PDA

View Full Version : Qantas on You Tube

Frank Arouet
7th Aug 2011, 00:02
Qantas pilots criticsm today. Very interesting;

Topher | Welcome (http://topher.com.au/)

tryhard1
7th Aug 2011, 00:23
Good Grief! :yuk:

1a sound asleep
7th Aug 2011, 00:45
I agree with him about stopping the like of Emirates. If we want to keep QF Australian it needs protection

simsalabim
7th Aug 2011, 00:47
Scrotum Face and Maggie's love child speaks !!

The Green Goblin
7th Aug 2011, 00:53
It's all the unions fault :ugh:

If the unions were not trying to protect Australian workers rights and conditions, then Qantas would be able to compete.....:ugh:

Yep, cause Emirates, Etihad and co pay their Pilots peanuts hey? (many cabin crew folk are expats on decent wages with housing included also might I add)

Prior to this he made some good points.

westausatc
7th Aug 2011, 00:54
Once he got to the part where he talked about Emirates and Etihad being hugely profitable, I had to stop or I would have been sick. Emirates, yes, hugely profitable. Etihad has not come even close to breaking even since it started, let alone being hugely profitable.

If you are going to sprout tripe, at least research it so you get some basic facts right.

blueloo
7th Aug 2011, 00:59
Given how uninformed he is, you would have to think the Qantas PR department wrote it for him.

What ever happened to researching your work before making a complete goose of yourself.....and putting it to air!

I prefer the shambolicly dishonest spokesmodel compared to this klingon puppet.

Bootstrap1
7th Aug 2011, 01:05
I know I will be shot down in a flaming heap, but a lot of what he said does make sense.
Having said that, how can the unions offer to help the company be profitable and successful into the future when the like of the satanistic management wont sit down and have fruitful discussions about keeping QF Australian.

It would be fantastic to see QF as the most efficient and smartest airline in the world,but that requires an investment in capital other than aircraft and management that is looking further forward than the next financial statement.

We are the end of the line for a lot of flights, we should be cashing in on the fact that Sydney will see a lot of A380 transitting here, and so offer maintenance and services to those operators, and while doing that bet the 787 Goldcare provider for the region. If they need to make money, then there is more than one way to skin a cat.

There is more to an airline operation that just bums on seats.

binrow
7th Aug 2011, 01:08
Just a point, spent 2 years with Etihad as an engineer,My bases plus allowence's 19000, per month was as much as I was at QF, plus housing and schooling for 3 kids, 250000 dhs per annum at an exchange rate of 3.3 at the time, it is not cheap over there as everyone thinks. on top of that by law( if there is such a thing in the sandpit) they pay 4 weeks pension and health insurance for you and your family.

Etihad have just declared a profit, HAHAHAHAHA. they have doggier accountants than QF

ozangel
7th Aug 2011, 01:08
Missing: One miniature clone, answers to Topher, much loved - Reward $1.50. If seen, contact Andrew Bolt.

qf 1
7th Aug 2011, 01:16
my god didn't one man take a 1/4 of Qantas profits a couple of years ago.

Capt Kremin
7th Aug 2011, 01:17
One of the great comedy devices is the confidently delivered opinion which is just so totally wrong that it takes the breath away!

Mr Topher, you had me in stitches.

The whole premise of your piece was predicated on the demise of AN after "International open skies" was declared in 1998, thus wiping out the international duopoly that you believe existed up till then. According to you, if you were an Australian before 1998, you only had a choice of 2 airlines if you wanted to fly internationally, and the reason AN collapsed was because it was exposed to international competition after 1998???

Sorry Mr Topher, any opinion you expressed after that howler is rendered invalid. You didn't research anything did you Mr Topher? You are making it up as you go along aren't you Mr Topher. You are a dilettante poseur without a clue ...aren't you Mr Topher.

You have been found out... Mr Topher.

Shed Dog Tosser
7th Aug 2011, 01:24
I'd reckon he's pretty dumb, swallowing a fair amount of PR spin and presenting it as fact.

