PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter crash near Calgary: all OK but machine is a little bent

rotornut
6th Aug 2011, 13:15
Pilot, student walk away from helicopter crash (http://www.calgaryherald.com/Pilot+student+walk+away+from+helicopter+crash/5213858/story.html)

Two people were lucky to walk away relatively unscathed from a helicopter crash at the Springbank Airport on Friday morning.

Shortly before noon, a helicopter with two passengers, a student and instructor, was practising in the hover position, which is one of the most unstable spot for a helicopter to be in, according to Larry Stock, Springbank Airport general manager for the Calgary Airport Authority.

He said it looks like one of the skids on the helicopter touched the ground and caused the chopper to flip over on its left side, where the student was sitting.

The two people were left with cuts and bruises, said Stock. EMS treated them on scene but the pair were not transported to hospital.

“He (the student) is probably counting his lucky stars,” said Stock. “Both of them probably are.

“In the aviation world, they say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

The helicopter was not nearly as lucky with the routers severely damaged, the spine was weakened and the Plexiglas inside in the body shattered.

It was transferred to a nearby hangar and it’s unknown if the chopper is fixed.

“As an airport operator and general manager, you don’t like to see accidents that cause damage, especially severe damage,” Stock said. “However, when you see two people walking around, let’s just say it made my day.”

Stock said the accident was during an introductory flight, which he explained as a trial run for students to decide if they want to commit to more training.

He said they typically last between 30 and 40 minutes with the student taking control of the chopper briefly during the flight.

That being said, he doesn’t know who was at the controls when the accident happened.

The runway was shut down while the helicopter was transferred off. It was reopened about 30 minutes after the flight.

The fixed0wing runways were not affected.

Stock said the federal Transportation Safety Board has been involved from the beginning, although they weren’t required to visit the site since there were no injuries.

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/5213859.bin?size=620x400s

homonculus
6th Aug 2011, 14:03
Yep, my router keeps crashing too

Aubrey.
6th Aug 2011, 15:46
I'm guessing this might put the potential new pilot off flying for life! If you don't look at the blades, it doesn't look too bad, but I guess there's a lot more than meets the eye though. Will this be a write-off or repairable?

OvertHawk
6th Aug 2011, 17:37
It depends on your definitions - It's almost certainly repairable, but i'm equally certain the insurance company will write declare it an economic write off. (someone may well then buy the wreck and fix it anyway).

Glad they walked away
OH

Jarvy
6th Aug 2011, 18:32
Ground resonance?

vfr440
6th Aug 2011, 18:39
In the hover?? :confused:

Jarvy
6th Aug 2011, 18:58
It said one of the skids touched down. It also goes to show that not only Robinsons crash as some on here would have you believe.

rotornut
6th Aug 2011, 23:19
If you don't look at the blades, it doesn't look too bad, but I guess there's a lot more than meets the eye though.
However, what about the M/R dampers, T/R blades, T/R driveshaft, T/R gearbox, M/R transmission, engine teardown because of sudden stoppage - to name a few inspections? $$$ Having owned one I know these things are not cheap to prang:( Plus the plexiglass side windows are outrageously expensive!

Hedge36
6th Aug 2011, 23:52
On the plus side for the potential student: he's already had an accident, so statistically he should be good to go for quite some time... and I bet if he continues training he ends up being especially vigilant in the hover :ok:

newfieboy
7th Aug 2011, 01:21
Love this line in the press, quote

'The helicopter was not nearly as lucky with the routers severely damaged, the spine was weakened and the Plexiglas inside in the body shattered.

It was transferred to a nearby hangar and it’s unknown if the chopper is fixed.':D

Yeah right, just give me 20 minutes, it'll buff out......:ok:

Peter-RB
7th Aug 2011, 06:53
I think this could be done, by "Swiss Tony", his guys are a whizzo at quick repairs, you could change to colour as well!!:ok:

PeterR-B

ReverseFlight
7th Aug 2011, 08:17
the hover position, which is one of the most unstable spot for a helicopter to be in??? Try LTE ... :}

OvertHawk
7th Aug 2011, 08:39
Sounds more like LTA to me :E

FLY 7
7th Aug 2011, 09:08
Dynamic rollover

Two escape bachelor party chopper crash | Canada | News | Toronto Sun (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/06/two-escape-bachelor-party-chopper-crash)

CALGARY - Two men escaped serious injury after the helicopter they were in toppled over during a hover practice at the Springbank Airport Friday.

About 11:45 a.m., the two-passenger Schweizer aircraft carrying a qualified instructor and a passenger was hovering about 1.5-2.5 metres off the ground when it rolled onto its side, said Larry Stock, airport general manager.

"Fortunately no one was seriously injured. Unfortunately, there was substantial damage to the aircraft," Stock said.

The two men were taking part in a familiarization flight, in which an instructor explains basic flight techniques to a passenger.

Stock said there's typically dual controls involved in these kind of flights, but it's not clear in this case whether the instructor or passenger was using controls at the time.

The chopper is registered in the U.S., though it is used for flight training in Canada.

It's believed Friday's flight may have been part of a bachelor party.

"If it was a wedding party, they have something to talk about for the rest of their lives," Stock said.

Calgary EMS was called out to the area to assess the men, but neither required transport to hospital.

Despite tens of thousands of flights each year, the rollover is fairly unusual at the Springbank Airport.

"When you think about the amount of movements that we have at Springbank -- this year we're looking at approximately 140,000 movements -- this is a rare event," said Stock.

The Transportation Safety Board was made aware of the crash, but after evaluating the situation decided not to launch an investigation.

That typically means there were no systematic safety deficiencies, said spokesman John Cottreau.