I figured out how to scan summat onto the computer AND then attach the scanned items into an email. How technically abled am I? :}

I want Gerard to do my massage at the SPA tomorrow evening. Someone tell him to get a move on please.

I've done enough technical things today, so here's a link, as I CBA to figure out how to post a picture directly:

Gerard Butler Photo Gallery : theBERRY (http://theberry.com/2010/03/17/afternoon-eye-candy-gerard-butler-20-photos/)

Avtrician
11th Aug 2011, 11:13
Not been lending it to Bluey to go shopping lately have you Avi?It could have , it gets hard to tell. there is a meter, but the time n space thing buggers up the readings

lasernigel
11th Aug 2011, 11:24
Back from sleep clinc, different technician, one who cared for a start. Apparently I had not been fitting the nose pieces properly, prolly because I wasn't shown last time. I thought they had to go up the nostril not just sit on the edge of yer snout!! No wonder it was painful!!

Still raining here on and off showers with torrential downpours in between.

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 11:39
Had a old workmate who was a Hard Hat Diver in his younger days,he said the first time he saw a aqualung he begged for a try but after very short while he had to resuface because of the pain in his lips, when he reported this to the aqua lung bloke he was told that 'yer supposed to grip the mouthpiece in your teeth not your lips'

west lakes
11th Aug 2011, 11:51
I figured out how to scan summat onto the computer AND then attach the scanned items into an email. How technically abled am I? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

:D:D:D

as I CBA to figure out how to post a picture directly

With your wonderful lasptop, it could get messy! (but it is possible)

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 11:56
Ha! I know how to attache video clips to my emails,so there.:rolleyes:

west lakes
11th Aug 2011, 12:49
A fun day in the office, we are having a "mop up" of all our computer problems following us being migrated to the new system.
We are seeing the face of an Indian call centre with 8 guys from our service provider sorting the problems!

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 13:52
Got some more Strawberries,one is into Strawberries at the mo,one needs must seek out some double cream at corner shop and tiz still raining,the old addage 'with pleasure must come some pain' holds true in this double cream situation.

vulcanised
11th Aug 2011, 14:30
Must be lots of poor folk round my way.

Came out of the supermarket and had to walk past around 15 cars to get to mine. Glancing at them as I passed, I noticed that my 11 year old banger was the newest of the lot!

IB4138
11th Aug 2011, 15:08
We are seeing the face of an Indian call centre with 8 guys from our service provider sorting the problems

Curry for lunch then was it, westie?........are your Company/service provider serious, using a call centre in that sub continent? It will only end in tears for users and management. :=

Got some more Strawberries

Likewise Mr D. I does enjoy strawberries, but just as they comes, with the green heads removed. They is very sweet at the moment. :)

Just awoken from a lovely afternoon siesta after a few pints down the local and wondered for some reason where Ms. picker is at the mo?

Is she on holliers or in the the stocks the FSL mentioned on our previous vessel, as punishment for the more than dodgy dealings by traders on the stock exchange (having been tarred with the same brush), resulting in losses for good and honest people's pots, in the past couple of weeks? :ooh:

EDDNHopper
11th Aug 2011, 16:10
Hm, away for a few days and a new thread already!

You can count me in as huggist again, Mme Diamond!

No. 2 daughter on her way to the U.S. until Christmas, passing through Amsterdam. First you spend 20+ years to teach them to fly the nest, and when they do at last there's lots of sobbing and lamenting. :{:{ Proud and very sad at the same time, one is going to need a strong drink or two tonight...

west lakes
11th Aug 2011, 17:32
Curry for lunch then was it, westie?.......

By co-incidence it was!

.are your Company/service provider serious, using a call centre in that sub continent? It will only end in tears for users and management. :=

During normal working hours they are based at Warrington near our HQ, we only have to deal with India out of hours!

jetset lady
11th Aug 2011, 18:15
Hello? Is this the new vessel? Sorry I missed the move. Was busy polishing the bottom of the old vessel to aid smooth passage. I have to say, this one has a lovely clean bottom.

Apologies for my prolonged absence from the cabin. A minor disagreement on how much my internet connection is worth plus a fair old dose of stubborness has left me relying on the phone of the letter I. It's ok for basic social media sites but pretty rubbish for everything else. By the time I've managed to type anything out and the phone has read it, decided it is not worthy of publication and dispatched my carefully thought out words of wisdom to the electronical black hole, I've usually forgotten what I was trying to say in the first place. :{

I do have wheels again now, thanks Parabellum. In fact 12 wheels, if you count the roller blades I've dragged back out of the cupboard. It's been an uphill struggle but thanks to incredible support and help from some amazing friends, many of whom reside in these hallowed halls, I'm getting there.