Biatch
7th Aug 2011, 02:02
From his about page... Goes on about what videos he's done and that after his fourth video because he was poor he wouldnt be doing anymore. Then there is this bit

And well... thanks to a little financial support, Tophers Unpopular View #5 is now released!* Check it out on the Home page

Financial support? From Qantas?

sierra5913
7th Aug 2011, 02:22
I agree with him about stopping the like of Emirates. If we want to keep QF Australian it needs protection

Then people like me end up paying $1500 return to BKK just to keep everyone employed?

No thanks.

I get no protection at my job. If don't compete on a daily basis, I'll find myself at on the Centrelink queue Monday morning.

strim
7th Aug 2011, 02:29
What a doosh.

7378FE
7th Aug 2011, 02:31

Stop Emirates doing what exactly?

Both Emirates & Etihad operate under the UAE-Australia bi-lateral airservices agreement, QANTAS has the same Australia-UAE rights as UAE airlines do on the UAE to Australia route, but choose not to exercise these rights.

Why is QANTAS sooking about it? Grow up and compete or bugger off and let other carriers do the job.

IsDon
7th Aug 2011, 02:37
QANTAS are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this guy.

I guess if they're planning to scrape the bottom if the barrel to source pilots for their Asian experiment, why shouldn't they find some Current Affair wannabe straight out of high school with very little experience, knowledge or credibility. Write a story for him to put his name to, give him access to the sim centre, and other QANTAS property, and let him loose.

Pitiful really. A journo wannabe signing up to cheque book journalism so soon. What next, News of the World?

WoodenEye
7th Aug 2011, 02:46
There is more to the story that what Topher says, but nonetheless, believe he has hit the nail on the head. I.e. Qantas is on track to follow Ansett if it can’t generate sufficient cash flow to take delivery of all planned A380’s & B787’s.

For Qantas International to prosper, things must change and the real question needs to be is the solution presently being touted the best alternative?

There is a substitute for either scaling down Qantas International and/or shifting jobs offshore; and that is for Qantas International to be integrated into IAG. See IAG delivers strongest result of the ‘big three’, as sales soar in 1H | Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation - CAPA (http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2011/08/02/iag-delivers-strong-result-of-the-big-three-as-sales-soar-in-1h/page1?utm_source=Aviation+Analyst&utm_campaign=248eb68968-Aviation_Analyst_05_August_20118_5_2011&utm_medium=email)

For why it is so.

Air Ace
7th Aug 2011, 02:49
binrow.

As a LAME you may have received a very attractive salary in the Sanpit, but what is the ratio of LAME's to aircraft in Etihad? Around one LAME per aircraft plus unlicensed, low paid labour - compared to Qantas ratio closer 10 LAME per airframe?

Topher seems to be just another uninformed opinion.

But his comments beg the question: if our Australian airline services are totally unregulated and unprotected, why is our civil aviation regulation and industrial relations so grossly over regulated for Australian airlines?

Surely if we are to have an Australian airline industry it must be given some protection against predatory, lower cost and/or subsidised overseas airlines?

Perhaps the Unions should be addressing this issue direct to Government, before we lose our airline industry, the same way we've lost almost every other labour intensive manufactoring and service industry? We can't keep digging up Australia and exporting it for ever! We are not even value adding our natural resources or processing our primary agricultural produce!

dreamjob
7th Aug 2011, 03:10
"Don't bite the hand that feeds you" :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

airtags
7th Aug 2011, 03:22
Z grade student project media campaigns .....sigh....

...from the world's most experienced .

[I]Next we'll probably see that the kids onboard activity packs will have colouring in pages depicting the fat ugly union monster trying to fly the plane and the cranky cacky handed engineer that lives in the big hanger.

AT

The Other Guy
7th Aug 2011, 03:27
Dear Topher,

You have been taken hook line and sinker by the great Qantas PR spin machine. I am a pilot with Qantas International and am exceedingly concerned about the survival of Qantas as we know it and it is very troubling to me and my colleagues to watch such absolute dribble, untruths and plain unadulterated BS from the likes of you. I have never heard of you, but you initially appear to be an investigative kind of guy. I suggest you get your facts straight prior to making such a fool of yourself in a public forum such as this.

