PDA

View Full Version : New JAR syllabus and using 'Bristol' for ATPL

Turbine Tom
7th Aug 2011, 21:40
Gentlemen/Ladies,

I have recently started my ATPL training at OAA and have been told that we are doing the new syllabus for the ground school.

I have met and spoken to a lot of people who are and have studied for ground school exams, and they tell me that Bristol is a question bank with all the JAR questions on it.

Since I'm on the new syllabus, is there going to be an update on Bristol?

Also, if there isn't going to be an update, how many questions are the same as the old syllabus?

I'm probably planning on using it as a revision aid along with the books, but only if it's worth it for the new syllabus.

zondaracer
8th Aug 2011, 01:12
I'm under the impression that the guys at Bristol are always trying to update their question bank and keep it current and relevant, otherwise they probably wouldn't do such good business :ok:

Turbine Tom
8th Aug 2011, 08:41
Oh really?
That's good news.

I am just dubious as to how many questions are relevant to the new syllabus, and how many will have been changed.

I assumed as much that they wouldn't change all questions.

Anyone else got inside knowledge?

jhall_45
10th Aug 2011, 00:44
Hey, im studying at cabair and have just completed the first 6 ATPL examinations on the new syllabus (LAW,OPS,VFR,IFR,AGK,INSTR), there was very minor changes and Bristol pretty much done the work for all of those i done, especially law and operations which was practically Bristol on paper, however instruments had around 10 questions i had never seen,alot on the Inertial Navigation system, alot of version 3 bristol comes up now too in comparison to the old syllabus! hope this helps.

IO540
10th Aug 2011, 08:37
Is there really an official QB for these new exams?

By "official" I mean one obtained under the FoI Act or whatever.

I have just finished the last of the 7 IR exams, using the FlyingExam QB. HP&L was more or less as per the QB but the other six were all very significantly easier than the QB, and I suspect the CAA has done a lot more weeding of the IR QB (which derives from the ATPL subjects of similar names) than FE did. No IR-only QB has ever been released anywhere AFAIK so it is anybody's guess what should be in there.

If there is no official QB then the old exams are a better bet. The downside is that you must finish them all by next March... all 14 in your case :)