Hope all who sail this good ship are well! I'm off back to the deep to keep our pristine new bottom nice and shiny and smooth......

green granite
11th Aug 2011, 18:38
Welcome back JSL.

redsnail
11th Aug 2011, 19:48
WB JSL :ok:

Leaving Moscow tomorrow. Woo hoo!
Had my fill of sushi etc. For some reasons the Russians love jap tucker.
Near the hotel there 2 places that do Italian and Jap under the same roof. Stops the family arguments I suppose. Either way, love it :ok:

lasernigel
11th Aug 2011, 19:56
I'm off back to the deep to keep our pristine new bottom nice and shiny and smooth...

Thought your's was already Jetsy:E:ok:

Just got new training form for signing after reading new QP methods. On Acrobat 9 no probs could insert a bitmap image of my signature. Acrobat X has no such feature. They have totally screwed it up.:ugh:

Had spicy turkey steaks with the quinoa adapted into a kind of taboulleh very nice texture.:ok:

mustpost
11th Aug 2011, 19:59
Mucho best wishes JSL, there are indeed some remarkable and supportive people on this ship :ok:

handsfree
11th Aug 2011, 21:04
Hey ho, another funeral to attend. Father of the local watering hole's landlady. Nice bloke who had spent his working life in the merchant navy as an Engineer. Always enjoyed my Sunday lunchtime chats with him about places that I'd only ever read about in books.
Huge depth of knowledge that I really enjoyed being allowed to share in.
The conveyor belt moves on ..............

Madam is out with the ladies, so I shall sneak in a salad sandwich on wholemeal bread washed down with lashings of organic water. :E

Lon More
11th Aug 2011, 21:33
welcome back JSL

vulcanised
11th Aug 2011, 21:43
I'm puzzling over a building style seen on TV.

The mortar was standing out a good quarter inch from the brickwork. It hadn't just squidged out in places, it was uniform throughout on every wall and intended that way.

Why? My immediate thought was that it would collect a lot of water which would remain.

tony draper
11th Aug 2011, 21:57
Hmmm, tiz a puzzle,mayhap the bricks have shrunk,seriously I have feeling I have seen sumat similar somewhere but I cant remember where or when now.
Welcome back JSL:ok:

G-CPTN
11th Aug 2011, 23:53
Yes, welcome back, indeed, JSL - your presence has been missed.

Did the wayward cat return?

That style of pointing is intentional, FSL - though the logic evades me, I confess.

http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/images/diy/saxon01.jpg http://www.brickwork.org.uk/images/blockwork.jpg

crippen
12th Aug 2011, 01:01
^

Pointing like this take the water off the face of the (usually porous ) brick as it runs down the wall.

goudie
12th Aug 2011, 07:03
Grey start to the day. Probably go for a long walk later.

Nice to have JSL back with us:ok:

Blacksheep
12th Aug 2011, 07:10
When my Dad showed me how to do pointing, it was with the top edge inside the brick face and the bottom edge standing proud. Water would then run off the pointing and drip clear of the brickwork. (If wet brickwork freezes in winter, the outer face crumbles and falls off when it dries out). He learned this from our next-door neighbour Les, who was a bricklayer of some reputel: a true craftsman was Les.

Lon More
12th Aug 2011, 07:46
When we built this house the builder did samples of several styles for us to choose from. Here are some common ones

.....................................http://www.pavingexpert.com/images/features/wall07.gif

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 07:47
Grayness and rain,what more can one add,only pointing one ever partook in was helping me Dad,recall starting off full of enthusiasm but rather like the painting of Tom's fence how very quickly one discovered how boing a passtime pointing is.

lasernigel
12th Aug 2011, 07:48
Good morning all. Just got caught in a downpour on walking hound. She s off for a bath and haircut later.

Found out last night that I am only tied to this company for a year which is in 5 days time. Original company looking for engineers. Know that with the new product release soon if I went back would be going around Europe/ME like the proverbial blue arsed fly. So decision is to stay sit around and be bored but still get paid, or go back and work like a dog but not be bored, at my age not sure??

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Aug 2011, 08:03
New quarters? Right.... I'll just dump my box of spiders under the mess table and clock in.

Got a small 100 litre brew of ginger beer grumbling away in a corner for its first public appearance at the brewery. Looking at the purchase of a defunct tequila fettling apparatus which has hardly been used, for further large scale production. We'll split it all up and use the brewing bit for ginger beer while keeping the still for diabolical experimentation with mampoer, witblits and poteen.