FACT: The Qantas pilots union (AIPA) IS NOT insisting Jetstar pilots be paid under the same award as Qantas pilots. That message is continuously being spread by the Qantas PR machine, Jet* CEO Bruce Buchanan, people like you and the wider media. It's time it stopped, right now. What we ARE requiring of our management is that if you, as the traveling public purchase a Qantas ticket to fly on a Qantas aircraft (i.e. Qantas red tail), that aircraft will be flown by a Qantas pilot. NOTHING to do with Jetstar pilots. They have their own award to deal with as they see fit. That's it. End of story.
FACT: We are asking for a 2.5% pay increase, plus other minor claims, at little or no expense to Qantas, and except for the above are negotiable (see Qantas Pilots (http://www.qantaspilots.com.au)).
FACT: No "Airline within an Airline" has ever worked, anywhere in the world, since deregulation in the 70's. This 'little" experiment is no different.
FACT: If you do your homework, you will find the Qantas board and Executive (23 people) have ONLY three areas of expertise (except Cosgrove - Military, and Rayner - Tobacco industry). And these three areas are: 1: Venture capital, LBO's M and A's, etc (i.e. the failed APA bid in '07 - thank God!), 2: Failed Airline, Ansett (roughly half of them), and 3: Low cost carriers. Not a PREMIUM man or woman amongst them!!
FACT: A.J. tells us we have lost International market share in recent years. He is correct. Qantas Intl market share is approx 19% however Jetstar in now approx 8%. ie we have lost the majority of our percentage to guess who? J*.
FACT: The other glaringly obvious reason for our loss of market share is that ever since the inception of J*, no investment has been made to the Premium product (other than the A380). Everything has been directed towards Jetstar. ie. gifted aircraft, favorable leasing terms, gifted routes, continuous use of QF infrastructure etc etc, bleeding the parent dry.
FACT: Approximately 6 months ago, A.J. tells the world Qantas Intl is performing very well posting an interim profit of 165M (approx) and yet 6 months later announces a forecast loss of 200M. How is this so? Who is cooking books here? Was he wrong 6 months ago? Is he is wrong now? You do the math.
FACT: We are the only major airline IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD that does not own, or have on order, the most efficient aircraft on the globe, the Boeing 777. It holds almost as many passengers, as much cargo, and will fly further than its rival, the B747. On ONE flight across the Pacific, it uses well over 40,000 kg fuel less than the B747. That's 40 Tonne o gas, Topher.
FACT: Management have been approached many times over the last 10 years (from Boeing reps through to us pilots) to purchase the above said money making machine yet they have steadfastly refused. Even after offers from Boeing for extremely discounted 777's due to the late delivery of the B787. Why? See next fact.
FACT: This board/Executive is deliberately marginalizing this beautiful iconic airline. If you care to research the composition of the Board and Executive, the players, the connections between them all, you will see a picture emerge that is not only incredibly un Australian but shows a greed beyond belief. (ie Former QF CEO Geoff Dixon's affiliation by way of his aircraft leasing company GAAM recently sold to FLY aviation leasing company for 1.4B who ironically are the ex-cronies of Babcock & Brown; Boston Consulting; the APA champions; John Singleton Ad Man himself, etc etc. The list goes on). Do your own research. Who stands to make money and where?
FACT: Our pilot salaries are comparable/competitive to most of the world's Premium Airlines (3-5% of ticket price) EXCEPT many airlines such as Cathay, Qatar, Emirates also provide accommodation, health care etc etc in some of the most expensive cities in the world! So how is it that given the above facts, Cathay & Emirates for example, are recruiting premium pilots at an astonishing rate right now, expanding fleet at an astonishing rate and making tonnes of money at the same time (1.6B in Cathay's case)!
FACT: Qantas will be investing (according to AJ) 500M in the offshore Jetstar product, and when the B787 arrives those aircraft are going to Jetstar. Again one has to ask where Management's true ambitions lay. They are certainly not with us. These collective bunch of greedy fools do not care one iota about our Australian icon or its dedicated staff who will be there long after every single member of this Board has moved onto richer and better pastures. Make no mistake Topher, if we (the collective pilots and engineers) fail with this Industrial Action, Qantas will cease to exist as we know it. This is about the Jetstarisation of Qantas and the greed of a certain few.

