PDA

View Full Version : Logbooks, and associated procrastination

blue up
8th Aug 2011, 09:46
I haven't totted up my hours for the last 10 years. There are off chocks and on chocks times but no adding up of the numbers. The CAA want my total hours before they will renew my licence. 2 long days on it and I'm only up to march 2006.
Will someone please come round and shoot me?:{

Storminnorm
8th Aug 2011, 09:50
Procrastination is the thief of times.

Trim Stab
8th Aug 2011, 12:02
I wish I knew what procrastination means. I'll look it up later.

sitigeltfel
8th Aug 2011, 12:10
Aviation should catch up with trucking.

Truck-Driver - Digital Tachograph Card (http://www.truck-driver.co.uk/digital-tachograph-card/)

421dog
8th Aug 2011, 14:21
For the past few years, flightaware and its ilk have kept me sane. As long as I know which plane I was flying on a given day, the numbers are all right there for a nominal fee. It provides independent confirmation of actual flight hours much to the satisfaction of all the bean counters, and i dont have to dig through a bunch of different logbooks to find the info.
Only problem is if you're flying into uncontrolled fields and cancel substantially before you land....

SpringHeeledJack
8th Aug 2011, 15:25
Remember, with procrastination you always have something to do tomorrow :8

SHJ

Gulfstreamaviator
8th Aug 2011, 16:09
In general I like the digi licence.....

It is really no different in data storage than the digi down loads already in place, so why should there not be a big bros in the cockpit.

O yes, just thought of the problem, the company can no longer adjust your report times retrpectivly, to be 1 hour before actual block time, and not theoretical / is scheduled times.

But I do like the idea...provided I can get a read out for my own use...

But then all licences should be plastic, with picture and RF'd....

never mind.

glf

Checkboard
8th Aug 2011, 22:12
If you're serious that you have been in the industry for 10 years, then you should have guessed the total and spent your time running backwards.

You think the CAA have the time to prove a 10 year pilot is wrong by a hundred hours or so?? ;)

corsair
8th Aug 2011, 23:13
Tsk, you naughty boy, but remember when filling in the logbook was a special moment.. Yeah, I know it was a long time ago. But it was special. Now it's a pain. I always fancied I would write a book about my amazing experiences. But a surprising lack of them resulting in a dull record of a dull record of a dull time at some period somewhere in my life.

It's not always that way. I took my four year old flying just the other day. I was actually nervous, he wasn't. On finals he took control and banked left and right. He was most offended when I took it back. That will be a logbook moment.

Not for him though, he was P1C and wondered what my problem was.

Slasher
9th Aug 2011, 04:17
I'm still a full two years behind in my Ozzie log book.
Thankfully I don't have to do anything for another 2.

blue up
9th Aug 2011, 05:43
I've discovered that since 2001 I have been averaging 550 hours per year, full time, 757/767. I know the ground instructing takes up a lot of time in the wintr but I'd assumed I was getting much closer to the 900 per year. Goodness knows waht the new european '1000 p.a.' would feel like.:ooh:

Ant T
9th Aug 2011, 22:46
I have just sent off both ATPL s (F/W and Helicopter) to convert from UK to JAR.

The forms implied that I had to send in the original copy of my current medical certificate, and all my logbooks ( - the form said the only exception was if your flying was all for the same operator with a supporting letter from the company to verify your claimed hours, which mine wasn't).
However, a quick phone call to FCL at the CAA and I was told that I did not need to send either, (as they had my medical on record and had seen my logbooks for the original ATPL issues). I did make the effort to give them the most up to date info (they wanted hours divided by Multi-pilot and Single-pilot, which wasn't the easiest to separate out from my old-fashioned non-computerised books), but at least they were going to accept my word for it.

So it is worth a quick phone call to find out what they "actually" require, rather than just what they appear to.