Lon More
12th Aug 2011, 08:23
Someone has too much time on their hands

beaufort1
12th Aug 2011, 09:16
Morning all, got soaked in this persistent drizzle, I couldn't see the sea from the cliff tops this morning. :bored:

Mark Knoppfler's birthday today. They are dedicating this morning's programme to him on the local BBC station. :ok:

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 09:18
I no longer have a wireless set.:uhoh:
U0oPzz9ra8s

beaufort1
12th Aug 2011, 09:25
Listen online Capt.Drapes. Just google the radio station you want to listen to, then click on the 'listen live' option. :ok:

MagnusP
12th Aug 2011, 09:26
Lon More: your splendid diagram is missing a further example of pointing - the one I employ - called the melted ice-cream. :(

Lon More
12th Aug 2011, 10:05
Falcon Hypersonic Test Vehicle 2 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14497641) lost in space

Mr. D. wrote I no longer have a wireless set
You could try one of these new-fangled portables.

http://aviationhumor.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/aircraft-detection-before-radar-4.jpg

BlueDiamond
12th Aug 2011, 10:11
... I'll just dump my box of spiders under the mess table and clock in.
Ah ... you do know the FSL has declared a tax on any creatures possessed of more than four legs, Rusty? In your case that would amount to approximately ZAR6,528 per leg (over the statutory limit of four) per creature.

The Pack, on the other hand (or should that be paw) are more than welcome to come aboard (tax-free) as are all other four-legged animal friends of this assembled company.

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 10:13
Fell in the drink it did they reckon,anyway as a society we need to slow down not speed up.
:=
Voice over the air Mr More? I tell you no good will come of it.:=
I likes the waggy finger smiley.
One intends to have the waggy thumb smiley emblazoned upon one's tombstone.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Aug 2011, 10:25
...that would amount to approximately ZAR6,528 per leg...

Twenty eight Oz cents then, Ms BD? Reckon one will keep 'em, to be used when the occasion demands.:ok:

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 10:55
There are of course always alternatives to a prison sentence :E
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/brandingiron.jpg

DX Wombat
12th Aug 2011, 11:01
Didn't Mr Blacksheep have a nice python on board for catching meeces and things? Has it made the transfer successfully?

green granite
12th Aug 2011, 11:28
Shamelessly nicked from the mil forum

Hot Shots! Trailer - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3180959769/)

Checkboard
12th Aug 2011, 11:31
This is the full version of the aeroplane-caravan thingy, and this one shows the fettling the owner has done inside & out, and explains where the car came from:

Citroen CX Six-wheeler Loadrunner/ Piper Comanche micro-caravan project #2 - YouTube

:ok:

parabellum
12th Aug 2011, 11:33
Good to see you back JSL, hardly anything worse than suddenly being without transport and the internet!;)

When I extended my bungalow at Smallfield, near Gatwick I turned a very ordinary fire place and chimney brest into a nice sandstone feature using sandstone from the quarry that was uneven in shape and size. A local lad did the pointing with the smallest pointing trowel I've ever seen, he brought all the pointing to peak in the middle of the gap and made sure it all blended together, (he had taken the trouble to do some extra classes at night school), the effect was excellent. There was a pub on the way to Crawley called The Half Moon, I think, their sandstone fire place looked rubbish by comparison, the mortar had just been smoothed into the gaps with no real effort to create Ye Olde English effect.

DX Wombat
12th Aug 2011, 11:45
That's a great idea for a caravan. :ok:

Checkboard
12th Aug 2011, 11:46
Tidbit: posts above talking about "pointing" are actually talking about "striking", according to:

The difference between 'striking' and 'pointing' is that:

Striking is finishing the mortar joints between newly laid bricks.
Pointing is applying a small amount of mortar into the face joint between bricks (either newly laid or in old brickwork). In new brickwork, pointing can apply harder mortar to increase weather protection on exposed faces. In old brickwork, pointing is often used to repair mortar joints which have been eroded by exposure to the elements.

http://www.diydata.com/techniques/brickwork/pointing/pointing1.jpg
:p;)

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2011, 12:29
It seems a crewman is missing in the Thames after a tug foundered whilst towing a platform.

BBC News - Man missing as tug boat capsizes in Thames at Deptford (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14505009)

Blacksheep
12th Aug 2011, 12:31
I was talking about pointing. Our homes were fine examples of Victorian craftsmanship but required lots of TLC to keep them ship-shape. :)

One spent a lot of time in my youth whitewashing the yard walls to brighten up the gloomy back kitchen. (I don't know why we called it the back kitchen. There never was one at the front.)

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2011, 12:44
Many Victorian houses were built without mains water, and, therefore, without a 'kitchen'.
Cooking was done on the 'range' which was a fire in the 'living room' with an oven alongside that derived its heat from the fire (there being no mains electricity capable of powering an electric oven).

When mains water arrived it was usually laid along the 'back rows' and with a spur into the back-yard.

Some houses had a room built-on to house the tap (and a sink) and this became the kitchen, sometimes later having a gas cooker installed (as gas for lighting was available before electricity, which still was inadequate for 'power' when first installed as mains supply, providing only lighting).