PS. If you have any investigative journalism integrity at all, I urge you to research the FACT's above, perhaps contact AIPA's or ALAEA's representatives and perhaps re-do your video with this new found information.

Regards.

600ft-lb
7th Aug 2011, 04:05
This guy is basically narrating the Qantas press releases and alan joyces speeches in his own annoying voice. He's not a journalist, there's nothing journalistic about what he is saying. In fact thats exactly what is wrong with journalism today, the fact that they are just repeaters of the official PR spin that comes from all companies.

If he actually researched what he planned on saying, he'd see that Jetstar has lost money big time in Singapore, lost money in vietnam (which caused 2 qantas executives to be prevented from leaving the country and that operation in vietnam is currently milking qantas for more cash at the moment), jetconnect and jetstar have lost money in new zealand.

In fact the 2010 annual report says, in relation to NZ and SIN ops
UNRECOGNISED DEFERRED TAX ASSETS
Deferred tax assets have not been recognised with respect to the following items because it is not probable that future taxable profit will be available
against which the Qantas Group can utilise these benefits:to the tune of $15million for NZ and $25million for Singapore.

Also as per the 2010 annaul report, to say that Qantas doesn't enjoy lucrative tax breaks in Australia would be an understatement.

Due to their excellent accontants and Australia's convoluted taxation system
-in 2009 Qantas was able to keep $1149million CASH and
-in 2010 Qantas was able to keep $1307million CASH
from their EBITDAR whilst paying $62million TAX.

To say Qantas needs to go offshore to survive, they already are offshore. Most of Jetstar's maintenance is offshore. Their aircraft are offshore. Their flight attendants are offshore. Jitconnect is offshore. Qantas's long haul has numerous offshore flight attendant bases. Jetstar pilots are offshore in NZ and Singapore. Qantas is sending a380 reconfigs off shore when the workforce in AVV is capable. A380 maintenance is offshore. Spare part supply is offshore.

Another interesting tidbit is where Qantas derives its revenue from. The figures have been removed from the 2010 annual report for some reason but they're in the 2009 report.
Australia $9760million
UK/Europe $1102million
Japan $384million
SE/NE Asia $668million
Americas/Pacific $948million
New Zealand $329million
Others $358million.
Segment Revenue
Qantas $10784million <-100%UK/Europe, 25% Japan, 90% Americas/pacific, 25% SE/NE Asia, remaining Australia
Jetstar $1646million <-75% Japan, 50% NZ, 75% SE/NE Asia remaining Australia as a total guess

Now I dare say, if the company is deriving a VAST majority of its income in Australia, where it was founded, its based (for now), its charging Australia prices (ie very high) to Australian passengers, it would hardly be considered very Australian to want to offshore most things.

The want to have their cake and to eat it too, to pay 3rd world rates of labour which is the main issue these days whilst still charging the full 1st world fares in possibly one of the most expensive air travel regions in the world really says something. Nevermind the fact that Australia is still a cosy duopoly with guaranteed income, there is NO threat at all to virgin and qantas from anyone. The corporate world these days which rewards complete total disregard for morals at the pursuit of the dollar is a very sad world to be involved in..

I know its cliched but if this is the plan, does the executive committee and the board have 3rd world rates of pay in store for them, or do you need to pay $12million for a CEO to attract the best, like old mate GD?

Now a critical thinking journalist is something I'd like to see. Currently in aviation we have, Ben Sandilands........ and thats it. The rest are PR repeaters.

framer
7th Aug 2011, 04:22
Is VH-CZA in the qantas sim center in melbourne or is it in the ansett one?
If it is in the Melbourne QF center then how did he get in there without help/support from qf? I guess someone must have signed him in....who? Why?

DirectAnywhere
7th Aug 2011, 04:54
Ansett. Sorry, no conspiracy there.

peuce
7th Aug 2011, 06:17
Just a couple of thoughts .....

If you guys took NO payrise at all ... would that save Qantas International (assuming it needs saving)?

Mr Topher, like Qantas, has only ever talked about "reducing costs" ... do Corporations no longer explore "increasing income" anymore?

Handbrake
7th Aug 2011, 08:19
Dear Tosser....oops typo, apologies....Dear Tophor,
I've got two words for you, dear innocent child, "Senate Inquiry".
Read it an weep!

