PDA

View Full Version : The Snipping Tool

finfly1
8th Aug 2011, 16:31
Once shown how this works, it became quite useful to me in the dell I got in May 2010.

Today, I saved a screenshot of a radar picture to a folder marked photo intake. When I looked for it, it was not there.

The computer search engine said it WAS there, but when I clicked on the thumbnail of the photo in the search results, it merely showed the other photos in the intake file.

Shooting the only two arrows in my tech quiver, I rebooted and then when that failed to correct, did a system restore.

When I tried again, it told me that there was already a similar pic in the file and did I want to replace it. I did. It is still not there.

Any hints?

muppetbum
8th Aug 2011, 17:55
try changing the settings on the snipping tool to save it into another folder.

or save it to the clip board and then paste it into photshop or whatever.

I love the snipping tool ! very useful for producing instructions for morons , piccies of the appropriate buttons with big arrows pointing to them!!

green granite
8th Aug 2011, 18:04
I tend to snip then copy and paste it into Irfanview modify it if required and save it from there.

finfly1
8th Aug 2011, 18:42
Thank you both. I have tried several different locations for putting the photo and results do not vary.

When I use the very effective search feature for the entire computer, it will bring up the thumbnail of what I have saved, twice, plus a third image like a little globe. What it appears to be doing is merely creating a shortcut, to a place where it should be, but is not.

Thanks both for the suggestions. I'll try the clipboard next.

Saab Dastard
8th Aug 2011, 23:24
The default file type to save a Snip as is .PNG - try saving it as a .JPG

SD

finfly1
9th Aug 2011, 00:19
My lovely internet and laptop guru came home and in about 30 minutes discovered the culprit is McAfee virus protection. It seems that a recent McAfee update hides all snipped files and they know about and are working on the problem.

Thanks for the characteristic and thoughtful help.

finfly1
12th Aug 2011, 01:11
Just as a PS. Just now we turned OFF the McAfee virus application and snipping tool performed as it should.