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 12:57
Twere what is now called the living room that was called the kitchen when I were a urchin,the place where the cooking was done was called the scullery,mind you we were common as muck.

lasernigel
12th Aug 2011, 13:01
the place where the cooking was done was called the scullery,

Remember my Nana's down Cale Green. You couldn't swing a cat in it. Stone sink with an Ascot boiler that used to belch steam out. A small gas cooker and a tiny space to put the dishes. She still managed to cook for 10-12 of us at Christmas. Amazing woman.:ok::ok:

Bath was a tin one we took turns, Grandad was always first.

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 13:08
We used to dream of a tin bath.:rolleyes:
Boring snippet
The last man hanged from the yard arm on one of Her Majesty's ships was Marine John Dalliger aboard HMS Levin in 1861, he had shot and wounded his Captain and First Officer whilst drunk.
Further boring snippet.
The Army suspended flogging in 1868 and abolished it altogether in 1881,
the Navy suspended flogging in peacetime in 1871 it is still suspended not abolished,theoretically the Cat and the Press gang could be reintroduced in times of war should it prove neccessary.
Never burn your boats as they say in the Navy
:E

Radar66
12th Aug 2011, 17:28
Tis the Glorious Twelfth today.... :E

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/Radar66/12TH001.jpg

Lon More
12th Aug 2011, 17:56
Looks like a celestial choir there to give them a send-off Radz

IB4138
12th Aug 2011, 17:57
So, why not conscript all the convicted ones from the period of "aggressive late night shopping" into the navy and remove the suspension? :E

beaufort1
12th Aug 2011, 18:15
Talking of celestial, the Perseid Meteor shower peaks in the early hours of tomorrow morning. :ok:

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 18:23
Not much chance of seeing yon Persids through the gray clag that has sat a couple of hundred feet above the chimney pots here all bloody week.:suspect:

hellsbrink
12th Aug 2011, 18:25
Tis the Glorious Twelfth today....

Have been looking for another one by Mac that would be good too. Was one with some yobs saying something like "what can they do to us" and a pack of horses and hounds bearing down on them (because of the hunting ban, you see). A perfect solution, methinks..... :E

(searched archives back to Aug 2004, no luck yet, will keep trying)

4mastacker
12th Aug 2011, 18:53
....the place where the cooking was done was called the scullery,mind you we were common as muck.As was me granny's house in Walker. We might have been as common as muck Mr D but there was a certain sense of pride, honesty and decency about then. You could leave yer front door open and no scallywag would come in and nick the house contents. And if a police constable was seen even as much as heading toward yer front door, that was enough for the wimmin of yer street, in their headscarfs and pinnies, to start gossiping in hushed and scornful tones and adding to the enduring embarrassment of the occupants of the house visited by the aforementioned constable. A clip round the ear from the local bobby was enough to curb any hint of anti-social (a word not invented then) adventurism, rapidly followed by another (even heavier) clip delivered with a clenched fist by one's dad.

DX Wombat
12th Aug 2011, 19:09
A perishing gnat (insect variety) has just flown in here and bitten my foot through my sock. :* It is now suffering from terminal concussion occasioned by accidentally (on purpose on my part) ;) encountering my spectacles case when trying to effect an overweight take off to escape. :E

goudie
12th Aug 2011, 19:11
come in and nick the house contents

Contents! You had contents?:(

timmcat
12th Aug 2011, 19:17
That's a great idea for a caravan.

There is no such thing.. :*

gingernut
12th Aug 2011, 19:21
R66, great shed, is it yours ?

DX Wombat
12th Aug 2011, 19:32
Oh yes there is Timm. Just imagine the lovely long queues of vehicles crawling past so the occupants could get a proper look. :E Wonderful! :D Hmm, wonder what the A303 would be like next week, might ask if I can borrow it for a trial run. :E
By the way Timm, where's my free sample new-style Zafira that you were supposed to be cadging for me? :confused:

timmcat
12th Aug 2011, 19:46
Umm.... OK... went to Germany... drove one (not sure how much is embargoed so can't go into much detail) at high (well, as high as it would go) speed round a 4.5km banked circular test track.

Got dizzy.

Parked it up.

Hopped into minibus to airport and got plane home.

Forgot Wombats Z****a.

Sorry. :(

DX Wombat
12th Aug 2011, 19:55
Forgot Wombats Z****a.
:{ :{ :{ :{ :{
By the way Timm, it is a ZAFIRA - brilliant car for my purposes. :ok:
Even if I have just had to have two new tyres and the airconditioning re-gassed. :(

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 20:32
Got called out on a emergency Nephew was locked out of his new gaff,one had to break in,did so causing no damage whatsoever by using secret method know only to we fifth Dan black belt shed owners,one shall not elaborate,threads have ears.
This is a bloody big guitar,like having a piano hanging from yer neck.
uw6xdHB6KXU

vulcanised
12th Aug 2011, 21:43
I have a fairly low opinion of UK society in general, but even I was surprised and contemptuous to see that the most popular story on the BBC News website is Bert and Ernie 'will not marry'.

Not wishing to linger, I managed to deduce that they are two male glove puppets.