Oh by the way, your university assignement smacks of undergraduate-****-I-ran-out-of-time effort. Stay out of the bar in future. D- FAIL

lame1
7th Aug 2011, 08:43
He says that he is completely independent from Qantas ,yet how did he get a seat in a simulator in a safety sensitive area at the QF sim centre.Just more PR spin from Qantas by a boy trying to make a quick dollar.Back up the words with facts.

600ft-lb
7th Aug 2011, 08:45
wV1lZMTCqf8

and to highlight the fact on the spin, Qantas has already been downsizing its international division, for the last 4 years. Jetstar has replaced Qantas flights and the profit has gone down.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/628/qfvall.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4981/qfintpax.jpg

Kelly Slater
7th Aug 2011, 10:24
Mr Tosser's video site lists his email address if you wish to pass on your opinion of his work.

unseen
7th Aug 2011, 11:00
Fact: AIPA is claiming mainline T & Cs for any flights with QF flight numbers (including codeshares) for the following - Jetstar, Express Freighters Australia, QantasLink 717s and Jetconnect.

Fact: There is no way possible that you could have any idea of the terms that Boeing would have offered QF for an aircraft purchase.

The The
7th Aug 2011, 11:33
Some people would have you believe Qantas management are wasteful, stupid and inept.

Give him credit for getting one thing right! Or is that actually three things he got right?

bgspilot
7th Aug 2011, 12:13
Has anyone heard of 60 minutes or Four Corners? My mate shares a place with Big Boss.. Try to find out more..

DirectAnywhere
7th Aug 2011, 12:27
He says that he is completely independent from Qantas ,yet how did he get a seat in a simulator in a safety sensitive area at the QF sim centre.

To be fair to management (and no, I can't believe I just said that either) that 737 sim is in the Ansett sim centre. It's not a QANTAS sim.

Check the rego in the sim (CZA). CZ- were the initial two letters in the Ansett 737 regos.

fix767
8th Aug 2011, 10:58
Is it Topher or TOSSER! What a knob.

KABOY
8th Aug 2011, 12:24
This guy is placing facts as they stand, rather than attack the man maybe you should be a bit smarter and play the ball, you might get more credibility that way.

Too little too late, but if you look at all of QF international's competition you will see that they have adopted a fleet pay scenario, something that may have helped the QF pilots cause.

600ft-lb
8th Aug 2011, 13:20
Actually KABOY, he has just repeated almost word for word what Qantas executives say in media briefings.

As you would understand you need a crisis or a perception of one to implement change with compliance. It makes it justifiable and palatable although painful at the end of the day.

There is a reason why there is such skepticism. Number 1, the lack of transparency in annual reports. Qantas Int/Dom has never been segregated in reports, its only Qantas/Jetstar/Freight etc.

Also, there was no mention of Qantas international doing it tough, its a very recent phenomenon. Even at the half year reports in December as per here;
http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/about/investors/2010HYMediaRelease.pdf
Alan Joyce is quoted in saying
Segment Performance
Mr Joyce said all operating segments of the Qantas Group were profitable for the half-year ended 31
December 2010, delivering significant EBIT growth.
“Qantas Airlines produced a strong revenue performance across both its international and domestic
operations, with Underlying EBIT of $165 million up 175 per cent on prior year first half,” Mr Joyce said.So was Alan Joyce lying ? Or was there a massive turnaround from February when he all of a sudden started going on the record saying the Qantas International division is losing money.
Qantas International slowly dying: Qantas CEO Alan Joyce - Flights | hotels | frequent flyer | business class - Australian Business Traveller (http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-international-slowly-dying-alan-joyce)
Qantas chief Alan Joyce said today there was "a real question mark over the viability of Qantas International" if it keeps going the way it is.In 1 month.
Amazing.
This is from the person who should know everything to do with the airline.
So is he lying or was there a dramatic turnaround that has caused the international division to be supposedly profitable to losing $200million. He submitted a statement in the form of the HY year report to the ASX stating all segments of the airline were profitable. I'm not accusing him of lying, he's just contradicted himself massively.

As per Alan Joyce's words the $200million loss must have been within the 6 months from December 2010 till June 31 2011. Assuming a worst case, it was breaking even on Dec 31 and -$200million June 31. That's over $1million a day in losses.

