PDA

View Full Version : You Want Mayo on That ?

spittingimage
8th Aug 2011, 10:33
NO, I bloody well don't !

Called in at M40 Services on Saturday for a sandwich with Mrs SI. M&S emporium conspicuous so started there. EVERY sandwich on offer deliberately contaminated by mayonnaise or similar gunk. :ugh: Yuck !

What is it with the British public that requires a vinegar-based contaminant on food ? From vinegar on chips to tomato sauce on pretty much anything. Chutney, HP sauce, salad 'dressing', salad cream, mustard and a host more of, as I see it, pretty much pointless taste altering fluids. Is our collective palate so jaded that we have to tip goo on everything because we can no longer savour unadulterated foods ?

Why cannot we enjoy just simple, tasty food ?

SI

PS to my surprise, I finally found a cheese and ham baguette at 'The Upper Crust' with no contaminants at all. Delish. :ok:

Lon More
8th Aug 2011, 10:39
From vinegar on chips
IIRC helps the digestion of a fat food.

Storminnorm
8th Aug 2011, 10:43
I love Cornish Pasties.

Storminnorm
8th Aug 2011, 10:44
I love Cornish Pasties. Without mayo.

parabellum
8th Aug 2011, 10:51
Is our collective palate so jaded that we have to tip goo on everything because we can no longer savour unadulterated foods ?

No, it so that they can serve up the cheapest, most tasteless cuts of everything, charge top dollar and hope you won't notice because, other than the 'goo on everything ', the real taste would be horrible.

(Roadside economics 101, serve crap, charge top dollar, who cares? They won't be back any time soon, how else am I expected to pay the exorbitant rent/franchise charges anyway?)

sitigeltfel
8th Aug 2011, 10:55
I love Cornish Pasties.

A Forfar Bridie with added spuds :yuk:

Mayo could only improve it :ok:

Parapunter
8th Aug 2011, 11:00
Pound to a penny the roll your delish ham & cheese was served in had calcium propanoate in it.

Enjoy.:yuk:

Storminnorm
8th Aug 2011, 11:01
Nothing can improve on a Warren's Cornish Pasty!

Delicious!!

Back down there again for MORE in a couple of weeks!!!

MagnusP
8th Aug 2011, 11:08
That's it. No gravy on spittingimage's sunday roast this week, as he's opposed to pointless, taste-altering fluids. :rolleyes:

parabellum
8th Aug 2011, 11:11
Does Ivor Dewdney still sell pasties in the West Country?

Krystal n chips
8th Aug 2011, 11:15
" EVERY sandwich on offer deliberately contaminated by mayonnaise or similar gunk. Yuck !

What is it with the British public that requires a vinegar-based contaminant on food "

Take it you've never been a Line Maint.Eng then ?.....:cool: :E

Yamagata ken
8th Aug 2011, 11:54
Mayonaise is the one thing I hate about Japan. You can't get a salad sandwich without this filth squeezing out. Yuck.

Neptunus Rex
8th Aug 2011, 13:24
Stop whingeing. You can always make your own sandwiches, then you have complete control, as well as being able to use your favoutite healthy bread.

Chip Buttie, anyone?

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2011, 13:30
Mayo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Mayo) . . .

stuckgear
8th Aug 2011, 13:36
Chip Buttie, anyone?

With Mayo ?

BombayDuck
8th Aug 2011, 13:37
As an adopted Cornishman, I love pasties! Unfortunately the ones by Rowe give me the runs :* Warren's are still good, though, Storm! :ok:

(and dare anyone put any mayo on my pasty!)

gibbo568
8th Aug 2011, 14:04
Don,t mind mayo. But why is so much perfectly good food contaminated by solidified congealed sour milk, AKA CHEESE?!!!

ehwatezedoing
8th Aug 2011, 14:06
no, this is Mayo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayo,_Yukon)

Storminnorm
8th Aug 2011, 14:09
Go and wash your mouth out Parabellum!!!
Ivor Dewdney's so called "Pasties" come from Plymouth!!!!!
Which is STILL in DEVON AFAIK!!!!

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2011, 14:17
bYtazEBQ1K8

Evanelpus
8th Aug 2011, 15:48
I like mayo and tomato ketchup mixed together. Very good with thick oven chips covered in salt and vinegar.

radeng
8th Aug 2011, 16:07
As an hors d'oeuvre, I am partial to ouef dur mayonnaise. It is the only thing I like it for.

As far as salad dressing is concerned, most nations have it. I like a nice vinaigrette, made with garlic, English mustard, tarragon, virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar.

hval
8th Aug 2011, 16:09
Do you know G-CPTN, I had forgotten how pretty the Short S.20 Mercury was.

Tankertrashnav
8th Aug 2011, 17:35
No, this is Mayo

Comprehensive website on County Mayo Ireland (http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/)

Re pasties, yes Warrens and Rowes both ok, but the Cornish cognoscenti go to this place, which is the equivalent of Loch Fyne oysters in the pasty world

Philps Bakery | Products | Pasties (http://www.philpsbakery.co.uk/Products/Pasties)

If Hayle is a bit of a trek, they even do a postal service!

(did anyone mention Ginsters? I hope not :yuk:)

11Fan
8th Aug 2011, 17:38
D_r0lDY84Lk

BombayDuck
8th Aug 2011, 20:17
Obligatory Airplane! line: "Give me Hamm on five, hold the Mayo!"

I don't dislike mayo - love it with potato wedges and fries and chips, especially love the Garlic variety on kebabs.

Dammit, now I'm hungry.

Lon More
8th Aug 2011, 21:15
Real Belgian "Frites met mayo en pickle." :ok::ok:

mixture
8th Aug 2011, 21:46
spittingimage,

I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy whatever with your rant.

You stopped at a motorway service station and you expect to find a gastronomic delight ?

Seriously ! :ugh:

Even in France, Spain and other generally gastronomically competent countries you'll only find processed industrial c**p at motorway service stations.

There's plenty of good food to be found in the UK that does not have vinegar, mayonnaise and other industrial chemicals in it.... but like everywhere else, you have to venture further than the motorway service station.

RedhillPhil
8th Aug 2011, 22:28
Nothing can improve on a Warren's Cornish Pasty!

Delicious!!

Back down there again for MORE in a couple of weeks!!!

Market Jew Street or Newlyn Bridge?

BombayDuck
8th Aug 2011, 23:46
Market Jew Street or Newlyn Bridge?

Does it have to be a specific Warren's? There are at least three in Truro if I remember right, two of them a stone's and a javelin's throw from the Cathedral respectively.

Mind you, I want to try the ones at a small place in St. Ives on the promenade. They had a fair variety and all priced at less than 2.50 quid. I was in the mood for eating crab though and they didn't have crab-filled pasties :)

hellsbrink
9th Aug 2011, 04:16
Real Belgian "Frites met mayo en pickle."

Aye, especiually when they are made by this Scotsman (the best fries in flanders, I am told)

parabellum
9th Aug 2011, 04:32
Sorry Norm! (Still like 'em though!):O

Evanplus - If you are going to mix mayo with tom sauce you may as well add a few dashes of Tabasco, a handful of shrimps and have a shrimp cocktail!