ThreadBaron
12th Aug 2011, 22:31
I have a fairly low opinion of UK society in general

How many of 'UK society' were involved in the malfeasance that recently occurred? What percentage of 'UK society' is that figure? I would guess something less than 1%.

Do not get me wrong, what went on is beyond the pale, but to say that UK society, as a whole, is on its last legs is, surely, somewhat excessive?

I have been rioted at, so have first-hand experience of such a situation and am not presenting my case from the fluffist/huggist corner.

Radar66
12th Aug 2011, 22:46
Sadly not Ginge m'laddo, but it is the blueprint for a future dream.... ;)

The TV has been green all week. Cricket during the day and goff at night. Even I am getting fed up of the the colour green.... :{

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 22:57
Happily one has not concidered oneself to be a member of UK society for the last twenty years,hmmm,suppose one is still a member of the British Astronomical Society, in theory anyway, note 'British',not 'Royal',one had to be posh to be a member of the Royal Astronomical Society and one int.

goudie
12th Aug 2011, 23:03
Been sitting here for the last 30 mins or so, browsing, and listening to an owl 'too whit too whooing'. Don't hear them very often so reluctant to turn in just yet.

Glad to see the police aren't taking any [email protected] from the mealy mouthed politicians.

I thought the response, to the looting, of the 'broom brigade' was brilliant too.

Owl still at, so I shall continue to listen under the duvet.

'Over and out.'

tony draper
12th Aug 2011, 23:07
Dont think I have ever heard a Owl in real life,certainly not seen one,perhaps tiz the reason wisdom is in short supply in these parts.:uhoh:

LordGrumpy
12th Aug 2011, 23:23
Morning all. Eat cheese too late: wide awake.
Saturday and I will have strawberry jam on toast with proper coffee.

lasernigel
13th Aug 2011, 01:44
at high (well, as high as it would go) speed round a 4.5km banked circular test track.

Is that above the UK speed limit???:E

Still awake just watched "Bridesmaids" and Chris Moyle's quiz. Tomorrow "Planet of the Apes" hopefully.:ok:

Red Thai beef for dinner tomorrow.

Sales director from last company wants me to put in CV, at my age still wanted! Flattered but can I manage all the extra work???

BlueDiamond
13th Aug 2011, 01:44
... the wimmin of yer street, in their headscarfs and pinnies, ...
Goodness it must be years since I heard the word, "pinnies" 4mastacker. Conjures up childhood images of neighbourhood women dressed exactly in the manner you describe, arms folded, leaning on their front door jambs and gossiping with each other across the street.

How about training all the rioters for the London Olympics? here's how it would work ... a new event is introduced called the 100 metres sprint/rifle shoot. The experts do the shooting and the scrotes do the sprinting ... pretty much like in that wonderful cartoon Radz posted.

Works for me. :E

Checkboard
13th Aug 2011, 01:58
Not much chance of seeing yon Persids through the gray clag that has sat a couple of hundred feet above the chimney pots here all bloody week.:suspect:

Just got back from a late night Malaga flight, so spent two and a half hours strapped into a seat at 38,000 feet (above the clouds & dust) staring at the night sky. In that time I saw two really nice shooting stars (as in bright and persistent over a couple of seconds) and a dozen or so itty-bitty streakers.

Even with the best seat in the house, meteor showers ain't what they used to be. :(

G-CPTN
13th Aug 2011, 06:48
drove one (not sure how much is embargoed so can't go into much detail) at high (well, as high as it would go) speed round a 4.5km banked circular test track.
If that was the Opel Prüffeld at Dudenhofen I was based there in the late 1960s running tests for Bedford before the Proving Ground was built at Millbrook in 1968. I was the first resident test engineer at Millbrook.

tony draper
13th Aug 2011, 06:52
Odd patches of blue in the sky here,dare we hope?:uhoh:
Never had a lot of luck with meteor showers, one has shivered through many a night seeking same..generally ending in norra sausage.:(
Mothers little helper :)
http://www.wimp.com/helpfuldog/

Lon More
13th Aug 2011, 07:28
Just released

How about training all the rioters for the London Olympics? here's how it would work ... a new event is introduced called the 100 metres sprint/rifle shoot. The experts do the shooting and the scrotes do the sprinting .
or hoy them out of a large trebuchet as a substitute for pigeon shooting. If the guns don't get them the dogs will. Even go to the extent of having Roman Games in the main stadium; lions, tigers, crocodiles, for the ethnic groups, feral pigs for the indigenous.

goudie
13th Aug 2011, 07:32
I was the first resident test engineer at Millbrook.

G-CPTN

For the last three years or so I've been doing some part time work at Millbrook. Usually driving visitors about or marshalling at motor events.
It's an amazing place, I love it there, especially on a warm summer's day. Never even knew it was there until a mate put me on to the agency who does the employing.