If on the other hand it has been losing money to the tune of $200million annual, assuming $100million for the half year to December 31, the Qantas segment as per the HY2011 report made an EBITDAR of $865million.

Yields have increased since then but lets just assume its a repeat of the 1st half to around $1600million EBITDAR.

International has lost $200million.

So as per Alan Joyce's inferring remarkable turnaround to the negative, and using information provided in reports provided by Qantas to the ASX, domestic ops, extrapolating the 1/2 year report to the full year, its possible that they have made $1800million EBITDAR for the full year.

On the other hand, per Bruce Buchanan's words, Jetstar makes no money on tickets and all of its money on muffins to the tune of $24 per passenger(google it). Jetstar carried 5million domestic pax and 2million international pax and 1.4million jetstar asia pax. Which is apprently $201,600,000 for the 6 months to December 21. Yet as per the half year report the group ancillary revenue was only $126,000,000, a decline on the previous year yet the fleet has grown :confused:

So, KABOY, when you actually look into the numbers, the words, what is on public record, it's very, very hard to not be skeptical to the extreme that what you're being fed is an inconsistant, complete load of ****.

TIMA9X
8th Aug 2011, 13:49
When you board a Qantas flight you expect....:)
GJ49RzKgqd8

spelling_nazi
9th Aug 2011, 03:46
There is a glimmer of hope for journalism in Australia...posted with permission ....

"G'day,

Thankyou for leaving feedback after watching Topher's Spotlight - QANTAS, and in particular thankyou for taking the time to explain your grievances with the video.

This video was my first attempt at a 'fast turnaround' video. My previous docos (the 'Unpopular View' series, about water politics) each took 5-8 weeks and cost over $10,000 (once you count my time, which I of course gave for free) to produce. Given that I drive a forklift in a warehouse to pay my weekly bills and receive no external funding, this cost is prohibitive and has limited me to producing only two videos a year. I decided to try a new 'fast turnaround' format to cut production time and costs.

The video you saw was produced in a few days and at a fraction of the usual cost, and as you have pointed out in your feedback, it shows.

I apologise for the factual errors contained in the video and the lack of depth in the research. It will not happen again.

To right this situation I will be making another video about QANTAS, produced my 'old' way. Weeks of research, hunting out source documents and asking hard questions. I intend to investigate questions such as the possible 'cooking of the books' by QANTAS to shift profit from QF to Jetstar, ask how QFInternational could go from reporting a $150Mill profit to a $200Mill loss so quickly AND to set the record straight on exactly what it is that AIPA are demanding.

I can't promise you'll like what I find or the conclusions I draw, but I do promise I'll do everything in my power to get to the bottom of these issues and answer as many of the tough questions as I can.

Feel free to reply with any further thoughts and in particular any leads you may have which could assist my research. Feel free also to pass this email address on to others in the industry who may be able to assist.
[email protected]

Regards,

Topher."

The Other Guy
9th Aug 2011, 04:56
Well well! Who woulda thought! Good on yo T. Your'e in the spotlight now, so go get 'em! Right the wrong and do the research, then another Vid, this one scathing of QF management and their destruction of Qantas. We'll make sure it gets out, and you get famous! Ahh, happy days....

blubak
9th Aug 2011, 06:20
Could this possibly mean having & using 777,s??? Maybe this genius 'TOPHER' could explain to us all why Qantas doesnt operate them and while he is at it tell us who made the decision not to own them-dont think it was a union decision!!:ugh:

my oleo is extended
9th Aug 2011, 06:24
Is he actually Wirthless with a new hairstyle ?? Or is it Dobby from Harry Potter ?

h.o.t.a.s.
9th Aug 2011, 07:47
Instead of insulting the guy, why don't you lot help feed him with the leads and evidence he needs to create the video that we all know could, and indeed should, be made? :rolleyes:

noip
9th Aug 2011, 08:04
c173 and Hotas,

Well said.:D

I thought Topher's delivery was pretty good - he obviously has a passion for what he is doing. Until I read his reply to SN, I was inclined to think he was simply a stooge for QF .. paid for ... and I couldn't bear to finish watching his mis-information.:mad:

However ..