Very grey sky here in Herts.:(

Lon More
13th Aug 2011, 07:38
I was the first resident test engineer at Millbrook.
Did you know a mate of mine Graham Abbot? He was there a lot around that time, working on engine development

G-CPTN
13th Aug 2011, 07:50
I believe Graham might have been at the recent reunion in Luton (at the Pavilion in Wardown). It was the first time I have attended this (now) annual event.

For the last three years or so I've been doing some part time work at Millbrook. Usually driving visitors about or marshalling at motor events.
I will contact you next time I'm visiting my son in St Albans and maybe you can arrange a tour for me for old times' sake?
I left in 1982, though I have been back once in the late 1980s / very early 1990s.

IB4138
13th Aug 2011, 08:15
About to be invaded by the three grand children again, as both sets of parents working today and child care at a weekend costs an arm and a leg, if you can find any.........plus it's another public holiday weekend here in Spain.

Lon More
13th Aug 2011, 08:26
a happy lady.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/funnies/Happylady.jpg

no wonder she's lost most of her teeth

tony draper
13th Aug 2011, 08:32
The great firey ball is in the sky here, people in the street are gazing up in awe tears of joy flowing down their cheeks.
SIL is making her highly esteemed Corned beef Hash today,one shall sidle next door later petending indiference and finaly agree to have a platefull.
Nephew Draper full of gratitude for one's housebreaking skills saving him 200 quid in lockshithery fees has offered to buy one a Big Mac,the day shows promise.
Here was the problem overcome,solutions invited from the shedites, house locked up, not a problem spare keys available next door,no use, keys left in locks both front and back on the inside, (I know I know utter insanity)ergo spare keys will not go in locks from the outside.
One admits it were a ten ciggy problem.

lasernigel
13th Aug 2011, 10:23
Good day all. Raining on and off here still.

Problems again with sleep machine. But managed to sleep without and had lie in.:ok:

parabellum
13th Aug 2011, 12:47
Put a drop of Loctite 406 on tip of spare key and push into hole, instant strong bond on contact with key on other side, now rotate to the unlock position. Spend rest of day dismantling lock to retrieve bonded keys, that they may be separated,?

EDIT: Spare key won't work as it won't rotate, substitute piece of rod, like shaft of screw driver.

green granite
13th Aug 2011, 13:32
One advantage of my double glazing type doors is that you need the key on the outside to lock them.

lasernigel
13th Aug 2011, 14:26
Windows 7 seems to have made changes which I know I didn't do. When I hover my mouse on the taskbar I get a small window showing me the web pages. It's like a small view of them...weird as I haven't done anything honest!

Still muggy here and overcast.

EDDNHopper
13th Aug 2011, 15:14
Basically dull here, too, with approx. 4 minutes of sunshine today. Early spring and late autumn decided to meet in July/August in these parts, it seems summer hasn't got a chance at all this year.

On keys, locked bicycle in town the other day with those spring-lock-type locks but forgot key at home. Not for the first time, one should hide spare keys in various places across town.

beaufort1
13th Aug 2011, 15:33
Pouring down, just for a change. :rolleyes:

People have gone swimming mad, one chap is in the process or circumnavigating the Island, it must be about 22 nm's and the last I heard he was doing well. Next week a retired surgeon is attempting to swim the Channel, if he succeeds he will be the oldest person at 70 years of age to accomplish this feat, I should think he'll do it as he knows what he is letting himself in for as he managed it in 2004.:)

green granite
13th Aug 2011, 15:47
Windows 7 seems to have made changes which I know I didn't do. When I hover my mouse on the taskbar I get a small window showing me the web pages. It's like a small view of them...weird as I haven't done anything honest!

It's meant to do that Nigel. and a very useful feature when you have multiple tabs open and the browser minimised, in case you haven't found it you can also pin any program to the task bar by right clicking on the icon and selecting 'pin to task bar' so that only one click is needed to open it and also de-clutters your desktop.

redsnail
13th Aug 2011, 15:59
Home! Woo hoo. Pax left huge chocky cake behind. That'll do for my birthday cake tomorrow. :D

tony draper
13th Aug 2011, 16:05
One is replete of corned beef hash and strawberries and cream.:rolleyes:

IB4138
13th Aug 2011, 16:16
Ankle biters returned to owners,,,Pizza and a few pints tonight. :ok:

Checkboard
13th Aug 2011, 16:32
Home! Woo hoo. Pax left huge chocky cake behind. That'll do for my birthday cake tomorrow. :D

Actually, pax left:
Bottle of good champgne,
Bottle of orange juice, and
untouched choccy cake

... guess which of the three didn't make it home to loving hubby. :suspect:

tony draper
13th Aug 2011, 16:36
I wudda asked Captain Reddo to fly round for a bit until I had finished the chocolate cake.
"Burp! right Captain you may land your heavier than air machine now"

MIDLGW
13th Aug 2011, 18:00
Am covered in ash. Been having a burning session to get rid of various paperwork. Much better than a shredder and much more therapeutic.

Grey clouds all round now, but was sunny and hot earlier when doing walkies.

Ohhh, dinner's finally ready. Ham hock with various veg and a lethal chili + pear cider "gravy" in the slow cooker. Best gerron with it.

Checkboard
13th Aug 2011, 18:03
Been having a burning session to get rid of various paperwork.

I didn't know you were a banker! ;)

Wholigan
13th Aug 2011, 18:18
Radz made a whole bunch of crème brûlée for a dinner party she is catering this evening.

Ergo, I have 24 egg whites to do something with! So this evening while she is out, I be mostly making meringues and lemon meringue pie I guess.

west lakes
13th Aug 2011, 18:22
Ohhh, dinner's finally ready. Ham hock with various veg and a lethal chili + pear cider "gravy" in the slow cooker.

Please send me some by some electronic means :8

west lakes
13th Aug 2011, 18:25
Wet this morning, dried up a bit but cloudy and windy all afternoon.

Got my herb planter into place and part planted :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294382_2004913556599_1056423095_2863727_1772496_n.jpg

Wholigan
13th Aug 2011, 18:28
Very smart westie. :ok:

IB4138
13th Aug 2011, 18:50
Grey clouds all round now

Some fire was that MIDLGW. :ooh:

green granite
13th Aug 2011, 19:01
Am covered in ash. Been having a burning session to get rid of various paperwork. Much better than a shredder and much more therapeutic.

Tut, tut young lady, as gardener you should shred paper and add it to the compost heap.

Lon More
13th Aug 2011, 19:07
Can't decide if it's jazz or folk tonight. Mary Coughlin has one of the most compelling voices I've ever heard

Hallelujah

as gardener you should shred paper and add it to the compost heap. But those shredded £3 are a dead giveaway when the cops come calling. Trying to download some photos taken a couple of weeks away up North of Westie but camera and PC aren't co-operating. I don't care, second bottle of Medoc and there's some more chambrerend. Nice lump oof Camembert running round the desk, not worried about the dreams either

Rollingthunder
13th Aug 2011, 20:50
Men with earrings just look totally stupid and any credibility is just gone.

EDDNHopper
13th Aug 2011, 20:53
That herb thingy looks good! Been looking for something like that for quite some time now, will set off on Monday to search again...

Lots of slugs this year, do those stone chippings or whatever they are called keep them off?

west lakes
13th Aug 2011, 20:55
Lots of slugs this year, do those stone chippings or whatever they are called keep them off?

No idea actually, they're more decorative!

I'm investing in some slug pellets tomorrow as I think the things have eaten all my spring onions! :suspect:

Rollingthunder
13th Aug 2011, 20:57
Salt.......................

EDDNHopper
13th Aug 2011, 21:11
......... no use when it's sooooooo wet. :suspect:

Rollingthunder
13th Aug 2011, 21:13
guard dog and scatter gun then although salt water is a good deterent.

EDDNHopper
13th Aug 2011, 21:16
Beer trap also seems to work.

Waste of beer though.

MIDLGW
13th Aug 2011, 21:19
No leftovers, Westie - sorry! Finished dinner with naughty dessert. Choc chip and cookie dough ice cream with caramel sauce.

The ash (once cold, of course) gets put on the earth of flowers, which IME is virtually composting so very good ;) Also, the smoke from chimenea annoys the feral kids in the streets :E

Herby planter looks good, Westie :ok: I'd like some of Radz' puddings - they're my favourite.

Time now to make lunch for tomorrow. Then bed ready for silly o'clock wake-up in the morning.

Ps. Get some Blackbirds. They like snails and slugs. Alternatively, get some hedgehogs.

west lakes
13th Aug 2011, 21:24
Get some Blackbirds. They like snails and slugs. Alternatively, get some hedgehogs. We have, both are regular visitors to the garden

Night time leccy bits

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/295601_2005274685627_1056423095_2864360_515766_n.jpg

Rollingthunder
13th Aug 2011, 21:38
Against larger insects, this mucus defence does not help. Especially carnivorous beetles, such as carabids (Carabidae) and fireflies (Lampyridae) (among the latter especially the larvae) are used to attacking and eating snails.

Not only insects eat snails, also many arachnids: Among the harvestmen (Opiliones) there are species (Ischyropsalis hellwigi) that almost exclusively live on snails.

There are snail eaters in all vertebrate classes. Among the amphibians mainly larger frogs, but especially toads eat snails, such as the common toad (Bufo bufo). That is why the latter should be a very welcome guest in every garden: It does not even hesitate to eat the large slugs, whose slime makes them inedible to other animals. Also the fire salamander (Salamandra salamandra) and its black relative, the alpine salamander (Salamandra atra) eat small slugs and snails. The fire salamander even lurks for its prey on mushrooms these visit to eat.