Given that he has shown honesty and backbone in his reply - we need to explain to him WHY he has been mistaken. If our explanations are good enough we will convince him. He is not the enemy.

As for me? Yes, I'd like a subsequent video to be favourable - it COULD be a great positive for Australian Aviation, however more than anything, I want a truthful, honest video.

N

swh
9th Aug 2011, 08:41
Could this possibly mean having & using 777,s??? Maybe this genius 'TOPHER' could explain to us all why Qantas doesnt operate them and while he is at it tell us who made the decision not to own them-dont think it was a union decision!!

The 77W burns about 2-4t an hour less than a 744, with 26 744s flying 14 hrs a day at US$1047/t, means it costs about US$1-1.5 million a day more to operate a fleet of 744s.

The list prices of a 77W is US$284 million, and given standard industry discounts it would take over 8 years of operating 77Ws for the fuel difference to pay for the US$4.5billion investment in new aircraft. By the time they are paid off, the A350 will be in service, offering comparable performance of a 77W, with a 30t lower empty weight.

If QF were going to buy the 777, they should have done so years ago when they had a real competitive advantage. Today the A380 offers a 15-20% lower fuel burn per seat over the 77W, it no longer has the advantage.

noip
9th Aug 2011, 08:58
swh,

I would argue that your reasoning is "spreadsheet analysis". I fly the A380 and believe the 777 is a great machine to buy even now. It is here, it is proven and reliable. Not every route is suitable for the A380, and the A350 has yet to prove it can fly.

The answer to most problems QF has operationally is .... 777.

N

Exit Strategy
9th Aug 2011, 09:29
This is why no airline manager will ever achieve anything great (other than lining his own pockets) and why the various organisations that we work for are so poorly run.

&#x202a;Countdown To Teamwork 1 of 7&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

There are 7 parts.

swh
9th Aug 2011, 09:56
The answer to most problems QF has operationally is .... 777.

That would be as dumb as winding the clock back to 2000 and saying QF should buy more 744s becuase the 77W and A380 had not flown yet.

8 years later, all of sudden it is a good idea.

600ft-lb
9th Aug 2011, 10:14
Qantas 'billions' warning | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/businessold/qantas-billions-warning/story-e6frfh4f-1111113913502)

July 09, 2007 12:00AM

Mr Dixon later said Qantas was not interested in Boeing's 777 jet because it was old technology, and nor would the airline buy the proposed remake of the now 40-year-old 747 jumbo, which is to be given new engines and rebadged as the 747-8.

"We're not going to buy old technology that has been . . . I won't say . . . tarted up. But there, I said it," Mr Dixon declared.

In other words, they could be flying right now and could've complemented the 787 when it finally arrives.

Alas!

noip
9th Aug 2011, 11:32
ES,

The video series ... Wow ... most impressive .. Agree with your synopsis.

SWH,

Sorry, can't be bothered exerting the effort .....

N

Worrals in the wilds
9th Aug 2011, 12:28
Good response from Topher (if you're reading :}) and I look forward to seeing the researched video. No doubt it will end up on here one way or another.

The 'old' way is the proper way and how journalism used to be defined (as opposed to hack writing). Too many members of the modern press have chosen to forget that the basic premise of journalism consists of researching an issue and commenting about it. Even many established writers have sold their souls to write misinformed hysterical pieces that stir up the mob or keep the advertisers happy, rather than fact and fact based opinion. Then they bitch because people stop buying papers and rely on the internet, where at least the misinformed hysteria is free! :ugh:

However, apology notwithstanding it pays to remember the words of Omar Khayyam (1048-1131) who wrote long before the internet or even the printing press were ever thought of:

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

On the internet, what's said is said and what's done is done. The video is still out there despite the author's own admission that it contains factual errors. It will still be viewed and believed by many and Qantas may still use it for their own purposes. No apology or corrective video can change that and this is the problem with lousy, error filled reporting, particularly in the WWW era.

ejectx3
9th Aug 2011, 13:15
Instead of insulting the guy, why don't you lot help feed him with the leads and evidence he needs to create the video that we all know could, and indeed should, be made? :rolleyes:

I did exactly that .