Among reptiles, mainly small non venomous species also eat snails, for example the European blindworm (Anguis fragilis) and the Australian snail skink (Tiliqua gerrardii), a small lizard. Among snakes there are for example certain canopy snakes from Costa Rica (the snake displayed is Dipsas bicolor).

Songbirds usually also eat snails, if their size allows them to do so. The song thrush (Turdus merula) has solved the problem how to crush a snail�s shell by throwing them on a suitable hard stone. Usually it uses the same stone ever and ever again, which is why there many broken snail shells can be found. Such a stone is then called a thrush anvil. On the other hand, snails have adapted to this by a most uncommon form of camouflage � depending on vegetation cover and ground colour, banded snails can be yellow or red, banded or unbanded, always those camouflaged best are selected to survive. Next to song birds, also fowl and ducks (for example the so-called runner ducks) eat snails. Stork, heron and other birds also will not leave a tasty snail aside.

Among mammals, especially insectivores also will eat snails, but also some carnivores will fatten their menu with a snail. Especially fond of snails and also slugs are hedgehogs (Erinaceus europaeus), moles (Talpa europaea) and shrews. The hedgehog has a special method to rid slugs of their sticky slime: It rolls them in earth and then cleans them with its paws.

Of course, one enemy of snails remains to be named at last: Man

'cept we don't eat - prefer Green Tomato BLTs and porridge

Checkboard
13th Aug 2011, 21:45
Beer trap also seems to work.

You can TRAP beer??? :ok: I didn't know it wandered about - how much do you get in a night? :ok:

EDDNHopper
13th Aug 2011, 21:46
Sorry, must admit to have eaten snails in my youth.

Still a delicacy in France. Where else?

how much do you get in a night?

Too much, according to Mrs Hopper.

Lon More
13th Aug 2011, 22:14
I'm a happy chappy.
Up the stairs to Bedfordshire.

Night night peeps

parabellum
14th Aug 2011, 00:13
Ducks and Chooks will also get rid of your snails and slugs. Soot, from the chimney, was used as a deterrent in days gone by.

Radar66
14th Aug 2011, 00:31
!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY REDDO !!

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/anyka/anyka0810/anyka081000112/3727618-funny-snail-sitting-on-the-cork-of-a-champagne-bottle.jpg

BlueDiamond
14th Aug 2011, 01:18
Happy Happies, Reddo. May it be full of sunshine and rainbows for you with never an LCOT in sight! :ok:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/3389681065_2d2236c50f.jpg

handsfree
14th Aug 2011, 06:35
Oooo a birthday

Have a nice one Redders

The sun has returned to the skies. What joy.

1852 The first public lavatory was opened, on London's Fleet Street.

LordGrumpy
14th Aug 2011, 06:37
I bought some wire nails yesterday.
Properly wrapped they were; in easily recycled sheet newspaper.
Brown bags are okay, but for suchlike hardware store purchase: credibility comes from purchase in a decent daily.
Decent dailys are a rarity: can't get the staff.
I'm Ppruning cause it is too early to hammer saw etc.

Happy Birthday Captain Reddo.

beaufort1
14th Aug 2011, 06:52
Many Happy Returns Capt. Reddo. :ok:

Yet another grey day after a night lashed with rain.

My intrepid swimmer didn't complete the circumnavigation yesterday, he got within about 3 nm's of the finish but got beaten by the tides. A good effort though. :ok:

hellsbrink
14th Aug 2011, 07:01
Happy Beerday, Redsnail

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4792469173_99063ae549.jpg

Not nice weather here again, can't the cops find the buggahs that stole summer?

green granite
14th Aug 2011, 07:07
HAPPY BUFFDAY REDDO

tony draper
14th Aug 2011, 07:25
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Captain Reddo,:ok:
Lorra clouds about here:(

EDDNHopper
14th Aug 2011, 07:34
Many happy returns, Captn Redsnail!

Wx forecast promises warmer for today, we'll have to wait and see.

IB4138
14th Aug 2011, 08:04
Happy one reddo.:ok:

I get a weeks respite from Mrs IB starting this afternoon, as she's off to her mother's in Blackpool...her mother is 88 this next week. :)

Chinese with daughter this evening.

BlueDiamond
14th Aug 2011, 08:11
... it is too early to hammer saw etc.
You could always go to a board meeting, Your Lordship ... or form your own carpentry splinter group.

Okay, okay ... no need to shove, I know where the door is.

west lakes
14th Aug 2011, 08:12
APPLE BIRDATH

REDDO

goudie
14th Aug 2011, 08:26
A very happy 'Once A Year Day' Miss Reddo:):)

Lon More
14th Aug 2011, 08:56
What they all said, Captain Reddo.

Grey and autumnal here.

Bit hurty head this morning. Much coffee and toast required.